Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,186 of 4,690

Quote:
My comments shown in this colour

Music was all that really necessary ?

And as you are replying  :

When did you actually hear the UM3X last to make your absolute opinion of its separation against that of EPH-100 ?

Please don't disappoint & say you made an absolute statement from super reliable sound memory bank ?

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,187 of 4,690
I think what kloan may be referring to is the spike in treble somewhere between 7k-10k...

www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/eph-100.html

en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&document_srl=8861

If thats the case then it might be something that one would have to adjust to. I think I have well over 100hrs on my Yammys and the spike is still there

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,188 of 4,690
I have decided and will order the EPH because of your posts
beerchug.gif
Will PM regarding the SE535LTD. Thanks Chief!

Quote:

Yes we disagree here, no harm. While some supersonic ears may think that mids are slightly better on UM3X or slightly better on EPH-100, the fact is they're both excellent in this area.
You want a marked mid difference?  Please try SE535LTD, they're something else.

Regarding bass, my preference goes naturally to dynamic drivers IEMs, they can produce bass impact that I have yet to ear from BA-based IEMs, and I think a lot of people will relate to this. In this area, UM3X bass are uninspiring, although they're not light.
Regarding treble, I prefer UM3X treble (clearer and better separated) but to make them shine you have to EQ them up. EPH-100 treble are a bit peculiar, they seem very picky with instruments: cymbals for example are very forward while some other high-pitched instruments are a bit recessed. It can create some unnatural feeling when listening music with many instruments (ie orchestra music).

Separation-wise, slight avantage to UM3X in the treble area but for the rest of the spectrum, again I think they're close enough that you'll find both opinions here.

I could continue on and on, but to summarize: do I consider EPH-100 superior to UM3X? Certainly not. Do I consider UM3X to be significantly superior to EPH-100? No.
Actually, if it was not for the peculiar treble, I would prefer EPH-100 for their bass and more lively (=dynamic) sound.

This has everything to do with music genres, and even with each music track.
Although we all describe SQ with generic terms as bass, mids, treble for the sake of writing short reviews, many different instruments fit into bass, mids or treble, so it should not be a surprise that 2 IEMs having "good" mids still handle specific instruments differently and will please different crowds.

Your statement directly points to a behavior which shows in your last sentence:

Perhaps? Please guess.
Your preferences are not more universal than anyone else's.

To use your analogy, I was born in Dijon, in Burgundy (France), so I was raised with Burgundy wines, and came to appreciate them a lot.
Bordeaux wines are as famous, if not more, but for some reason, I just can't appreciate a fine Bordeaux wine as much as a fine Burgundy wine...
Does it make Bordeaux wines "universally not as good" because I decided that a fine wine should be from Burgundy?

Last point: this kind of comment doesn't exactly make you sound constructive (and friendly).
Please put back your review, I thought it was well written and certainly more useful to this thread than the kind of absolute statements quoted above...

I will stop posting in this thread since people are constantly quoting me to get at each other, which wasn't the intent of my review.
I don't want to take side because there's no need to, everything here is a matter of personal taste.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,189 of 4,690

Quote:
I think what kloan may be referring to is the spike in treble somewhere between 7k-10k...

If thats the case then it might be something that one would have to adjust to. I think I have well over 100hrs on my Yammys and the spike is still there

Thanks for that! It does seem like that's what I'm hearing.

I noticed it wasn't quite as bad through my iPod Nano, as it was through my iPod Touch. However, I did think that through the Nano, some music sounded somewhat congested and lacked clarity, despite that upper range. It seems as though there is some treble missing below that frequency which affects the overall clarity of sound.

Anyway, I found them relatively enjoyable in the gym tonight, and significantly better than the 8320 which they are replacing. The isolation alone is a massive upgrade and welcome change.. I can finally turn down the volume without having to listen to craptacular chart music and d-bags laughing like...... well, d-bags. Ah.... the joys of the gym... lol.

Oh, the bass was a little much after a while.... from what I've read, i can expect that to be mellowed out and tightened up over time, so I'll look forward to that as well.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #1,190 of 4,690
Seems like my post is gone with cleanup activity and a lot more happened within short interval, This thread is fast.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,191 of 4,690

Quote:
 EPH-100 is quite relaxing and smoother in comparison. 6 hrs of listening in a stretch as I type my last line for the day...amazing!

+1

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,192 of 4,690

Quote:
OK, last try here -- maybe you should really re-read my last two posts. Honestly. And a bit more slowly, perhaps.

