Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 23, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,411 of 3,295
Hi folks,

Been keeping an eye for a DAC-Amp combo for the MT220. I have gone through many posts in the DAC-Amp threads, but most of them are with higher impedance phones and often for people looking for a coloured signature. I am hoping for advice specifically with this headphone, hence the post in this tread.  Please suggest.

What I am looking for:

* Good sound quality; especially at low volume levels (not so happy with the MT220 as yet, burn in likely to improve this though)

* Transparent sound (see next point)

* The headphones are loud enough as it is, but would be happier with more body, especially in the mids. Seems a bit doubtful that further burn in may clear up the mids enough.

* Besides the mids, the purpose would be to improve the soundstage/imaging and separation of instruments. Would hopefully improve the texture of sound as well.

* Sources to be used: Laptop (Realtek HD as of now) which is of comparable quality to the other source - a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (International version). Likely to be changing this another Android within a year - likely to be another Samsung, quite possibly another Note.

* Portable device highly preferable.

Limitations and other points:

* Very limited budget. (As mentioned before, things feel a lot more expensive in India due to PPP/exchange rates - say about 6+ times of the US)
* Very limited options available here in India. Without getting into very expensive stuff, mainly FiiO products available here. ( http://www.fiio.net/en/products )
* Would prefer to buy from here, but if nothing suitable available, would again seek favours and wait a long time for some friend to get it from another country (US/Canada or elsewhere)
* Absolutely hate the idea of any hiss from the system.

Options from FiiO:
(Prices in India in USD equivalents. Model names linked to the website with their product description)

* E6 : Less than USD 30. Only an AMP. No DAC, so almost ruled out.

* E07K : Prices fluctuating between USD 94 to 110 on Amazon.
      Brief chip specs from Headfonics
      Op amps: AD8692 and MX97220, DAC: WM8740
      (An interesting detailed review can be found here)

* E17K : USD 149.
      Brief chip Specs from Headfonia:
            SA9027 USB Receiver, together with the PCM5102, OPA1622 as low pass filter & OPA1642+LmH6643 for the Line Out.

* E18 : USD 172. Way too expensive for a FiiO and really don't want to spend as much, despite it providing a battery backup for the phone. Also quite bulky.
      Brief chip specs from Soundnews
      ALPS volume pot, USB interface from Tenor, Ti BurrBrown 1798,

A basic comparison amongst the above three models on their website can be found here.

As of now, I am inclined towards the Fiio E07K. Possibly E17K.
Does anyone have an idea if one would need a L9 cable for connecting to the line in/out? The L9 costs about USD 22 here - would rather buy the E17K in that case, which surely takes in regular cables and is supposed to have a better Amp section. May use the Line out to connect it to a bigger Guiatar Amp etc in the future.

Has anyone tried the MT220 with FiiO products or ones with similar chips? If yes, please share your experience.
If the experience is not good enough, would rather defer the purchase to a much later date for a good portable DAC-Amp.
Thanks for reading such a long post
smile.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,412 of 3,295

What I am looking for:

* Good sound quality; especially at low volume levels (not so happy with the MT220 as yet, burn in likely to improve this though)

* The headphones are loud enough as it is, but would be happier with more body, especially in the mids. Seems a bit doubtful that further burn in may clear up the mids enough.

* Besides the mids, the purpose would be to improve the soundstage/imaging and separation of instruments. Would hopefully improve the texture of sound as well.

* Sources to be used: Laptop (Realtek HD as of now) which is of comparable quality to the other source - a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (International version). Likely to be changing this another Android within a year - likely to be another Samsung, quite possibly another Note.

At least for laptop use, you could consider getting a cheap but good DAC such as the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC and then pair it up with a good amp. I haven't heard the MT220's, but I'm guessing that they'd sound great off of the U2 DAC plus an amp like the Cayin C5 (most of the stuff that I have does).

This doesn't take care of all of your requirements, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,413 of 3,295
Btw, for portable use I just use the xuelin 770 dap. Cheap, great sq, and has enough power to push most of my gear nicely (without having to stack an additional amp). I bet the mt220's would sound great off of it as well. I should get me some mt220's one of these days!

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,414 of 3,295
hEddy, it seems to take 150 hours burn-in before it starts to sing and 200 hours + it really starts to shine.

