y1 gamma-1 DAC
Jan 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #362 of 1,546
yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #363 of 1,546
Im located i norway.

Digikey is to expensivie to buy from, atleast when it's just one part.
Farnell wont sell to private customers here in norway, the only sell to companies
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #366 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiRaCL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im located i norway.

Digikey is to expensivie to buy from, atleast when it's just one part.
Farnell wont sell to private customers here in norway, the only sell to companies
frown.gif

I'm ordering from RS Electronics this week. RS Electronics - industrial electronic components distributor

if they have what you need let me know and I can order it for you.

Manuel

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #367 of 1,546
I finished up my set of Gamma One DACs. All are working perfectly. I posted earlier regarding using only a flux pen and the PCB tinning to solder the ICs......it works very well where the tinning is thick and results in a very clean job, but you must check each pin for electrical continuity and for mechanical rigidity because a small percentage of pins do not flow properly. I use a microscope for the soldering and checking of the ICs. These are wonderful little DACs. Thanks AMB!
G1_1.jpg
G1_2.jpg
G1_3.jpg

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #368 of 1,546
Just a minor heads up... Digikey is currently out of stock of the TORX147PL/FT fiber optic receiver module. I called them today and they said that they expect to restock by Jan 27.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #369 of 1,546
I just finished my gamma 1 dac, I think it is great, the design is so compact, the board so nicely done, I'm impressed. It sounds great too.

Now, I have a Mini3 to go with it, but somehow when I bought the case for the mini3, I managed to get something with only one metal end, so my mini3 has a metal front and a plastic back. To make the set look good together, perhaps someone who bought the custom front panels for either the gamma or the mini has a spare plain end they could send me?

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #370 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished my gamma 1 dac, I think it is great, the design is so compact, the board so nicely done, I'm impressed. It sounds great too.

Now, I have a Mini3 to go with it, but somehow when I bought the case for the mini3, I managed to get something with only one metal end, so my mini3 has a metal front and a plastic back. To make the set look good together, perhaps someone who bought the custom front panels for either the gamma or the mini has a spare plain end they could send me?

PM sent.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #371 of 1,546
I had the PCM2707 on the USB board of my Gamma 1 die today.
I fired up my computer and got "USB device not recognized". I swapped USB cable, checked 5V and 3.3V rails and looked the board over carefully with a loupe, but all checked out fine.
I had a spare PCM2707, so I swapped it out and now it works great.
I guess anything can fail. I am just glad the one part I had a spare of is the one that died.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #372 of 1,546
grendel23, are you sure the original PCM2707 actually died? Maybe there was a marginal solder joint. The act of replacing the chip, most likely "fixed" it...

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #374 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grendel23, are you sure the original PCM2707 actually died? Maybe there was a marginal solder joint. The act of replacing the chip, most likely "fixed" it...

That was my first thought, so I checked it carefully.
I had a nice fillet of solder on each pin. I also took a dental pick and checked under an 8X loupe that each pin was solidly soldered down. As far as I can tell, solder was OK. If I had thought of it, I would have re-flowed the solder before replacing chip.
Anything is possible, but I am reasonably sure chip died from unknown causes.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #375 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bismar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a question, will there be much wear and tear leaving power on to the y1 DAC 24/7 ?

No more so than any other electronic device. It is arguable that leaving it powered up is actually better for longevity, because every time it's turned off and on, some parts go through a power surge and thermal cycle which may age them more than continuous power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back