Xonar stx+ which amp to buy?
Nov 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

serious7

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I have a xonar essence stx and I want to get a dedicated amp to power my hd 650. I know I know theres a ton of threads about hd 650 but none of those threads could help my particular situation. A lot of people recomend amp/dac combos but in my case I wouldn't need a dac if i have a sound card right?

So I am looking at Woo Audio amps atm and I have a few questions. What is a pre-amp vs amp? Reason I am asking this is because WooAudio3 says its a pre amplifier and WooAudio 6 says its a headphone amp.

My next question is in regards to which type of amp I should buy. I have read conflicting opinions about this one. Tube or Electric? People say the hd 650 is dark and therefore  a tube will not match it. But others say tubes are the only way for hd 650. WHAT IS BETTER?

Assuming Tubes are the best, what amp should I buy to hook up with xonar essence stx? My budget is ~$1000 Canadian. If you can recomend something other than woo that will work extremely well with my set up please tell me. I am looking for the best that I can possible afford.

Also I am going to audition lehmann audio black cube linear which is on sale for $610 dollars at a local retailer!! What do you think about that with hd 650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back