You have to wonder what Jan is up to...
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
Visiting the Meier Audio amplifier page, an unmistakable trend has been emerging. The Symphony 2 DAC/Amp was discounted and now it is  "!! SOLD-OUT !!". It no longer shows a price and it doesn't look like it is coming back.

The list goes on: The top-of-line Concerto is "!! Sold out !!". Again there is no longer a price for it and it also doesn't look like it is coming back. The Stagedac is no longer avaialble in Silver. I am guesiing that when the last black units sell, that will be the end of that too

Hmm...  I do believe that all of this is pointing to something interesting.  Here is my guess...  a new integrated DAC and Amp that combines the dual DAC design, digital filters and extended crossfeed of the Stagedac with the headphone amp design and 64 step attenuator of the Concerto. There were some odd redundancies with using the separate Concerto and Stagedac units together (i.e dual crossfeed - the better one on the Stagedac - and dual volume controls - the better one on the Concerto). They also were different widths so they didn't stack elegantly.

Put them together and you would also have a killer DAC/preamp. The Stagedac aspired to do this but with the poorer old-style volume pot as well as a compromising jumper system. (That jumper technology is overdue to be abandoned on the home units - as it has been with the mercifully jumper-free Stepdance.)

We will see how my soothsaying skills pan out. But I am sure that there must be something interesting going on. If I am correctly guessing Jan's direction, this could be the next great solid state home headphone amp/preamp for computer audio.

Jan could call it... the Concert Stage.
biggrin.gif

Waiting patiently here... 
popcorn.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
Visiting the Meier Audio amplifier page, an unmistakable trend has been emerging. The Symphony 2 DAC/Amp was discounted and now it is  "!! SOLD-OUT !!". It no longer shows a price and it doesn't look like it is coming back.

If Jan's website is up to date there are some Symphonys left at the "specials" site..

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
If Jan's website is up to date there are some Symphonys left at the "specials" site..

You're right. It is still there. But since it is sold out on the main page, I think that the Specials page may be out of date.

Anyway it confirms part of my theory. He says: "Limited stock. This amp will not be replaced."

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks Szadzik. I'm quite intrigued by this. Im just finishing upgrading my portable system. It may be time to look at my home gear. I couldn't stand the redundancies and wasted space of the otherwise attractive Concerto plus Stagedac. If I'm right that Jan is creating a high end integrated system, I may jump at it. :)

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 15
So all in all we'll have to wait :) :)

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Apr 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 15
I've been wondering this for a while since he essentially discontinued the Concerto a while ago. At least it was hinted at when the black ones were out of stock and he said there would be no more anyway. Very intrigued, and wish he would give us a rough timetable on when me might be seeing/hearing what he has in the pipeline...

-Daniel

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 15
I've always liked Jan's amps. My first really good headphone amp was the HA-2 Mk II. Nice amp. Had a bunch of his amps and have always been impressed. I've no idea what he is up to, but clearly he is up to something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back