Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jan 1, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,732 of 3,295
His Aliexpress shop shoild be stocked in a few days time..he mentioned 7th

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #2,734 of 3,295
Today I received my Brainwavz hybrid pads, comfort is great, but with that pads yammies became little brighter, bass is fantastic, very detailed . but there is an annoying treble spike that I don't enjoy. 

Have you done the sorb mod? It reduces the highs, tightens the bass and brings out the mids.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,736 of 3,295
  Today I received my Brainwavz hybrid pads, comfort is great, but with that pads yammies became little brighter, bass is fantastic, very detailed . but there is an annoying treble spike that I don't enjoy. 

Hmmm, i wouldn't recommend the hybrid pads for the Yammies, they sucked out the mids for me. Sorb mod is definitely better. YMMV and I'm going to try the hybrid pads again right now just to make sure.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #2,737 of 3,295

thanks. then, I definitely need to try that. 

This is how you do it, right?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/1905#post_11903766
http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/lightbox/post/12031757/id/1485549

Read this.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/1845#post_11897944

Doing the sorb mod with the hybrid pads makes the yammies delicious. =)

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2,738 of 3,295

Hmmm, i wouldn't recommend the hybrid pads for the Yammies, they sucked out the mids for me. Sorb mod is definitely better. YMMV and I'm going to try the hybrid pads again right now just to make sure.

yes. I also noticed that.. the biggest issue for me was that treble spike. vocals became so unnaturally brighter. I couldn't listen much longer, my ears became so fatigued.  btw what Brainwavz pads you recommend with yammies ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,739 of 3,295
  yes. I also noticed that.. the biggest issue for me was that treble spike. vocals became so unnaturally brighter. I couldn't listen much longer, my ears became so fatigued.  btw what Brainwavz pads you recommend with yammies ?

For me personally all pads I tried had some kind of trade-off that i didn't enjoy, so i stuck with the stock pads..........and just did the sorb mod. I previously did a dynamat extreme mod which is the same process but i gave that pair to a friend when he freaked out after hearing them. I'm on my 2nd pair of yammies now and I did the sorb mod to them. I never A/B'd sorb/dynamat mods.

The hybrid pad mod as I just listened boosted the treble and made things sound less intimate, so it's back to the stock pads for me. 

Also, I highly recommend tube amps for the yammies, they hit the stratosphere on the ones I've tried.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,740 of 3,295
  yes. I also noticed that.. the biggest issue for me was that treble spike. vocals became so unnaturally brighter. I couldn't listen much longer, my ears became so fatigued.

Just tame it with a parametric equalizer. Problem solved.
L3000.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #2,741 of 3,295
ok guys... this thread is kinda quiet...but it isnt dead, 
cos we have in our hands one of the finest cans in headfi. :)

i have been tweaking the yammie out of habit... (whilst the MONK is in my ears)
with materials in my drawers..
and one variation finally blew my " ...fill in the cliche here "  :p  
...would rate this mod  the best sound i ever heard from the yammie yet.

what i am hearing :
T1clarity, even tempered highs, open deep spatial clean "hear through" sound,
tight layered  bass with some good amount of body...no excess resonance. 

=========================

The ingredients :
HM5angledvelorpads,  1mm thin foam sheet, scissors, tweezer.

open up the 4screws on the yammie ,
replace that stockwhiteFELT with a thin disc of 1mm thin foam u can find in your drawer.
( doublestack or triplestack for moarbasss)

Next, take a tweezer and pull out that small stub of foam from the center of the driver. 
(the foam isnt glued on, so reversible.  i just used my finger n wiggled it out :p)

screw back the 4screws...
and doublestick some corkchopstrips above the vents to stop the pads from smouldering/covering the 7holes. 
slap the hm5velorpads back on. 

Notes :

i am using the Audiogd dac.amp .
the thin 1mm foamsheet is from the MartinLogan box.
2layers sounded optimal, 3 layers closed down the depth a notch but u get more bass.
( the stock white felt gave a hard impact sound, doesnt work. )

this martinloganfoam is kinda crispy and hole-ly..
took this pic with the foam over my laptopscreen to give u a clue.  
U have to improvise with what u have in your unwanted boxes :p

===============
Additional OPTIONAL tweaks that UPSIZE  this latest YAMMIE sound.. 
if u hv 40bucks to spare :p

buy this...
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/14-18-stereo-adapter
and this...
http://v-moda.com/shareplay-extended-audio-cable/

plug them into the chain n ENJOY that expanddddded sound !!

caveat : if u are one of those who cant hear diff in cables...dun try this.  :p

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,742 of 3,295
I'm just comparing the HPH MT-220 against the Focal Spirit Pro, which I considered the best headphones I listened to so far. Well, I was right, until I put on my brand new MT-220s.
I was just blown away by the soundspace. Much deeper bass, clearer (never harsh) highs. Just made any known recording exciting to listen to again.
Whereas the FSP was an extremely good companion for the last year, I now think it has found it's master.
The MT-220 sounds just so much more exciting while revealing at least the same amount of detail - maybe even more.
I'm now listening to Kamasi Washington's Change of the Guards (CD rip) on my DX 90 (Lurker's FW 2.3.0) and it's just amazing.

Thanks go out to Music Alchemist for making me want to try the Yamaha.:wink:

P.S.:Brainwavz Hybrid Pads already ordered.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,743 of 3,295

The hybrid pad mod as I just listened boosted the treble and made things sound less intimate, so it's back to the stock pads for me. 

Also, I highly recommend tube amps for the yammies, they hit the stratosphere on the ones I've tried.

I'll have to try one of those tubes someday!

As far as the hybrid pads are concerned, with the stock pads I felt that the highs were boosted a bit too much for me resulting in fatigue after a while. And it seemed that the hybrid pads tamed the highs to my liking. I'm going to have to try swapping the pads though to make sure I'm not smoking anything :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,745 of 3,295
  I'm just comparing the HPH MT-220 against the Focal Spirit Pro, which I considered the best headphones I listened to so far. Well, I was right, until I put on my brand new MT-220s.
I was just blown away by the soundspace. Much deeper bass, clearer (never harsh) highs. Just made any known recording exciting to listen to again.
Whereas the FSP was an extremely good companion for the last year, I now think it has found it's master.
The MT-220 sounds just so much more exciting while revealing at least the same amount of detail - maybe even more.
I'm now listening to Kamasi Washington's Change of the Guards (CD rip) on my DX 90 (Lurker's FW 2.3.0) and it's just amazing.

Thanks go out to Music Alchemist for making me want to try the Yamaha.:wink:

P.S.:Brainwavz Hybrid Pads already ordered.

I should have kept track of all the people who got an MT220 because of me.
cool.gif

I don't recall whether you were one of the FSP owners who disagreed with any of my criticisms, but perhaps you understand what I meant now. What I'm blown away by, though, is the Koss KTXPRO1, since it cost almost nothing, yet much of the time, it's the most enjoyable and exciting headphone. (For me, that is.) For pure accuracy, I still think electrostats are the best, but they have many "practical use" disadvantages such as open-back, need dedicated amp, not portable, etc. (Not counting the Shure KSE1500 electrostatic closed-back IEM.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back