I had my doubts also but because of my belief in burn-in (some people do not)

On my laptop I use a Geek-Out 450 got it for £100 from Amazon UK (was £200) found it better than AQ Dragonfly and Dac-Magic.

I have a Hidizs AP100 £200 Amazon UK as my portable DAP after having Ibasso DX50 and 90, Fiio X1, X3 and X5.

I still have X1 (200hrs burn-in required - did not like when new)) and mainly use it for its line-out source and also good with IEM's for jogging etc.

I have just tried the mt220 with the X1 and the sound is quite good but the AP100 is more powerful and has better soundstage.

I also have had Fiio E12A and Cayin C5 and overall preferred the E12A but it depends on the source, the C5 paired better with my I-pod touch 2G than it did with the E12A.

I also reckon the C5 will pair better with the DX90 than with the E12A.

The Fiio X3ii could be your answer and can be used as a USB-DAC. Try and have a listen to it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #1,415 of 3,295

happy_face1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Here we go Guys a new thread called:

A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775356/a-bit-of-music-and-a-bit-of-fun

I am hoping for some good music and different music from all parts of the world in any language.

No rules - just music, videos and a bit of fun and anything you want to share with us (legally of course).
mad.gif
angry_face.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif
Light-Man

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,417 of 3,295
Quote:

At least for laptop use, you could consider getting a cheap but good DAC such as the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC and then pair it up with a good amp. I haven't heard the MT220's, but I'm guessing that they'd sound great off of the U2 DAC plus an amp like the Cayin C5 (most of the stuff that I have does).

This doesn't take care of all of your requirements, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

Btw, for portable use I just use the xuelin 770 dap. Cheap, great sq, and has enough power to push most of my gear nicely (without having to stack an additional amp). I bet the mt220's would sound great off of it as well. I should get me some mt220's one of these days!

hEddy, it seems to take 150 hours burn-in before it starts to sing and 200 hours + it really starts to shine.

I had my doubts also but because of my belief in burn-in (some people do not)

On my laptop I use a Geek-Out 450 got it for £100 from Amazon UK (was £200) found it better than AQ Dragonfly and Dac-Magic.

I have a Hidizs AP100 £200 Amazon UK as my portable DAP after having Ibasso DX50 and 90, Fiio X1, X3 and X5.

I still have X1 (200hrs burn-in required - did not like when new)) and mainly use it for its line-out source and also good with IEM's for jogging etc.

I have just tried the mt220 with the X1 and the sound is quite good but the AP100 is more powerful and has better soundstage.

I also have had Fiio E12A and Cayin C5 and overall preferred the E12A but it depends on the source, the C5 paired better with my I-pod touch 2G than it did with the E12A.

I also reckon the C5 will pair better with the DX90 than with the E12A.

The Fiio X3ii could be your answer and can be used as a USB-DAC. Try and have a listen to it.

Thank you for your replies, @waynes world and @Light - Man. I appreciate it.

Though I am all for component systems for home audio, I find it bothersome to add too many devices up on my desk or while on the move, so am limiting my choices to one device (combo DAC-Amp). For the same reason, I also never really carried a DAP ever. There is also an issue with getting things shipped all the way to India, also with the risk of getting a bad piece (some time back, had an issue with a FiiO E6 by a local vendor, and I could return it quite easily).

--------------

With limited local availability, let me simplify and limit the current need. If I but one now, it would need to be a FiiO unit purchased locally. What I am pretty unsure of is if it would colour the sound or improve things (mids with more body, soundstage/imaging/layering, texture) with the MT220. The experiences posted on the forum vary a lot.

If there is someone out there who has used a MT220 with FiiO (preferably E07k, E17k or E18), please share your experience. It would go a long way in helping me choose the right gear. Also please mention if your headphone has had a proper burn-in. This headphone is changing a whole lot with time.

