Yet another thread asking for help on what to buy! (~$20)
Mar 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swordknight

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here haha.

This thread has probably been posted so many times already, but I'm looking for some cheap IEM's (no more than $30) that you guys think are the best for me!

I live in Canada, I listen to pretty much any type of music, but I guess that I am more bass biased, so something with a punchier type of bass would be good.  I don't want the bass to overpower everything else and make it all muddy though. I currently own the HD 438 cans and I can say that I love how cold and seperated the instruments sound, but it's lacking bass for me.

These will almost exclusively be used around the school, and I tend to wrap my earphones around my mp3 player, so something with a strong cord will be imperative, please :)

I've looked around, and it seems like the JVC Marshmallows and MeElectronic M9's are the better ones in this market.  I'm wondering which of the two would be better for me, or if there are any other suggestions, then feel free to post them!
Thanks in advance guys, let me know if there's any more information needed!

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 14
In that price range, you might wanna consider the M6. However, I think the M9 would beat out the marshmellows, based on reading.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Overall the M6 just sounds better. Bass is more controlled and bleeds into the mids less. Mids are less recessed. Highs are very sparkly. (Maybe too much.) The only thing I would say the M9 wins in is airiness. One thing worth mentioning about the M6 is some people have trouble with the fit. But then some people have trouble with the M9 too. My advice is if the M6 only a few dollars more get it--unless you do not like the over ear design, in which case I would the M9.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

I checked that thread out, thank you! I can't believe I missed it! *feels stupid*
It seems like the M9's are quite good for the price range, but now it's hard for me to pick =[

Quote:
Overall the M6 just sounds better. Bass is more controlled and bleeds into the mids less. Mids are less recessed. Highs are very sparkly. (Maybe too much.) The only thing I would say the M9 wins in is airiness. One thing worth mentioning about the M6 is some people have trouble with the fit. But then some people have trouble with the M9 too. My advice is if the M6 only a few dollars more get it--unless you do not like the over ear design, in which case I would the M9.

Yeah, the only issue I have is that it's quite over the ear :/.  But what do you mean by "airiness" sorry there's still some terms I'm trying to learn!

[size=medium]

Quote:
My friend recently got the re2 from headdirrect...they sounded pretty darn good for $29 but not sure how long they'll last

[/size]

Hmm, anybody have any comment on these?

Thanks for the quick replies guys, this forum is so nice and helpful! <3

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 14
Mar 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 14
"Airy – Spacious and open. Instruments sound like they are surrounded by a large reflective space full of air. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back