I know for a fact you did have a chance to read the impressions I'd written which I later deleted (2 posts). There, I did mention the EX500, EX600, SE215 & CKM99 (all priced £60 - £140), even if I didn't go into greater between their sonic differences, but I did make it very clear what I thought of the Yamahas.

As for pricing, depending on where you live, the Yamahas, AFAIK, can be had for $115-$150, the UM3X for $300 - $470. People (VERY) often quote prices --not saying this is the case with you-- to suit their 'needs' to make a case for or against a particular product.

Of course we quote prices.
I can't just go and buy some HD800's for £50 can I?

Also, there is no need to be condescending either - its been said in this thread once, regarding your posts, may this be a second time someone says it to you.

EDIT:

"As you well rightly know 'people will have diff sound preferences' but you clearly decide to be either ignorant or possibly arrogant & imply your opinion overrides that of others because your ability to appreciate sound is superior."  -Archy

So that's 3x in this thread alone.

"Last point: this kind of comment doesn't exactly make you sound constructive (and friendly).
Please put back your review, I thought it was well written and certainly more useful to this thread than the kind of absolute statements quoted above..." -Tienbasse

4x now...

"I think your analogy does not really add anything new to what I have said already (perhaps you should re-read my posts too?)"
 ​
No, I think YOU should re-read or take time before you post on this thread again

And about your impressions - yup read them, but didn't memorise it, funnily enough.
I own the EX500's myself - its not hard to have better quality than them.

My Denon C710's/C751's/EX700's all sounded better.

That said for under £45 you can't go wrong with the EX500's

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,193 of 4,690

Quote:
I hope you are not suffering to the extent eke2k6 did.

Another tip that might work is the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet ones. They look ever so comfortable compared to dual flange.

I dropped Monster an email enquiry but they never got back. That was before I figured out going a size down would be acceptable.
I would still be interested in trying these tips if someone could source them.

To me the MDT's look VERY fragile 

Tips though, aren't they the supertips? Possibly with a smaller/larger diameter hole vs the MTPG/C's?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,195 of 4,690
Quote:

Imo these two graphs show that the spike may well be related to tips/fit. In the first graph, bass emphasis is much lower than in the second and the treble spike is about 20db, whereas it's only <10db in the second. Assuming the differences are not the result of product variation, I'd guess that goldenears used different tips and/or achieved a better seal compared to the [size=x-small]ryumatsuba[/size] measurement.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,197 of 4,690

Quote:
Imo these two graphs show that the spike may well be related to tips/fit. In the first graph, bass emphasis is much lower than in the second and the treble spike is about 20db, whereas it's only <10db in the second. Assuming the differences are not the result of product variation, I'd guess that goldenears used different tips and/or achieved a better seal compared to the [size=x-small]ryumatsuba[/size] measurement.

+rep

Impressed with your understanding.

@ Totally Dubbed i think you are right about MDT possibly being relatively fragile. There was at least one posting in the MDT where the cable had broken off from the driver.
I have no idea if they are the regular supertips in the sample packs or something more custom. Also bloody expensive to buy from Monster.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,198 of 4,690
I don't think Supertips would fit properly because of how long the barrel is on the EPH. I tried using some Sony Hybrids, but they're just too short to stay on the barrel.

I could be wrong though...

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,199 of 4,690

Quote:
@ Totally Dubbed i think you are right about MDT possibly being relatively fragile. There was at least one posting in the MDT where the cable had broken off from the driver.
I have no idea if they are the regular supertips in the sample packs or something more custom. Also bloody expensive to buy from Monster.

Yup...its even more expensive on amazon UK
No surprise it's Monster though...:/

A Possibility?
Look on the FS forums, and post a thread for a WTB :)

You might get lucky

And cable being broken from driver?
That's no surprise mate - its the case with most monster earphone - i.e. the monster turbine & MTPG/C's

The MDT's look even MORE fragile...

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #1,200 of 4,690

Quote:
To Miow's credit, a lot of things he's said, have unfolded with time...For eg: EPH-100 sounding better on the default sansa player compared to rockbox is so true on sansa clip 2 atleast. Another point was how the treble quality changes and growing on you from loathe to like and love over a period of time. And now I find the treble of FXT90 a little too sharp and piercing for my liking compared to EPH-100..beware that they haven't burnt in as much as the Yams yet. Instrument Seperation is truly remarkable and 3D is quite decent on these. I am really satisfied with the sound these produce overall!

Hey dubeam01, thats nice to hear after so many personal attacks from the so called "headphoneus supremus" that have had a terrible/unhappy participation in this thread, to say the least (not you, Totally Dubbed , hehe). Glad you're enjoying your yamahas as well as I do. Cheers, mate : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back