Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,231 of 4,690
You can pick these up for $99 AUD now in Australia.

It was probably two years ago, possibly longer when I purchased my first EPH-100, I remember being quite happy with them.

For old times sake I picked up another pair which should arrive in the next few days.

Will be interesting revisiting them. I remember them having quite good PRaT and separation, they were also smooth and great for laying down at night.

Let's see if they manage to still to please me. 

Did my posts about me getting them again inspire you? :p

Honestly, I just can't believe I ever got rid of these beauties. They know how to please my ears with their sound.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #4,232 of 4,690
Did my posts about me getting them again inspire you? :p

Honestly, I just can't believe I ever got rid of these beauties. They know how to please my ears with their sound.

Haha, no, I'd been pondering on this kind of thing for a while

They arrived today and are very versatile, the bass they can deliver is quite satisfying, especially for EDM, Dubstep, they also manage to pull off pretty much every genre with ease despite this. They're actually exactly what I wanted, something I can just throw away the supercritical and to some extent fatiguing gear I own, load up a 64GB card in my Sansa Clip Zip and just enjoy music... for music.

Really happy with them overall. Tell you what though, once your craving returns (which it will eventually) check out GR07 Classic one day for me. They're equally as good and as versatile, especially to EDM. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #4,233 of 4,690
So this time round with the Yamaha these sources work well for me.

iPod Touch 4G
Sansa Clip Zip
iBasso DX50
Sony Walkman NWZ-F806

They're giving the nicest results, particularly the clip zip and ipod touch. (either FLAC or ALAC)

Players I thought didn't bring them to thier best potential.

Colorfly C3
XDuoo X2

For me, I'll stick to the iPod Touch 4g, it has a leather flip case, the Yamaha cable, plug and housings give it a semi 'business man' appeal. Plus, they sound really nice from it running ALAC.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,235 of 4,690
Haha, no, I'd been pondering on this kind of thing for a while

They arrived today and are very versatile, the bass they can deliver is quite satisfying, especially for EDM, Dubstep, they also manage to pull off pretty much every genre with ease despite this. They're actually exactly what I wanted, something I can just throw away the supercritical and to some extent fatiguing gear I own, load up a 64GB card in my Sansa Clip Zip and just enjoy music... for music.

Really happy with them overall. Tell you what though, once your craving returns (which it will eventually) check out GR07 Classic one day for me. They're equally as good and as versatile, especially to EDM. 

So this time round with the Yamaha these sources work well for me.

iPod Touch 4G
Sansa Clip Zip
iBasso DX50
Sony Walkman NWZ-F806

They're giving the nicest results, particularly the clip zip and ipod touch. (either FLAC or ALAC)

Players I thought didn't bring them to thier best potential.

Colorfly C3
XDuoo X2

For me, I'll stick to the iPod Touch 4g, it has a leather flip case, the Yamaha cable, plug and housings give it a semi 'business man' appeal. Plus, they sound really nice from it running ALAC.

Haha wow, safe to say you have rekindled your EPH100 in style!

I'm really enjoying mine, how they air with the FiiO X3 is amazing. The bass is quite strong and defined but not overpowering. Highs sounded a bit bright at first but after 2 hours playtime they smoothed out a treat, and will get better as time goes on.

I've also tried them with the Xiaomi Mi4 and Xperia Tab Z2, but the sound isn't as full as with the X3. Not to mention the bass presence isn't quite there.

Btw I got mine from here, they are still on sale and from what AA said to me they have loads of stock so I might even buy another pair:

www.audioaffair.co.uk/yamaha-eph100-earphones

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,236 of 4,690
Has anyone seen the Yamaha EPH-W32.

Now I'm very interested in grabbing these asap seeing as they have an aptx Bluetooth unit, plus my eph-100 have died anyway.

No, I haven't sorry. Plenty of EPH around though still.

Haha wow, safe to say you have rekindled your EPH100 in style!

I'm really enjoying mine, how they air with the FiiO X3 is amazing. The bass is quite strong and defined but not overpowering. Highs sounded a bit bright at first but after 2 hours playtime they smoothed out a treat, and will get better as time goes on.

I've also tried them with the Xiaomi Mi4 and Xperia Tab Z2, but the sound isn't as full as with the X3. Not to mention the bass presence isn't quite there.

Another player I forgot to mention above was FiiO X1, I didn't like it. Well, I did like the mids / highs, but dat bass, too bloated for me with EPH on the FiiO (just my opinion). X3 is a completely different player though. =)

I also agree on the bass being overbearing on open box for an hour or so, I also remember this happening on the first pair. Just for the record, while I don't disbelieve in burn in I just sit neutral about it. Also brain burn in is very real.

With EDM or dubstep it's pretty amazing the bass these little drivers have. :wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,237 of 4,690
No, I haven't sorry. Plenty of EPH around though still.

