--------------

Penvzila:

How do you like these?:

Theorem - Ion
Plastikman - Consumed
Robert Hood - Internal Empire
Vladislav Delay - Anima

I am sorry I bought any of them.

However, i am very happy with my recent purchase of several Venetian Snares releases. Making Orange Things, ********ers EP, and 7 Sevens Med. Now I have all of his cds that are available and almost every other song in mp3 format. I was dissapointed when i listened to Smojphace for the first time though. I will definitely be downloading the next RDJ release before i pay for it.

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #276 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
However, i am very happy with my recent purchase of several Venetian Snares releases.

Someone (perhaps you) told me to check these out -- what's a good place to start?

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #277 of 6,671
Yanni "Ethnicity"
Yanni "Tribute" (on MD from the DVD)
Virgin Classics Digital "Mozart Piano Sonatas Vol. 4 and 5"
50 Cent "Get Rich or Die Trying" (soon)

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #278 of 6,671
My Latest:

CDs
VSNARES > 2370894
(written at the same time as Doll Doll Doll but is nothing like it)
Mitchell Akiyama > Temporary Music
(for people who like the idea of trained musicians programming dub with elements of musik concrete; imbeciles have complained it's too close to Pole and Vlad. Delay)
Pub > Single
Ulrich Schnauss > A Strangely Isolated Place

SACDs
William Schumann > Credendum, Piano Concerto (John McCabe, Piano)
Bill Evans > Waltz for Debby (It's a piano player thing -- you probably wouldn't understand how I could buy an album with the word *waltz* in the title)

Software
Reaktor 4 was just delivered to my door!

---------------------------------------------
Mentioned on another thread previously:

CDs
Jirku/Judge > plusism
Biosphere > Substrata; Man With a Camera
Taylor Deupree > stil
Aki Onda > Precious Moments
SACDs
Mahler > Third Symphony and Kindertotenlieder > Michael Tilson Thomas (worst singing I've ever heard)
Shostakovich > Chamber Symphony Op. 110a; Schnittke > Concerto for Piano and Strings
--------------------------------------------

Penvzila:

In that case, may our aesthetic parallels fade unobtrusively into the ashtray labyrinths of chance.

DC:

I have Doll Doll Doll, Winter in the Belly o' uh Snake and 2370894 and recommend all three (I'd listen to the last one last, as it's the most difficult (unless you like that sort of thing, which I happen to).) [EDIT: It's also phrenetic: gape at penvzila's avatar long enough and you'll understand why he likes it.]

I keep walking into stores that have just sold their last copy of Find Candace. I refuse to order it because I live in New York and why, for the love of sodomy, should I have to?

The other reason for you to have Doll Doll Doll, Find Candace and Winter in the Belly of a Snake is because Trevor Brown is responsible for the artwork. Even if you hate the music, you can't go awol, Sailor Sun Mung Beetle Bean Foam Manchu Curtsey Moon Pilot Lightly Seasoned Professional Desktop Hat Catering Chimp Dropped Your Pantoums.

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #279 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
My Latest:

SACDs
Bill Evans > Waltz for Debby (It's a piano player thing -- you probably wouldn't understand how I could buy an album with the word *waltz* in the title)

Bill Evans is one of my favorites, and this is a great record.

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #281 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Bill Evans is one of my favorites, and this is a great record.

I understand that *you* might know what's good about Bill Evans, as would every jazz critic who's ever written for Downbeat or The Village Voice. My point is that a person who prefers to listen to IDM, Venetian Snares and Autechre exclusively might not -- especially if the Evans album has an insipid and unironic title (which, unfortunately, *Waltz for Debbie* does).

I happen to like Evans because he had the best technique and subtlest touch (and pedal style!) of any jazz pianist I've ever heard. Someone who can't even listen to Vladislav Delay without getting restless might miss that fact.

Tatum, Monk, Tyner, Horace Silver and Teddy Wilson are great pianists, too, but for utterly different reasons. Evans is the opposite of such iconoclasts. He's the suggestive space around their matter.

"I sure learned a lot from Bill Evans."
-- Miles Davis

But I have to be honest with you: I've never loved the head of the title track of this particular album. I prefer the polyrhythmic quasi-hocketed solo tangents on that piece to the written parts; I prefer the other cuts in toto. As a composition, the Waltz seems a wee Hank straight. I find myself waiting for Milestones.

Jun 18, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #282 of 6,671
Damn, this thread have been here for a year already.

This was the CDs I brought last two weeks:
Metallica - St.Anger + DVD
Saliva - Back Into The System ( Rest In Pieces, is the best!)

Rock On this summer !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #284 of 6,671
- Radiohead " Hail to the Thief" - hail to the the Radiohead, if you aren't planning to buy any CDs in the nearest future, but one - HTTF is the way to go, simply stunning
- Future Sound of London "Isness" - 6 years and a different sound, a must for FSOL fans, for those who curious I would suggest other albums
- Apocaliptica "Cult" - definitely worth attention
- Sigur Ros "Agaetis Byrjun" - you all know about that one
- Amorphous Androgynous "Tales of Ephedrina" - side project from the Future Sound of London

Jun 19, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #285 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Someone (perhaps you) told me to check these out -- what's a good place to start?

Winter In The Belly Of A Snake

Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006

Songs About My Cats

These three are not as extreme as some of his other stuff, so I guess they make a good 'starting place'. I think Higgins is his best/most complete work. If you like this sort of thing, then the sky's the limit because I swear he has never made a bad song in his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back