Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Dec 22, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #421 of 1,563
Yesterday (Dec 22) was the release date of YH-5000SE. But no report of arrival was found in Japanse SNS. Perhaps the number of the first shipment was very limited, or delay because of heavy snowfall since Monday. (Or, only "gray market" buyers obtained)
Yodobashi announced you should wait for shipment for four months. If you order now, you will get it in April.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #422 of 1,563
Yodobashi announced you should wait for shipment for four months. If you order now, you will get it in April.
Just looking at the Fujiya Avic webpage, they indicate if you order now, you can expect them to be shipped starting in late February 2023. All the other accessories (e.g., extra pads, cable, etc.) are also scheduled for release in late Feb.

I haven't been, but the website says they have one on display in Nakano?

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #425 of 1,563
The pads look quite shallow (and cup diameter quite small): has there been any feedback from individuals who might have issues with ears touching the inside of the headphone?

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #426 of 1,563
My ears protrude a lot, and I don't think there is any headphone where my ears don't touch some part of the inside, but what matters is what material it touches. If there's a thin piece of fabric covering the inside, that's better than my ears touching hard plastic or metal. I too am interested in what material is on the inside where ears could make contact.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #427 of 1,563
The pads look quite shallow (and cup diameter quite small): has there been any feedback from individuals who might have issues with ears touching the inside of the headphone?

From the impressions posted so far in Japanese SNS and blogs, no one reported that problem. In addition, some said the earcups were deeper than expected.

My ears protrude a lot, and I don't think there is any headphone where my ears don't touch some part of the inside, but what matters is what material it touches. If there's a thin piece of fabric covering the inside, that's better than my ears touching hard plastic or metal. I too am interested in what material is on the inside where ears could make contact.

The earpads have thin mesh at the bottom. Ears do not touch the inside of the metal or plastic parts directly.

711_pad.jpg

Photo from Fujiya-avic

Almost all of those who wore YH-5000SE said the comfort was top-tier. Some added the clamping force was weak. I guess the inside of the earcups is carefully designed to manage ears in a comfortable position, though, the shape of the skull and earlobes are varied and individual. It may cause unexpected issues, like 3D wing support of audio-technica did.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #428 of 1,563
Someone posted sound demos of the yamaha on its own and another against susvara. I asked on one of them what the user thinks of the yamahas sound, just waiting for a response. Seems to be driven well from a portable device. I wonder how much leaks from that cups design. Also from those videos, the yamaha is reference like to me while being a little more forward sounding than susvara, with a little more bass punch and has a little more pronounced treble and air I think. Susvara also seems to sound more like its in a closed off room with less reverb. The yamaha could make for a good pick for live recordings.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #429 of 1,563
Dec 24, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #431 of 1,563
Why this post is not at High-end Forum
Great question!

When I was making the thread, I thought about posting it in the high-end forum, but ultimately decided to post it here. You are correct though, its place is under the high-end forum..

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #432 of 1,563
Still a "normal" can though, they may be ten times more expensive than premium cans but the SQ gain is probably in the single digit percent realm, if any. Law of diminishing returns.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #433 of 1,563
Some reported arrival of the pre-ordered YH-5000se and open-box impressions. Actually, not much good impression (too dry, narrow sound stage, vague bass, etc.). Some of those who auditoned at the shops last week also mentioned "disappointed," contraly to the preferable comments in the series of audio-shows. This contrast suggests YH-5000SE demands at least a few hundred hours of burn-in. Needs time to see comprehensive and fair reviews.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #434 of 1,563
My other two ears in Asian have already told me about this model

NOMAX

PS.He said in a conversation with me that any Utopia/Nutopia or Stealth is a godsend compared 😇
(5.500 Euro ❗❗️)
lol

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #435 of 1,563
Some reported arrival of the pre-ordered YH-5000se and open-box impressions. Actually, not much good impression (too dry, narrow sound stage, vague bass, etc.). Some of those who auditoned at the shops last week also mentioned "disappointed," contraly to the preferable comments in the series of audio-shows. This contrast suggests YH-5000SE demands at least a few hundred hours of burn-in. Needs time to see comprehensive and fair reviews.

Yes let's see what others report about it and how far some reviewers will comment on it 👍

NOMAX

PS.At least someone at Yamaha has thought about the construct, but this is only half of the rent at the announced european price

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back