Yamaha YM-303 Headphones
Nov 10, 2004 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pistachio

Head-Fier
I was searching through some old crap my family has been keeping in the garage for god knows how long, when I came across a pair of Yamaha YM-303 headphones. I tried using them but they recieve a very weak and intermittant signal, this is obviously a problem with the cabling of the headphones, and as such it IS possible for me to repair it.

At first glance they seem like they may have been good in the past. The ear-pads are leather and seem of high quality, the actual cans themselves are really cheap looking plastic, so I have mixed feelings abou them. They sit quite uncomfortably on the ears, but this is in comparison to my A500's, which are quite comfortable.

The question is, does anyone have any experience with these cans? Are they worth the effort? What do they sound like? Searching google turned up next to nothing.

May 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 12
nothing special imo
http://www.sahibinden.com/yamaha_ym-303_provesyonel_kulaklik_-41WQQaXQQ25521479WQQpXQQdisplayitem

May 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Dope headphoness!! I love the big ass, Beefy. Look

May 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Personally, although I love the form factor of many vintage headphones, those headphones are really quite ugly (IMO obviously).  Most headphones with individual volume controls for each channel tend to have very poor sound (as the potentiometers are of very poor quality).  If you want a vintage Yamaha, go for an orthodynamic.

MrJohnny:

Check out the Stanton Dynaphase 
beyersmile.png

May 19, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Look cheap. I had a very similarly built 30yo Sony set that I tried recabling and wish I hadn't. The pads are uncomfortable now and I don't think the cans were ever really comfortable. They also sound worse than any $10 JVC can from walmart. No lower/low end, no upper highs, no detail or sharpness to sounds. I can just imagine 30 year old paper drivers twitching back and forth trying to produce notes.

These could be nice though, build quality doesn't always affect the sound. Maybe try taping the cable in a way so you can listen to a few songs on them and decide if they're worth a recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back