y1 gamma-1 DAC
Dec 22, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #166 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The official γ1 website is now live. Please have a look.

Good stuff ! The way you organized all the options seems really helpful. It really clarifies some stuff for ppl. Any chance the BOM will be available in a spreadsheet file ?
Happy holidays to all !
smily_headphones1.gif

Must add: Very concise. Very cool.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #169 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff ! The way you organized all the options seems really helpful. It really clarifies some stuff for ppl.

Agreed! That was definitely my biggest complaint with the prototype build - I ended up buying way more parts than I actually needed for my usb-only build. I wonder if using coloured backgrounds on those cells would make it a little easier to use.

As usual very impressed with the quantity and quality of documentation there. Ti, your site is definitely a benchmark for good project documentation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates the time you put into it.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #171 of 1,546
we have a BOM made up for the Aussie GB; try contacting FordGT or I actually have a copy. its an EXCEL file pretty sure its bug free. any takers?? i'm sure Ford wouldnt mind.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #172 of 1,546
I somehow managed to break the center pin off my MCP100 (U4D)... are there other substitutions I might have, or any ideas of what devices might have one that I could pull from?

Rather not pay shipping or wait for a single little part

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #173 of 1,546
I just finished my Gamma 1 build.
Assembly was easy and straight forward.
I built the standard full configuration BOM except I used Blackgate NX caps on the output. The Blackgate caps will need to burn in before they sound right, but it sounds quite good now.
I would recommend builders have a loupe to inspect the smd devices after soldering, my 46 year old eyes needed the help.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #174 of 1,546
Congrats grendel. Say it sounds pretty good eh?
Yea I have a helping hands with a mag glass but I think I may need something a bit more powerful. We are in the same boat when it comes to eyes and age LOL.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #175 of 1,546
Just finished my standard build y1. My new Hakko 936 made the surface mount soldering quite straightforward.

It sounds really nice.

Pics here.

I have a dilemma with the case. I have a black case and the very nice black AMB face plates, but I only have stainless 6-32 socket screws. Hmm... Will that look a bit odd?

I might just tap out the case and have a look. If it looks a little odd, I'll track down some black screws.

Edit: Here is a link to the finished photos. It looks fine IMHO. I'll leave the screws as they are.

Thanks again to AMB Labs X-Audio for another great project.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #178 of 1,546
I have mine up and running and it sounds great. The build went with out a hitch.

y1dac004fe6.jpg

y1dac005od5.jpg

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #179 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished my Gamma 1 build.
Assembly was easy and straight forward.
I built the standard full configuration BOM except I used Blackgate NX caps on the output. The Blackgate caps will need to burn in before they sound right, but it sounds quite good now.
I would recommend builders have a loupe to inspect the smd devices after soldering, my 46 year old eyes needed the help.

Would you mind telling me the blackgate model numbers that you used for C24 and C25 (and C22 if you used a blackgate there)? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Thanks!

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #180 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by gspence2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind telling me the blackgate model numbers that you used for C24 and C25 (and C22 if you used a blackgate there)? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Thanks!

I used 4.7uf NX HI-Q caps on C24 and C25, and did not populate C26 and C27. These are lower in value than the standard, but will work fine with an amp with 50K ohm input impedance.
I bought these for my Alien DAC and since they were discontinued, I bought extras.
You may have a hard time finding these caps, but they are worth using if you can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back