XM Tuner
Nov 14, 2005 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking about getting an XM tuner. I will use it in my car 99% of the time, but may want to take it out and use in the house occasionally. I don't need one to carry around and listen to.

There are a bunch of models and they all seem the same.

Any recommendations?

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 8
You may want to get the Delphi SKYFi2 instead of the Delphi Roady series. The latter is the cost cut low end lineup of XM tuners. They have had numerous documented hardware problems including catastrophic failures. In fact, the Delphi Roady2 is the worst offender and though I have it, I would not take it out of my home into my car because I'm afraid it will just break and I will be SOL.

So, stay away from Roadys. Go with the SKYFi2 or the newer XM2go series like the XM Tao if you want a DAR (digital audio recorder), portability, and versatility for usage at home, in the car, and on your person.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Yo! Sorry about the delay, but you need to register for free over here: http://www.xmfan.com . They got all of the info you will ever need and they are an authorized XM Satellite Radio dealer. The discounts are crazy deep at their online store.

I don't know anything about any of the XM tuners except the Polk Audio XRt12 and my Delphi Roady2. Beware! The new Delphy Roady XT is having technical hiccups. This holiday season is so the right time to get XM hardware as it is super dirt cheap. XM is poised to hit its subscription target numbers handily.

Still though, get the Delphi SKYFi2. It is a bit more expensive, but the mail in rebate plus the discounted XMFanstore prices make it a good choice for the money. Shoot, I want one now. Nah.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Welly Wu, I've been meaning to ask (since I've been through two Sirius trials now and debating about giving it a shot again) how's your XM listening be going this time around? Have you become accustom to the low quality so it's not a big deal anymore?

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 8
It really depends on the song, channel, and the equipment. XM sounds so compressed through my Ue-10 PRO because they reveal all, but it sounds very warm and rich through the small mono speaker of my Tivoli Model One. So, it depends.

I'll say it again that the programming content is simply unmatched. No AM/FM radio station or Internet web radio can match XM. Sirius can barely compete with XM on the same platform. Yeah, take that you Sirius subscribers! Nah. Just kidding. Sirius has its' own strengths (like talk radio, NPR, I guess that's one...ooops, no political rants allowed) too. I still listen to Sirius and the programming is very nice but it doesn't really have the XM depth of programming or breadth of coverage in each channel.

The classical channels on XM sound so good though. Barely noticeable from bargain classical CDs from DG, EMI, etc. Very nice sound quality and excellent programming especially on XM Classical Pops.

Man, I think XM is worth my money. Every time I listen to XM, it's usually for hours on end with nothing else occupying my attention. That's worth something nowadays.

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the feedback Welly Wu. I was at a store again yesterday eyeing a Starmate Replay. Still debating a third try. In a couple ways it contrasts so much with a headphone hobby. Oh well.

And as for content I really don't see one over the other in "depth of programming or breadth of coverage on each channel". Hell I'm not even sure what that exactly means except in music with genres covered and known DJs and for talk on political/geographic/etc. perspectives on multiple news sources. Are you saying as a whole most XM channels are more diverse individually than most Sirius channels individually? That might be true, I just hadn't heard it. Again I'm more interested on the talk side which I'd argue pretty strongly against XMs lead there (since you mentioned .. Sirius has CNN, Fox, 2 NPRs, ABC News, PRI, BBC, WRN, etc. - and that's only 'general' news - should someone want to see 'what's on' click this independent site). I just think one or the other is a better fit for the individual wants. I know we come from different political sides so that may be some of it.
wink.gif

Anyway thanks again Welly. You're kinda my star guinea pig (since we both previously got rid of the service) so please let me/us know if your opinion swings in either direction over time. And sorry acs236 if I kinda threadjacked.

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I listen to XM mostly on the road but at times at home. I think what he means by depth of programming is the diversity within a channel. I must admit that I have not tried Sirius though. The 2 channels that I listen to most often are deep tracks and bluesville. What I have heard are many songs that are only available on vinyl. The DJ's are also very accessible either on the phone and by email. I have talked at length with the DJ's of both channels about music and they are very interested in finding music that is not in their library. They have found some early rock on vinyl that was only released in England in the 60's based on my suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back