Of those which I've already received, the five newest are:

Harmonia Mundi 50th Anniversary Boxed Set

Lang Lang - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Yundi Li - Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.2, Ravel Piano Concerto

David Oistrakh - Shostakovich & Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Julia Fischer - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #2,598 of 6,671
Eminem - the slim shady LP
Michael Buble - Come Fly With Me (DVD +CD)
Metallica - kill 'em all/metal up your ass
wink.gif

Metallica - ride the lightining
Metallica - master of puppets
Metallica - and justice for all

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #2,601 of 6,671
Not sure why so many people only post images of the CDs in this thread, be more fun to read something about the what and why, but I can be silly too
smily_headphones1.gif

Be a long time if I waited for a full five these days, but a couple recent ones for me ...

51Ay%2BHH5ceL._AA240_.jpg

61pCHlNEf1L._AA240_.jpg

51fori6JbcL._AA240_.jpg

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2,602 of 6,671
Radiohead - B-sides disc 1 and 2
Radiohead - me and this army
Radiohead - I might be wrong (live recordings)
Radiohead - Live Netherlands

my collection is complete. I even manged to get a hold of the orginal kid-a booklet. Just need to rip tracks to flac and convert the book to a pdf so I can tuck these away safely.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #2,603 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erik friedlander - block ice & propane
brightblackmorninglight - bright black morning light
murcof - cosmos
pole - steingarten
erik friedlander - prowl

That's a pretty sweet list. I just ordered "Cosmos" because of the push; been meaning to try Murcof for a while. "Steingarten" was played a-lot around here. I dig it. There's a remix album out that I just ordered as well. I don't buy much Jazz (need to change that), but my bud is a Friedlander fan. "Topaz" is always in her car. She thinks I listen to crap.
biggrin.gif
Can't disagree.

The lesson, bring your pics, your lists, or your impressions. None of it's silly to me. People like I read 'em all!

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #2,604 of 6,671
Just received three SACDs from a fellow Head-Fier"

Haitink/LSO
Beethoven Symphonies Nos 2 & 6; Nos 5 & 1; No 7 & "Triple"

I am very impressed and have literally just ordered the rest of the symphonies
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2,605 of 6,671
Bruce Cockburn - Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner In Timbuktu
John Scofield - This Meets That
Genesis - Duke
David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees
Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Chicago - 19
Bryan Adams - Into The Fire
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming
Yes - Fragile

...this week - so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #2,606 of 6,671
I'm getting a bit out of control!

Bizet: Carmen Fantasie - Ricci, London SO/Gamba(JVC, XRCD24)

Cantate Domino (FIM, K2HD)

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake - L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande/Ansermet (FIM, K2HD)

The Reiner Sound - Chicago SO/Reiner (Living Stereo, CD)

A Hi-Fi Spectacular - Boston SO/Munch (Living Stereo, SACD)

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe - Boston SO/Munch (Living Stereo, SACD)

Stokowski Showcase - National PO/Stokowski (EMI, CD)

Bartók: Concerto For Orchestra, Etc - Chicago SO/Reiner (Living Stereo, SACD)

Beethoven: Symphony No.9 - London SO/Haitink (LSO Live, SACD)

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos.4 & 8 - London SO/Haitink (LSO Live, SACD)

Beethoven: Symphony No.3, Leonore Overture No.2 - London SO/Haitink (LSO Live, SACD)

Lots of ripping to come. Bloody hell I just finished ripping the Harmonia Mundi 50th Anniversary Boxed Set (29CDs) and 6 other discs a bought recently. It was the tagging that took a long time...

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #2,607 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty sweet list. I just ordered "Cosmos" because of the push; been meaning to try Murcof for a while.

hey, thanks. liking the earlier murcof a bit better than this one. the first one seemed like pure soundscape and experimentation, then he started sampling arvo pärt and strings and it worked, and then there was a remix of some of his stuff, too... so from now on I always get what's new from him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Steingarten" was played a-lot around here. I dig it. There's a remix album out that I just ordered as well.

ah thanks, have to look for that too. enjoy the weekend

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #2,608 of 6,671
Van Halen:
Van Halen I

Women and Children First

Rush:
Permanent Waves

Signals

Presto

Snakes and Arrows

Queens of the Stone Age:
Rated R

Lullabies to Paralyze

Era Vulgaris

Why did I make these purchases?

Van Halen - I wanted some fun Rock-n-Roll that reminded me of high school. I won't be buying any CDs with Sammy Hagar fronting the group, though.

Rush - I like Rush a lot. They are talented musicians, and I enjoy listening to their lyrics. Their albums are good for trying out headphones, too. Besides, Moving Pictures was getting lonely.

Queens of the Stone Age - I discovered them via... the video game series "Guitar Hero." Ha-ha! Yeah, I play that game with my son as often as I can. 3's & 7's, off of Era Vulgaris is on "Guitar Hero 3," and it is very catchy to my ears. So, I read up a bit more on the band at allmusic, and I thought I'd like to hear more.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2,610 of 6,671
Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall - Most Jazz nuts probably already know the backstory of this one (thought lost, found in a bin at the Library of Congress in 2005) - the performance is just as good as you'd expect. Two masters, and it really shows.

Mercury / Dorati - Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture - I agree with the reviews that say that while the Telarc has better sound quality, this recording is infinitely more musical, and I'm quite glad I chose to purchase it over the Telarc.

Dream Theater - Awake - Listening to Petrucci's album (see below) made me feel like picking up some Dream Theater. Power Metal's not for everyone, but this album is stunningly done - better even than most of DT's other works (which are largely excellent) in my opinion.

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby (SACD) - I don't have the CD version to do an A/B test with, but this album is brilliant no matter how you look at it. I reccomend it to be in everyone's library.

An Evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess - This album changed the way I listen to guitar players. Petrucci and Rudess are both established virtuosos, but together they're unbelievable. Rudess goes the entire (live) album without a single mistake - it's unreal. Petrucci's acoustic playing is excellent if a bit harsh at time, but his skill on electric - especially tracks 4 and 10 - transcends music to become pure ecstasy.

The Dubliners - Spirit of the Irish - Some nice easy listening - catchy tunes, sung nicely. The performers have genuine Irish accents, which adds to the effect. I enjoy it even if it won't enjoy a permanent slot in my CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back