Another player I forgot to mention above was FiiO X1, I didn't like it. Well, I did like the mids / highs, but dat bass, too bloated for me with EPH on the FiiO (just my opinion). X3 is a completely different player though. =)

I also agree on the bass being overbearing on open box for an hour or so, I also remember this happening on the first pair. Just for the record, while I don't disbelieve in burn in I just sit neutral about it. Also brain burn in is very real.

With EDM or dubstep it's pretty amazing the bass these little drivers have. :wink:

Yeah I agree, the bass is very much full bodied on the X3 too. However I wouldn't call it bloated. The control and poise is still there and the quality definitely helps with EDM tracks. X3 also has hardware bass/treble controls which can be used if needed.

@huxley I agree with the above comment, just buy another EPH100 and continue your journey.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #4,238 of 4,690
Has anyone seen the Yamaha EPH-W32.

Now I'm very interested in grabbing these asap seeing as they have an aptx Bluetooth unit, plus my eph-100 have died anyway.

Huxley old friend. Mine have died as well and desperately after a replacement that can do Trance/EDM Just as well.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be buying eph100 again.
I really hoped years on we would have a replacement that can provide same 3D stereo separation of eph100 and with deeper textured bass.

Lifted Andreas have you heard CRK9/10 ?

Wondering if CRK9LTD can do Trance as well as eph100.
Still no direct comparison with Duoza available :s

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #4,240 of 4,690
Huxley old friend. Mine have died as well and desperately after a replacement that can do Trance/EDM Just as well.

I really hoped years on we would have a replacement that can provide same 3D stereo separation of eph100 and with deeper textured bass.

Lifted Andreas have you heard CRK9/10 ?

Wondering if CRK9LTD can do Trance as well as eph100.
Still no direct comparison with Duoza available :s

Not sure about the Douza or the CRK9LTD as I haven't heard either of them. However I can safely say that the EPH100s are much much easier to get hold of than either of those.

Picture of the EPH-100 setup.

Looking so good mate!

I'll lost a pic of mine shortly.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,241 of 4,690

Yeah tricky isn't it. As you know it's not about sq it's that the eph100 just works so damn well with trance, they just flow with the music and let you just switch off, no other phone has this kind of effect for me.

Very tempted to try the Duoza mind, now the price on ebay is a more sensible level.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4,242 of 4,690
Yeah tricky isn't it. As you know it's not about sq it's that the eph100 just works so damn well with trance, they just flow with the music and let you just switch off, no other phone has this kind of effect for me.

Very tempted to try the Duoza mind, now the price on ebay is a more sensible level.

To add to it all I have just read very positive feedback for CRK-9 Ltd by user T.R.A.N.C.E. He believes it beats the eph100 in all areas including 3D stereo separation. Very tempted but again a case of expensive & difficult to import with added EU taxes.

I'm really at a loss. Duoza seems to fit the bill but no one has been able to confirm its suitability with Trance. Question remains can it do that immersive 3D stereo separation.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,243 of 4,690
To add to it all I have just read very positive feedback for CRK-9 Ltd by user T.R.A.N.C.E. He believes it beats the eph100 in all areas including 3D stereo separation. Very tempted but again a case of expensive & difficult to import with added EU taxes.

I'm really at a loss. Duoza seems to fit the bill but no one has been able to confirm its suitability with Trance. Question remains can it do that immersive 3D stereo separation.

Thing is with AT phones, they have a very in house sound. You'll probably find he'll have several other AT models.
His hearing will be in tune with their phones, to the casual listener they can take some getting used to.

I have two AT phones myself, one being the IM50, which sound nice but are an awkward fit, i'm willing to bet the CKR-9 will be similar.

Hmm might sit on the fence for this, until more folks buy the Duozo, i could buy it tomorrow if i really fancied.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,244 of 4,690
Yeah tricky isn't it. As you know it's not about sq it's that the eph100 just works so damn well with trance, they just flow with the music and let you just switch off, no other phone has this kind of effect for M. e

+1

Not even Tenore could do that for me, even though for a while it sounded like it could.

I don't think Yamaha had realised what they created would be so perfect for Trance music.

The CKR9LTD look interesting, but the business of importing them just puts me off. Especially considering the Yamahas are much much cheaper.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,245 of 4,690
+1

Not even Tenore could do that for me, even though for a while it sounded like it could.
I don't think Yamaha had realised what they created would be so perfect for Trance music.

The CKR9LTD look interesting, but the business of importing them just puts me off. Especially considering the Yamahas are much much cheaper.

even though for a while it sounded like it could

Wow that's Exactly how I felt !

Well I found a cheap way to import CKR9 Ltd from Singapore store - £145 delivered minus duty tax

http://store.treoo.com/main/audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ltd-dual-phase-in-ear-earphone.html

Huxley I think you are right but it's going to be difficult without my Trance fix longer it goes.
Going to wait out on more Duoza and CKR9LTD reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back