Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #991 of 1,588
Tokyo Headphone Festival (Spring event), 29-Apr-2023, Yamaha Headphone Amplifier HA-L7A:

HA-L7A.jpg

Twitter Yamaha Audio , large picture - there's also a short video on Yamaha's Twitter, showing some internal components of the HA-L7A:

Components.jpg

Rear.jpg

See also the dedicated thread about the HA-L7A - Head-Fi.org .

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #992 of 1,588
Tokyo Headphone Festival (Spring event), 29-Apr-2023, Yamaha Headphone Amplifier HA-L7A:

HA-L7A.jpg

Twitter Yamaha Audio , large picture - there's also a short video on Yamaha's Twitter, showing some internal components of the HA-L7A:

Components.jpg

Rear.jpg
omg! it surprised me that two weird looking cylinders are enclosures for toroidal transformers! looks like an really serious discrete solid DAC/Amp.

I found an article that disclosed some more details (not sure how reliable it is though).

"The two protrusions are equipped with a toroidal transformer that supplies power for the headphone power amplifier.
The output as a headphone amplifier is very powerful at 1,000mW + 1,000mW (32Ω 1%). Equipped with DAC, adopt ESS 9038PRO. Works as a USB DAC, capable of native playback up to PCM 384kHz/32bit and DSD 11.2MHz. It also has a coaxial digital input and an optical digital input.

Also equipped with RCA and XLR pre/line out. In addition, although the details are undecided, the high sound field correction technology used in AV amplifiers etc. is also introduced into this amplifier, and it is said that it will be a product that can enjoy new ways of enjoying headphones by utilizing such correction."

https://www.world-today-news.com/ya...amp-ha-l7a-at-spring-headphone-festival-2023/

May 6, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #993 of 1,588
Found out some things since my previous impressions... I was using a danacable lazuli ref for the yh5k but since then I have tried the stock cable. I think the stock fixed most of my issues previously mentioned, mainly the timbre and the overall sense of weight. So I thought the stock cable worked better in terms of synergy with the yh5k but didn't match the danacable in performance. So imo it held back the yh5k just a bit in terms of synergy. Since then I decided to get a new cable for it but it won't come for a while...

Anyway, I got around to doing a comparison to the utopia on the same chain (ie. linn satie → crayon cha-1) since I was curious about this myself. My thoughts are kind of scattered but I'll share it anyway...

Utopia pre-20 VS YH5K

These two cans are a lot similar I find, they still sound different ofc but in terms of overall sonic picture, they’re very similar in goals. Both seem to go for that ‘analytical reference’ type of sound. Hands down the bass on the yh5k is just better (not surprised)–well-extended, textured, and more realistic. The utopia can slam a bit harder though but I’d rather take quality over quantity in most cases. For mids, it’s a little unfair since I think the dana synergizes much better with the utopia but, in general, the utopia is the wetter (slightly extended decay) of the two while the yh5k is dryer here, and both seem to emphasize the upper-mids a little more, with the yh5k having the more accurate and less smoothed-over texture. The treble performance are both standouts imo but both are different in their presentation. The utopia gives me the impression of, “I have all this potential in the treble but I don’t want to overwhelm you so I’m chillin’ (ie. smooth).” The yh5k, on the other hand, has this vibe of “I’m shoving all this treble down your throat cause I know I do it well but I won’t hurt you (ie. delicate).” Resolution-wise, I’d say on this chain the yh5k pulls out a bit more information here and, in addition, has slightly better depth, focus, and timbre/tone. Last thing to mention here is that the utopia likes to impress you with some party tricks–dynamics are more exaggerated and the stage presentation is holographic with a spherical shape. The yh5k doesn’t really have that and is likely the more natural of the two (although both aren’t particularly natural by default imo), but it does like to impress you with its heightened sense of clarity.

