Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,336 of 4,690
We're sorry. But one thing is for sure: this rating won't change again. I think its a very good rating, more than the GR-07, the Sony EX1000, the SM3, the j-phonic K2 SP, very very close to the UM3X. No reason to feel frustrated. If you cry because of this, you got a issue. Calm down, take a chill pill and come back again later. Cheers dude
beerchug.gif

P.S. Ratings do change as I listen to different genres, new stuff, as I use them on the studio for mixing and see the final results (the UM3X wins here), as I manage to get some time to do more serious A/B, etc.

P.P.S. The SM3 guys must feel worse than you (and have paid $400 for it). So I guess you're a  lucky guy
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,338 of 4,690
It's very difficult to compare headphones to IEMs, but I think they are at the same level of the HD598's (SQ only, there are some differences in sound signature), but the HD598's are opened cans and these are closed, so there are differences in soundstage too. The HD598's have great instrument separation too, so maybe they are closer on that particular aspect. From your description in previous post, I think they are what you're looking for. Concerning the SE215, I never had them, but there's people here that can answer to that. I think they are good in terms of durabitily since the housing is made of aluminium. I would just be a bit careful with the cable.

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,340 of 4,690
Guys?

I'm looking into the EPH-100's and GR-07's (oh boy, this battle is unique, right?)

What I want: Isolation, comfort (long term), less microphonics, FUN sound that isn't in your face.

I was looking at the GR-07 for this, but then the EPH-100's jumped up and I hated them at first, now their sitting in my shopping cart on Newegg.

Should I for my use?

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,341 of 4,690
For what you're asking for, FUN and isolation, the Yamahas would be a better bet IMO. Sound quality wise they're pretty close (but I prefer the yamahas - more FUN, more "3D", better instrument separation).

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,342 of 4,690

Quote:
For what you're asking for, FUN and isolation, the Yamahas would be a better bet IMO. Sound quality wise they're pretty close (but I prefer the yamahas).

How about comfort?

And I'm also worried about replacement tips, but... then again, I've never had to replace any of my other IEM tips

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,343 of 4,690

Quote:
How about comfort?

And I'm also worried about replacement tips, but... then again, I've never had to replace any of my other IEM tips

FYI its been reviewed and detailed A LOT in comparison between the two, throughout this thread.

Comfort, from what I READ:
Yamas go in like any normal IEM
GR07's sit, just like the ie8's do.

And replacement tips?
You mean your wondering about the nozzle size?

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,344 of 4,690

Quote:
FYI its been reviewed and detailed A LOT in comparison between the two, throughout this thread.

Comfort, from what I READ:
Yamas go in like any normal IEM
GR07's sit, just like the ie8's do.

And replacement tips?
You mean your wondering about the nozzle size?

That's why I said these questions aren't very original. I know, I've been reading through them.

I don't think you're really thinking at the moment.

Comfort: I know they work like most IEM's, I also know GR-07's are over-ear only design.

Replacement tips: I have no idea what you're thinking I mean. I'm talking the tips, the part that contacts your ear. You know? Those tips? Ooh.....

Sorry, but I'm being more penile over IEM's since they are a B**ch to return.

I'm would be using them as I write. I'm a novelist and my keyboard is LOUD. I'm talking my mother wakes up from me typing at night LOUD. So I need comfortable, isolating IEM's to ignore my keyboard and typing.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,346 of 4,690

Quote:
Botbyte take a look at the first post of this thread.

Should have links EPH100 & GR07 comparisons.

I know already *throws computer to wall, takes out gun, puts 10 in the screen, reloads, put another 10*

But the reviews mostly cover over sound. I could almost care less about the sound over the comfort and isolation. 

Oh well, I guess I'll order them.
If anyone is asking, I'm ordering from Newegg because it takes 1 day to ship to me and they accept returns.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,347 of 4,690

Quote:
Comfort: I know they work like most IEM's, I also know GR-07's are over-ear only design.

Replacement tips: I have no idea what you're thinking I mean. I'm talking the tips, the part that contacts your ear. You know? Those tips? Ooh.....

*face palm*

Yeah I know what tips are genius, just wondering WHY are you asking about them?
You need to know here you can buy some STOCK ones, some CUSTOM ones, some FOAM ones, some what...doesn't take a genius to figure it out....or even a quick google/head-fi search.

Comfort: Again you didn't read.
IE7/8's sit on your ear, they don;t go deep and thus don't isolate that well -> gr07's have the same design.
On the other hand the Yamas have a more in-ear design like the MTPG's

Common...
And see archy's reply. I don;t think you have searched lol.
If you were a +20 head-fier I would understand...

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,348 of 4,690

As i have followed thread closely I can confirm from many agreeing opinions that isolation & comfort is second to none when it comes to Dynamic Drivers.

Soundwise you probably have plenty of opinions from owners of both to help you.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,350 of 4,690
Gilly,

Thanks so much!! This is something I've just replied in another post:

I've just got the Sennheiser HD598, will post my impressions soon :wink:. The problem I have is that as I don't live in the states or Europe then I'm very limited to a few options.

I plan to use them for work/commuting and the music I like is acoustic, rock and pop but a wide variety anyway and I don't listen to heavy metal or electronic music. I'm new to buying mid/hi-fi and for sure I don't want to use amplification.

I like just the right bass and really good voice and instrument separation. I don't like too much treble/fatigue.

As in the other thread they recommended the 215, I have the MC5 that is super clean but uncomfortable to wear, but it really lacks mids and is really cold sound.

My idea is to have a one-for-all IEM basically.

Thanks!

Hmm... Well the EPH and 215 do both fit your bill. The EPH has better separation and is much cleaner sounding; I heard one person call it "an ety mc5 with a soul." The SE215 does have really magical and lush mids, almost as good as my MS400, but the bass lacks definition compared to the EPH and fan get slightly muddy at times, though not with most music. The bass of the SE215 is flatter and more realistic in timber, but is less defined, whereas the EPH have faster drivers and sound tight in bass; there are a couple of dips in the bass but with less bass-reliant music, like most of your stated tastes, it would he all but unnoticeable.

It really comes down to taste. In a nutshell:

EPH: more balanced, better separation, technically superior in almost every way. Does acoustic guitar really well.
SE215: more in-your-face presentation, very lush mids, more unadulterated fun factor. Does electric guitars well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back