You Are What You Listen To
Aug 23, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ham Sandwich

Headphoneus Supremus
An interesting study out of the University of Cambridge.

You Are What You Listen To
Quote:

It may not be possible to judge a book by its cover, but judging someone by the contents of their iTunes library could be a very different story, new research suggests.

Studies at the University of Cambridge have revealed that many of us use musical taste both as a means of expressing our own identity, and to form and refine our opinions about other people.

Researchers found that sample groups of subjects regularly make the same assumptions about people's personalities, values, social class and even their ethnicity, based on their musical preferences.

And a video piece about The Music In Me

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Interesting indeed!
I would not be surprised if the music you listen to tell you a bit about who you are. Energetic, relaxed, happy, sad, dark, ...

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title of that article should be "People think you are what they think you listen to"

Or "People think you are what they think people who listen to that music are like"

I don't fit well the mentioned steretypes for the music I listen to. It does bring up the issue that if you publish your music tastes on something like last.fm that people could draw some wrong conclusions about you.

It would be fascinating to talk with the professor at say a pub over a few pints. What is it that draws me to the music that I enjoy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back