Tallying all these points individually, it seems like the yh5k mostly takes it here… BUT really it comes down to whether you want a smoother more romantic sound sprinkled with some party tricks (ie. exaggerated dynamics, holographic spherical staging, and slam) with the utopia or the more cleanly focused, heightened, and open-sounding yh5k… and ofc your chain and tastes, etc… Both are great cans but if I had to personally pick (on this chain) I’d choose the yh5k (with a different cable), it has quickly become my 2nd pick.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #994 of 1,588
What the hell? You described the Yamaha YH-5000se and Uptopia sound signatures like opposite of each other that I heard from other reviewers. Many ones said that Utopia is a neutral to bright headphone and Yamaha YH-5000se sounds like a vinyl headphone. In Australia Yamaha YH-5000se is about 7k500$ I think. Hopefully I save enough to buy one in the future.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #995 of 1,588
What the hell? You described the Yamaha YH-5000se and Uptopia sound signatures like opposite of each other that I heard from other reviewers. Many ones said that Utopia is a neutral to bright headphone and Yamaha YH-5000se sounds like a vynl headphone. In Australia Yamaha YH-5000se is about 7k500$ I think. Hopefully I save enough to buy one in the future.
Well i said they sound different but have similar goals when looking at the overall picture. They both try to give you insight on the recording itself rather than sounding true to life like other hps such as the mysphere, d8kp, and susvara (only heard briefly). But they present it differently which is what I tried to articulate. If that didn't get across then idk that's the best i can do right now, I'm just sharing my experience on this chain.

I can see it sounding like a vinyl hp if you have the suede pads on sure, but i don't like em so I've been using the leather pads.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #997 of 1,588
Really enjoyed this track on the yh5k, I thought it showcases its strengths quite well (with leather pads)...

Thanks for sharing. I also enjoyed the music with my YH-5000SE (leather pads). In a slightly dark mood, many instruments appear on particular points of the stage one by one, or at once sometimes, with every tonal detail visible, while all are united on the continuous tight bass and drums behind all. Great music!

May 14, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #998 of 1,588
I tried the YH-5000SE with the Yamaha amp/dac HA-L7A at the Sydney hifi show for 15 minutes 28 April 2023. My initial impression, fortunately listening to music I am familiar with, very detailed smooth presentation. Very balanced across bass/mid/treble. I listened to Peg by Steely Dan and cowgirl by underworld. Sounded really good, because of the headphones lightening speed to resolve these complex tracks . Certainly from this initial experience I would recommend them for well recorded EDM and rock. I suspect poorly recorded music will not sound so good as they are very revealing of the mix - just like the Utopias are, as previously stated.

May 14, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,002 of 1,588
Reading the review makes me want to save more money to buy one. Never a fan of Sennheiser housesound. HD600 and 650 make me feel bored and slow. HD800s are so picky at equipments. My ears like Japan headphones more than Western headphones. Not a fan of Hifiman with build quality.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,003 of 1,588
I agree with this comment in the review:
These headphones allow a microscopic analysis of his voice if required, but also let the listener sit back and just enjoy the experience. Rarely have we come across a piece of hi-fi that’s so capable of putting a spotlight on the smallest of details but still encourages the full musical experience to shine through.

YH-5000SE responds to my attitude of listening and gives me what I requested. That's why I wrote it was a "machine" in my first impression.

( I cannot judge the rest of the review because I haven't had a chance to compare utopia and YH)

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,004 of 1,588
I've been trying to purchase a pair here in Singapore. Unfortunately, the country has yet to import any. I completed a purchase with Music Direct but they refunded me the money as they cannot sell the YH-5000SE internationally. It seems like you can only purchase in your home market. My options are to wait and hope that Singapore gets some or fly to Japan lol!

May 16, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,005 of 1,588
I've been trying to purchase a pair here in Singapore. Unfortunately, the country has yet to import any. I completed a purchase with Music Direct but they refunded me the money as they cannot sell the YH-5000SE internationally. It seems like you can only purchase in your home market. My options are to wait and hope that Singapore gets some or fly to Japan lol!
My siblings are in Japan right now on a trip. I was hoping I could get them to pick me up a pair but stores in Japan don't have any in stock either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back