Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #226 of 393
  Wahsmoh,

Yeah, "Spectral SDR-2000 Pro", darn my keyboard skills.  Paid a bit over $2K, but I am very pleased with the unit.  Incredible sound, PRAT is sweet.  I just want to listen longer, and that is what I want from my system.

Jim

not to mention these vintage DACs were state of the art for their time

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #227 of 393
My Yggy is here. It is connected. And making sound.

And I am on the verge of tears... quite literally. I cannot believe what I am hearing. I am beside myself. A track I've played hundreds of times, and yet... yet....

You say it will only get better with warm-up? I need to invest in Kleenex.

WOW

(a thank you to Mike, and Jason, and everyone there at Schiit)

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #228 of 393

And I am on the verge of tears... quite literally. I cannot believe what I am hearing. I am beside myself. A track I've played hundreds of times, and yet... yet....

WOW

Same here, i can't believe it will get better. Could be partly due to the fact to the new toy syndrome, but the feelsssssss and presence with this dac is awesome. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #229 of 393

WOW

So glad to read this! Can't wait to get mine whenever I can afford it...

I like your avatar, by the way!

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #231 of 393

Yggy is here. Let the warm up begin

I know it is supposed to come into its own after a week, but given yours and Purrin's experiences with Yggy, how long should we let it warm up before doing any listening?

I put this glorious ******* DAC in my rack at 3pm, headed back to work, came home, took care of dinner, did some chores, and fired it up at 9pm. It sounds great. I'd turn it on and listen.

A week from now I might change my tune because it sounds even better, but I'm ecstatic right now with Yggdrasil > Ragnarok > modded HD800s.

Its rack mountable now too??

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #232 of 393
Apr 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #234 of 393
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have any thoughts on the sound of the Spectral Vs. the Yggy?

@ohhgourami has heard both and owns the Yggy. Ask him.

@Greed might be a good person to ask. He owns the Spectral and he ordered Yggy. Give it a week or so before you ask him.

Would you say getting the Yggy and only using its single ended output is a waste of money?

I'm running Yggy single-ended. The SE output combobulates the balanced outputs, so you don't lose much if any. In other words,  I don't worry about it and you shouldn't worry about it. This hobby is OCD enough anyways.

You say it will only get better with warm-up? I need to invest in Kleenex.

Sometime from the next few days to a week, something will "kick-in", you will notice something, or rather you will notice nothing. It just kind of hits you out of the blue... 

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #235 of 393
  Would you say getting the Yggy and only using its single ended output is a waste of money?

Not a waste of money. I've been switching between the two using the same amp and SE sounds great. There is a difference – balanced sounds more open with a wider sense of space, and the balanced signal is also noticeably stronger (requiring significant volume adjustments to compare them). But they absolutely serve up the same deliciousness. The amp you listen through will have far more impact than SE vs. balanced off the Yggy.

Sometime from the next few days to a week, something will "kick-in", you will notice something, or rather you will notice nothing. It just kind of hits you out of the blue... 

Thanks, purrin. I suspect it may have hit already.  :)

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #237 of 393

I'm running Yggy single-ended. The SE output combobulates the balanced outputs, so you don't lose much if any. In other words,  I don't worry about it and you shouldn't worry about it. This hobby is OCD enough anyways.

Not a waste of money. I've been switching between the two using the same amp and SE sounds great. There is a difference – balanced sounds more open with a wider sense of space, and the balanced signal is also noticeably stronger (requiring significant volume adjustments to compare them). But they absolutely serve up the same deliciousness. The amp you listen through will have far more impact than SE vs. balanced off the Yggy.

Thanks for your answers guys :)
Reading about this DAC really tempts me to pull the trigger on it. There's the little thing about the price... especially with shipping + taxes.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #238 of 393

Thanks, purrin. I suspect it may have hit already.  :)

You're running rag, the difference is probably there 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #239 of 393
How hot does the Yggdrasil get? Would it be wise to put a cd player on a yggy, either on top or the bottom? Just curious thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back