Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 4, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,306 of 3,295

Gonna just find stuff on youtube and say how it sounds, through fiio x3-II.

Very delicate liquidy chimes, sound real. Violin hits, sounds like a violin, that seems like a good thing. Guitar's sound even more murderous and menacing than usual, great contrast from the other instruments. The reproduction is as effortless as the perfomance (that's cliche writing but it's true!). Sounds just sorta erupt out in this, I'd say it imparts a liquid smooth character on everything while maintaining tonal accuracy and realism. In my experience it will just sort of impart the character of the amp. The brilliance of cymbals is something like I've never heard, I originally thought it was a coloration since I'm so used to them either sounding muted or excessive. The birdcall at like 5:30 actually sounds like a bird, must be a real good one or Jamie Muir is really good at birdcall.

Rather friggin' classic! 
biggrin.gif
 (looking forward to seeing them in November)

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,308 of 3,295
  Ohh lucky. What's the lineup these days? 

A bit different than what I'm used to (no Adrian Belew for instance, but even just Levin and Fripp will be worth the price of admission imo):

The seven-piece lineup of King Crimson on this tour includes drummers Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin and Pat Mastelotto, bassist Tony Levin, sax/flautist Mel Collins, guitarist and vocalist Jakko Jakszxyk and, of course, guitarist Robert Fripp. 

I'm sure it will be awesome.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,309 of 3,295
...goodwork done on the cottonballs:)

I used rolledupcottongauze,
n filled out half the circumference..intuitively..lol.
knows nothing about its effect on muffling or letting some of the holes breathe better,
u enlightened me...we need more scientists here.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,310 of 3,295
...goodwork done on the cottonballs:)

I used rolledupcottongauze,
n filled out half the circumference..intuitively..lol.
knows nothing about its effect on muffling or letting some of the holes breathe better,
u enlightened me...we need more scientists here.

I should stress that I am 100% guessing at all this. I basically fumbled around in the dark and made them sound a lot better, no contest. You should give it a try :D

I love how everything about this headphone makes no damn sense at all...

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,311 of 3,295

Ok, this s##t is real! Yes I just cried for the 3rd time in my adult life! The other 2 times was a family funeral and the time I ate a chilli pepper!
I have been playing the yammie mt220's for the past 25mins and instead of high definition music files I have been on my favourite Soundcloud music feed blasting low bit rate audio files that I love. Holy freakin s##balls they sound amazing with anything I play and they not even burned in yet!!
Hot salty tears have been flowing down my cheeks and it got so bad I thought f##k!! I'm gonna ruin my new headphones with salt water!!!!
The awesome soundscape, the wide open instant fidelity hit me right between the eyes, tears just flowed and I just wanna thank the guys/gals who encouraged me to buy the yammie mt220's last week!!! Seriously!! I honestly thought it was bullsh#t when you said even YouTube videos will sound good, Lors you said forget the amp just get the cans, that was so right! I'm now trapped in a world of extreme aural pleasure and I freakin love it!
This is a real world review, buy the yammie mt220's!!! :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #1,312 of 3,295
tats a perfect can on a perfect face....
u hv enuf tears flowing via soundcloud?
better gears gonna wet your pants...

ya...everything about this can aint making sense.

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,313 of 3,295
Still crying :) Listen to A$AP Rocky - ******* Problems Ft Xavier Dunn (Vijay & Sofia Zlatko, Kasúal Remix) by Vijay and Sofia #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/vijayandsofia/aap-rocky-fkin-problems-ft-xavier-dunn-vijay-sofia-zlatko-kasual-remix

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #1,314 of 3,295
Wait, I found the word to explain what's potentially different from my mod to others; transparent. None of what I said of my impressions holds when I changed source, the old x3 sounds more traditionally hifi (-1 on treble again though). The new one imparts a strong ethereal quality on things while sounding very real, very open and airy. I was listening to some random classical and choir and it was really heavenly sounding. On the old one rock and metal are very meaty and powerful and detailed all that good traditional hifi stuff, but it isn't as open or airy or liquid or anything. These aren't even top end things obviously, I really think these could be well beyond that level on higher level gear.

The thing about it though is; is it even exclusive to this headphone? I was thinking about how the m50 might work like this but do all the closed headphones taking m50 style pads have this same vent? I don't know much about headphone tech obviously, but maybe doing the same thing on other headphones has the same effect? Or maybe it's very specific to the angle? Maybe its angled just so that the pad is lifted to give a bigger target and the excess backwave is either going through the vent or being absorbed behind, so you don't hear any reflections at all? Really interested to hear what other people get out of this.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,315 of 3,295
  Wait, I found the word to explain what's potentially different from my mod to others; transparent. None of what I said of my impressions holds when I changed source, the old x3 sounds more traditionally hifi (-1 on treble again though). The new one imparts a strong ethereal quality on things while sounding very real, very open and airy. I was listening to some random classical and choir and it was really heavenly sounding. On the old one rock and metal are very meaty and powerful and detailed all that good traditional hifi stuff, but it isn't as open or airy or liquid or anything. These aren't even top end things obviously, I really think these could be well beyond that level on higher level gear.

The thing about it though is; is it even exclusive to this headphone? I was thinking about how the m50 might work like this but do all the closed headphones taking m50 style pads have this same vent? I don't know much about headphone tech obviously, but maybe doing the same thing on other headphones has the same effect? Or maybe it's very specific to the angle? Maybe its angled just so that the pad is lifted to give a bigger target and the excess backwave is either going through the vent or being absorbed behind, so you don't hear any reflections at all? Really interested to hear what other people get out of this.

All I know is that, to me, the M50x sounds awful and the MT220 sounds amazing.

With the MT220, moving my ears to the front of the pads significantly improved the sound, but with the M50x, my ear position doesn't really change the sound.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,316 of 3,295

All I know is that, to me, the M50x sounds awful and the MT220 sounds amazing.

With the MT220, moving my ears to the front of the pads significantly improved the sound, but with the M50x, my ear position doesn't really change the sound.

Positioning alone really just increased certain characteristics of the headphone and decreased others, post mod the new x3 bears no similarity to how it was before while the original x3 is like it was but better. I think the stock headphone is severely limited by, something, and post mod that something is gone. Like it's information overload and it was just dumping loads of sound out where now it's getting through. I'd assume the m50 is a more extreme case, maybe firing straight at the ear makes the sound bounce all over the place but the angled driver is channeling everything to a specific spot. Honestly the stock headphone sounds fairly ordinary compared to where I have it at now.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,317 of 3,295
the space infront,  and the space behind the driver....
the quality/nature of the surface the sound travels thru...
the distance and angle to your ear canal...
and the individual ear...
will affect the sound.

What advantage the yammie has is....
first of all, it has a very good clear fast driver tat outputs tremendous details. 
And reasonably good cup design,
all we need to do is slight tweaking to focus tat great sound into our canal.

As it is, the stockdriver position is too near for most ears....
maybe it was just right to the designer when the prototype was being tested,
by the time the production dept spec-ed the pads, it was too thin in actual manufacture.

^ above are my conjectures/tots.....not science, jus read for amusement.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,319 of 3,295
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH100SL-EPH-100SL-Inner-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00591GIMY

the yamaha iem?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back