yamaha keyboard headphone opinion
Mar 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

serious7

500+ Head-Fier
I'll keep this short and straightfoward.
I need a closed headphone that gives the best possible quality sound, that is affordable (around 200 dollars), can be used in my yamaha keyboard, can be used for my mp3 player, and therefore needs to be portable and comfy.

The specifications of my keyboard :

Jacks/Connectors
MIDI (IN/OUT), PHONES, " OUTPUT (L/MONO, R), SUSTAIN PEDAL, AUX PEDAL, USB TO HOST, DC INLET

Specifications of mp3:
standard connector that most mp3's use like on an ipod.

I realize that the keyboard and mp3 player might use different connectors so I need one that works for both purposes. I looked at these headphones that I like:
-Sennheiser HD25-II
-AKG 271s
-Bose Around Ear Headphones
http://www.bose.com/controller? url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/around_ear_headphones/index.jsp

I have no knowledge on the connectors for headphones so will any of these products work on both the keyboard and standard mp3 player? Also if someone has a better recomendation for a headphone that'll fit my needs, please recommend me lol.

And a side question, why does everyone hate bose other than the fact that they don't publish thier products technical details and that it may be over pricy? I'm a complete newb in headphones and I tried out the bose around ear headphones the other day and it sounds reaaaaaaaly good compared to the ear plugs that came with my phone. Although I haven't tried out any other headphones so I can't really compare.

Thanks!!!

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by serious7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll keep this short and straightfoward.
I need a closed headphone that gives the best possible quality sound, that is affordable (around 200 dollars), can be used in my yamaha keyboard, can be used for my mp3 player, and therefore needs to be portable and comfy.

The specifications of my keyboard :

Jacks/Connectors
MIDI (IN/OUT), PHONES, " OUTPUT (L/MONO, R), SUSTAIN PEDAL, AUX PEDAL, USB TO HOST, DC INLET

Specifications of mp3:
standard connector that most mp3's use like on an ipod.

I realize that the keyboard and mp3 player might use different connectors so I need one that works for both purposes. I looked at these headphones that I like:
-Sennheiser HD25-II
-AKG 271s
-Bose Around Ear Headphones
http://www.bose.com/controller? url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/around_ear_headphones/index.jsp

I have no knowledge on the connectors for headphones so will any of these products work on both the keyboard and standard mp3 player? Also if someone has a better recomendation for a headphone that'll fit my needs, please recommend me lol.

And a side question, why does everyone hate bose other than the fact that they don't publish thier products technical details and that it may be over pricy? I'm a complete newb in headphones and I tried out the bose around ear headphones the other day and it sounds reaaaaaaaly good compared to the ear plugs that came with my phone. Although I haven't tried out any other headphones so I can't really compare.

Thanks!!!

That's the reason why. Most people find the Bose to be amazing because Bose is much better than the standard earbuds that come with mp3 players. However, when the same Bose headphone is compared to headphones within the same price range, you'll also be amazed by how good those other headphones sound compared to the Bose.
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

are they better than Sennheiser HD25-II?
Ive read that sennheiser is loved by many but I have not heard of roland..

Comparing the two FWIR...

The HD25-1 II is supraural, more portable, not as comfortable for longer use, easier to drive, more fun sounding.

The RH300 is circumaural, less portable, more comfortable for longer use, harder to drive, flat sounding.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 14
What size is the headphone jack on the keyboard? Is it the same size as the jack on your mp3 player? Is the headphone jack on the keyboard mono or stereo? I know some keyboards, at least older ones, have a mono headphone jack. If yours does, you'll need to by a mono to stereo adapter.

One headphone I own would fit what you're looking for is the Equation RP21. It's easy to drive from my iPod and comes with an 1/8" plug with an adapter. It's circumaural, but the ear cups are shallow and some people don't like their ears touching the baffle.

People also talk up similar studio monitor headphones from Audio Technica and M-Audio but I haven't heard them and I don't know how they are from an MP3 player.

Quote:

sorry im not familiar with those terms...could you clarify them english ? lol..

Supraaural means the sit on your ears, circumaural means the pads go around your ears, unless you have really big ears. Flat sounding means that no frequency range is more prominent than any others. In other words, the bass, mids, and treble all sound around the same volume. Not all headphones are like this. Many cheap, consumer headphones emphasize the bass and it overwhelms the mids.

Some supraaurals are uncomfortable because they clamp hard. From what I've read, the HD25-1 is in this category.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K271 will be great...second option will be the Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1.

I don't have either so I don't know, but can they be driven well by a DAP?

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 14
ON the technical details of my keyboard it says this.

Jacks/connectors: MIDI (in/out), phones, output (L/mono, R), sustain pedal, aux pedal, USB to host, DC inlet

I assume that the phones connector is larger than the one found in mp3 players..Do these headphones that ppl suggested require amps? I dont want to use amps.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 14
I can pretty much guarantee that the "phones" slot is a 1/4'' jack. That's what it's called on every keyboard and guitar effects unit I've seen. Many headphones come with a 1/8 -> 1/4 adapter, which means you would be able to plug the headphones into an MP3 player, and use the plug/adapter to connect them to the keyboard. Otherwise they're pretty cheap on their own, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that.

I haven't, however, tested enough headphones to be much help in actually picking headphones. Sorry about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back