With how loud they already are even at 50% volume and with the impedance rating etc an amp seemed of questionable use, but user experiences with DAC-Amp combos improving things substantially make me want to go for it. Can recollect comments to this effect by @Arttt & @Solduios

-------------

Why the rush?
In case the opinion is towards things not being suitably improved, I will defer the purchase to a later date. Ideally I would have liked to wait for a proper burn in with a couple of hundred hours as @Light - Man too suggested. However, these units are showing as the last pieces on Amazon India (prefer to buy from them) and other mainstream online-sellers. If I miss those, it may just make the purchase needlessly tedious.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,418 of 3,295

I read that the Fiio X3ii output is 200 mW @32ohm. I presume that is "per channel". If so, wouldn't that be enough to drive the mt220's well?

edit: I'm just asking out of my own curiosity.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,419 of 3,295

I read that the Fiio X3ii output is 200 mW @32ohm. I presume that is "per channel". If so, wouldn't that be enough to drive the mt220's well?

It seems that driving the MT 220 is not really an issue. It is only 37 Ohms and rated at 99 dB SPL. Ratings aside, have found it louder than models rated with a lower impedance and higher sensitivity (even 114 dB). I usually take specifications on such matters with a grain of salt.

I expect a DAC to make most of the improvement for this HP. The amp will hopefully contribute to making the sound even fuller. My guess - and it is only a guess - is that with todays gadgets being so very frugal on power, they probably don't supply adequate power at the right time to allow that. This even had me quite inclined towards a FiiO E10k, which is even cheaper than the E07K and is supposed to have somewhat better sound, but lacks portability, due to it having better access to power (which, I presume, would change the design).

Just yesterday, I noticed that the E17K lasts lesser time despite it having a bigger battery than the E07K. Most would take that as a negative, but my vague guess is that it would contribute to adequate power being available in the E17K when needed, thereby leading to improved sound. This gets me a little more inclined towards the E17K Yes, it sounds crazy to evaluate products in such a manner, but let us say we all have our quirks (would be difficult to justify my line of thinking enough, so being called quirky is simpler 
wink.gif
)

PS: @waynes world :In case you are  considering these headphones, despite what some of my posts may have made it seem, they are very impressive. I can't be conclusive as yet as they are changing quite a lot with a gradual burn-in, and changing predominantly in the right direction.

X3ii and DAP:
Why I am not really considering the X3ii is that it is really a DAP, with a significant part of it's resources (money spend) being towards that objective. It is about 2.5 times the price of an E07K and from what I can see, it lacks an analogue input for it to be used as an amplifier for the Samsung phone. I really don't fancy the idea of putting and updating my music on yet another device.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,420 of 3,295
Listening to "God save the Queen" closing song on the LAST NIGHT OF THE PROMs 2004 by Leonard SLatkin...
it is like BEING THERE...thru the yammie,

very few cans can do this "poorly recorded" album justice.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-Proms-2004-LIVE/dp/B0007YMS2W?sa=X&ved=0CBYQ9QEwAGoVChMI1OCHq6f0xgIVgZCmCh2xag5S

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,421 of 3,295
  Hi folks,

Been keeping an eye for a DAC-Amp combo for the MT220. I have gone through many posts in the DAC-Amp threads, but most of them are with higher impedance phones and often for people looking for a coloured signature. I am hoping for advice specifically with this headphone, hence the post in this tread.  Please suggest.

What I am looking for:

Limitations and other points:

* Very limited budget. (As mentioned before, things feel a lot more expensive in India due to PPP/exchange rates - say about 6+ times of the US)
* Very limited options available here in India. Without getting into very expensive stuff, mainly FiiO products available here. ( http://www.fiio.net/en/products )
* Would prefer to buy from here, but if nothing suitable available, would again seek favours and wait a long time for some friend to get it from another country (US/Canada or elsewhere)
* Absolutely hate the idea of any hiss from the system.

Options from FiiO:
(Prices in India in USD equivalents. Model names linked to the website with their product description)

* E6 : Less than USD 30. Only an AMP. No DAC, so almost ruled out.

* E07K : Prices fluctuating between USD 94 to 110 on Amazon.
      Brief chip specs from Headfonics
      Op amps: AD8692 and MX97220, DAC: WM8740
      (An interesting detailed review can be found here)

* E17K : USD 149.
      Brief chip Specs from Headfonia:
            SA9027 USB Receiver, together with the PCM5102, OPA1622 as low pass filter & OPA1642+LmH6643 for the Line Out.

* E18 : USD 172. Way too expensive for a FiiO and really don't want to spend as much, despite it providing a battery backup for the phone. Also quite bulky.
      Brief chip specs from Soundnews
      ALPS volume pot, USB interface from Tenor, Ti BurrBrown 1798,

A basic comparison amongst the above three models on their website can be found here.

