Yamaha RX-V371 or dedicated amp/dac for Sennheiser HD 650
Nov 26, 2016 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DigitriX

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

In around 5 days I shall be proud owner of Senn HD 650 and now I am wondering whether the receiver I have (Yamaha RX-V371) will be good enough for the headphones...?
If not, could you please recommend a headphone amp/dac in the range of 150-200€ ($160-210) which will make a big difference compared to the Yamaha for the money it cost?

My setup will be: 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips played on foobar2000 (using WASAPI) on Windows 10  -> Yahama or Headphone amp/dac -> Senn 650.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Ivo

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Check this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/768188/unmasking-headphone-jack-specs-from-yamaha-receivers
In simple words, the Yamaha won't behave as a flat amplifier for HD650, boosting the mid bass. You might like it or not.

Headphone amplifiers like the Magni 2 Uber, FiiO K5 or JDS O2 will be perfectly neutral for HD650 so it will sound as intended.
You might consider the Vali 2 as a good sounding tube headphone amplifier, in case you want a tube adding its magic (and distortion) to the sound.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your input!
I will definitely check the sound that comes out of the Yamaha and will make a decision. I did check Schiit's products as well as Mayflower's O2+ODAC, but shipping outside US is not cheap...

I was thinking about considering also USB sound cards like Asus and Creative. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 6
  Thank you for your input!
I will definitely check the sound that comes out of the Yamaha and will make a decision. I did check Schiit's products as well as Mayflower's O2+ODAC, but shipping outside US is not cheap...

I was thinking about considering also USB sound cards like Asus and Creative. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

I normally prefer audiophile or professional products over those by Asus and Creative which tend to be more consumer orientated.
Some of their products are not bad like Asus STX, but even then I would pick something else for the price.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 6
  In around 5 days I shall be proud owner of Senn HD 650 and now I am wondering whether the receiver I have (Yamaha RX-V371) will be good enough for the headphones...?
If not, could you please recommend a headphone amp/dac in the range of 150-200€ ($160-210) which will make a big difference compared to the Yamaha for the money it cost?
My setup will be: 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips played on foobar2000 (using WASAPI) on Windows 10  -> Yamaha or Headphone amp/dac -> Senn 650.

While a typical headphone jack on a receiver is not the best choice for driving headphones.
You might have to spend more then what is in your budget to make a noticeable improvement, over using the Yamaha.

For the price of the RX-V371, I'm guessing it comes with low costing DAC chip(s).
You might consider getting a (used, 60 Euros?) sound card, like the Asus Xonar DX (PCI-E) or D1 (PCI) and run a cable from the Xonar Line-output/Headphone jack, to the line-inputs (RCA) on the back of the Yamaha.
If you have no need for sound card features, then get a Hifimediy optical or USB DAC (40-60 Euros) and connect it to the Yamaha's line-input jacks.
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back