XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jun 6, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,311 of 3,865

Ok good to know. I didn't realize it did SRC. I added the SoX resampler DSP to my Foobar and I think overall it's an improvement to the SQ. I am usually one to avoid touching the bits as much as possible.

Another thought - are you using one of your graphene extreme power cables with the rednet, and do you think it makes a worthwhile difference?

Yes I like SoX alot.  Try the alaising on and off.   Funny even though the Remedy downsamples to 96k - it will accept 192k - and sounds better fed that way.

Yes on the Gaphene Extreme Power cable - it's the best I have owned.  And that's many.

AC power chain to the RD3:
TeslaPlexscocket>Audience Rp1>Art Audio PB4X4Pro>Cerious PC>RD3.

The Art Audio PB4X4Pro is a AC line isolator and filter  - so I have separate ones for the RD3, DAC and PC.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,312 of 3,865
  So the AVB ASIO Streamware won't map channels?  Do you need a device to be connected?

The Focusrite REDNET Controller and Dante DVS - are ver sophisicated - I believe it's Controller that does a PC seek to look for Ethernet connections then sets up DVS to port to them - with some very fine tuning (like latency, Clocking and buffer settings)

I wasn't even installing the whole package, just manually registering ASIOEchoAVB.dll myself without any ASIO-enabled devices hooked up to my PC.

For a few hundred bucks / $999 full retail, it better be sophisticated.

Let's see - $39 for an AVB card from Intel / $99 an for AVB switch / $299 for an AVB DDC from XMOS, is that such a big deal for Singxer to "take the risk" or what?

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,313 of 3,865

I wasn't even installing the whole package, just manually registering ASIOEchoAVB.dll myself without any ASIO-enabled devices hooked up to my PC.

For a few hundred bucks / $999 full retail, it better be sophisticated.

Let's see - $39 for an AVB card from Intel / $99 an for AVB switch / $299 for an AVB DDC from XMOS, is that such a big deal for Singxer to "take the risk" or what?

I paid $800 - and it replaced $1200 worth of USB gear - and the SQ was in a whole other league.  Took 15 minutes to set-up.  Does get any easier or better then that.

I'd love to see Singxer go for it!  Throw out that nasty clock and use some CCHD-575s.  That would be sweet.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,317 of 3,865

The power stages of F-1 is:

[1] USB (5V), power XMOS --> [2] U16 (Mornsun B0505S-1WR2)(Isolated 5V) --> [3] U18 (LDO; 3.3V), power Xlinx & oscillators (CCHD-575)

+5v and gnd connected to output of Mornsun;
From the spec of Mornsun (4.5V~5.5V; Max ripple & noise 100mVpp; Switching at 100kHz), it actually is worse than 5V from USB; So it could be the weakest point of F-1 design.
From information of SU-1, SingXer upgrade it to a separate linear supply for 3.3V which use a low noise ADI LDO. How much this will influence the SQ of F-1, guess we have to wait till someone post a comparison between F-1 and SU-1.

Anyway, there are two possible mods to potentially improve the SQ,
(A) Remove U16 (Mornsun B0505S), and connect a better 5V source to the two through-holes you point to.
(B) or better, if you have a clean 3.3V power, remove U16 & U18, then connect the clean 3.3V directly to pin 17,19 of the 20 pin I2S connector

Btw, do you have access to a schematic? I haven't seen one...

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,318 of 3,865
No I don't have schematic.
I check documents of major components (especially those doing isolation: 2 x TI's ISO7641, 5 x Toshiba's TLP291 & Mornsun's B0505S) and measure with a multimeter, sort of reverse engineering, not the entire board, only those parts I'm curious about.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,320 of 3,865
I wonder if a RedNet AM2 could be modded to extract a digital (i2s) signal. Those units retail at 400$

I'm curious how it performs. Not as good at the Rednet 3 I'm sure but maybe a hidden budget dac gem...

I think one of the questions I have is just how much better using a direct ethernet connection by itself (not including reclocking, etc etc) performs over usb etc...

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,321 of 3,865

I'm curious how it performs. Not as good at the Rednet 3 I'm sure but maybe a hidden budget dac gem...

I think one of the questions I have is just how much better using a direct ethernet connection by itself (not including reclocking, etc etc) performs over usb etc...

I bet this could be adapted, but it's only 96KHz max.

https://www.k-array.com/en/kdante.html

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,324 of 3,865

I would be patient - there will be sub-$500 Dante to AES/SPDIF coming - now maybe with the Ultimo chip (96k), hopefully a BK1 or BK2 card.

I bet Focusrite will start to notice a surge in RD3 and RD16d boxes selling.

I left a message with BURL - no call back yet.

They sell the BK2 card- and it looks like it slots into a std PCI-E slot  - so wonder if that would provide a pin out to a spdif connection and power hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back