As of now, I am inclined towards the Fiio E07K. Possibly E17K.
Does anyone have an idea if one would need a L9 cable for connecting to the line in/out? The L9 costs about USD 22 here - would rather buy the E17K in that case, which surely takes in regular cables and is supposed to have a better Amp section. May use the Line out to connect it to a bigger Guiatar Amp etc in the future.

Has anyone tried the MT220 with FiiO products or ones with similar chips? If yes, please share your experience.
If the experience is not good enough, would rather defer the purchase to a much later date for a good portable DAC-Amp.
Thanks for reading such a long post
smile.gif

These headphones are a strange beast they are easy to drive but like power.. the harder they are pushed the better they sound. Of course at some point you will just end up damaging your hearing =D.

I dont have any other dac/amp to compare my dragonfly usb dac/amp ver 1.2 against but enjoy the way it sounds so far. I have heard http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437760542&sr=8-2&keywords=dac%2Famp is decent entry level one as well only $64.00.

I am tempted to add some resistance to this headphone as an experiment... to see where the ceiling is as right now I cant push these full power w/o killing my eardrums.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,422 of 3,295
  These headphones are a strange beast they are easy to drive but like power.. the harder they are pushed the better they sound. Of course at some point you will just end up damaging your hearing =D.

I dont have any other dac/amp to compare my dragonfly usb dac/amp ver 1.2 against but enjoy the way it sounds so far. I have heard http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437760542&sr=8-2&keywords=dac%2Famp is decent entry level one as well only $64.00.

I am tempted to add some resistance to this headphone as an experiment... to see where the ceiling is as right now I cant push these full power w/o killing my eardrums.

Interesting you say that now, @Solduios. I too find the same - that they sound a lot better when pushed harder, so I have ended up hearing them louder than I normally would. This too is one of the factors in going in for a DAC-Amp. I suspect that, along with burn-in, will help in it sounding better at lower volumes, which is a quality I appreciate in setups. I want to hear all the sound well, without pushing the system.

So, as I was playing the guitar and monitoring through this, enjoying it more and more and playing harder and at higher volumes, I seem to have strained my ears a bit last night. A slight ringing sound and a slight sense of fullness in my ears and head for a while. Probably the first time in many months that I didn't play or hear music for almost 24 hours now.

I checked the aforementioned DAC-Amp, however it is not available locally from any major seller, and importing it seems like a poor idea.

Please do post your observations with your resistance experiment. It sounds interesting.

Keep your eardrums safe, mate, while I recover from my overzealousness.
blink.gif

Edit: Despite all this, the glorious sound of the lowest string of the guitar is still there in me and it was a lovely experience, despite the strain. It sounded so rich and with texture when struck rightly - with how the intended "distortion" from the strike would sound in an acoustic setting.

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,423 of 3,295

I tend not to pay too much attention to specs as I believe there is no agreed set standards to compare from brand to brand.

From what I have heard the Fiio X3ii has a little more powerful than the X1.

I have the Yamaha HPH-200 which are about 60 Ohms, the MT220 are about 50 Ohms and my X1 drives them both reasonably well.

The combination of the Geek-Out 450 and the MT220 is absolutely superb, really loving it!

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,425 of 3,295
a new headphone sounds loud but theres " little " sound there, just air pressure , so you are tempted to go louder to get sound " closer" to your ears...
after 300+ hours of burn in , sound settles down, headphone won't sound  as loud ( sound won't push/pressure with air your eardrums)  at same volume levels , but it will sound more intim with more clarity , and even at medium volumes you get " closer" to the sound.

Its an effect i notise with all headphones , specialy with t5p and hd800 , as new they screamed so loud , treble and bass , was exploding , but sound was distant  , there was no energy no atmosphere of the music...
After burn in sound was what i wanted at low volumes , and before burn in sound wasn't what i was seeking so i tried to compensate with more volume but it wasn't it , sound was still distant and ears were tired...

Its like fire, when you throw wood into a fire , flames are big and bright but theres no warmth , once wood burns down , and theres almost no flames , thats when real warmth comes.
Who have fire place at home or use to grill a lot , will understand what i mean...

Don't listen to headphones on high volumes  , take care of your ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back