Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid)
Dec 15, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #226 of 888
Hi!
I got my couple of days ago. The bass is more than enough if you're not basshead. I can hear a lot of new details. Sometimes it's exhausting. Overall excellent headphones for this money. I compare with my customs UM Merlin ($880). HD Pro have more bass and treble. Because of this, it seems that the middle lowered, but it is not, although there are slight nuances. On some tracks I prefer HD Pro on some UM Merlin. I can not say that there is a qualitative difference between them.

Build quality is unstable. I got the curved of nozzles. Can't load photos.

P.S. sry for bad eanglish.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #227 of 888
  Thanks, I think I'll pick some up from Ali since they're so damn cheap.  

I've only tried the KZ Zs3 but they're pretty bassy and fun for the price.  Let me know what you end up thinking of them!

A friend of mine just received the ZSTs, says the mids/highs have a very nice feel, almost (but not quite) like his IE800s...but those cost like 40x more... :O  His comment: just buy it.

Can't wait...but logistics in China is really slow this week as it was the 12/12 big sale earlier this week (sort of like a lesser version of 11/11).  

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #228 of 888
KZs have arrived!

First, on topic: KZ starlines work perfectly on the gen 5s, the silicone is quite a bit thicker than the stock tips.  I'm using the medium starlines and get a nice enough seal while still having the housing close enough to my ear (to cover the port).  The tips are also longer than the stock ones, so it will go further into the ear canal.  Haven't listened much yet, will report back.

Super quick listen on the ZS3s and ZSTs only, will post more thoughts later.  Initial impressions ZS3 more bass and rounder/warmer sound, ZST less bass but much better mids/highs.  Both have more bass than gen 5, but that might be due to the better seal overall.  Will do A-B testing over the weekend and report back.

Sad side note: KZ QC not great.  The wire plug on my right ZS3 is very loose, loose enough that it's unusable as a slight tug will separate them.  The silver upgrade cables fare slightly better, the left earbud plug is still tighter than the right hand side one (so it's not just the wire housing issue), but at least it's usable. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #229 of 888
Finally I got mine from Xiaomi Official in Tmail(天猫). A Very V-shaped Headphone and I'm a bit uncomfortable with it since I'm using IM02 for sometime now which suits my preference. I (may) do a review about when the time has come :3 . Still burning the earphone with pink noise.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #230 of 888
  A Very V-shaped Headphone and I'm a bit uncomfortable with it since I'm using IM02 for sometime now which suits my preference.

Haha, that's quite a bit of a contrast indeed! The fairly neutral Audio Technica versus the very v-shaped Xiaomi. 
beyersmile.png

Just as a personal recommendation, the Fostex TE-02 is a great sounding, neutrally tuned budget beater.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #231 of 888
iQuote:

Haha, that's quite a bit of a contrast indeed! The fairly neutral Audio Technica versus the very v-shaped Xiaomi. 
beyersmile.png

Just as a personal recommendation, the Fostex TE-02 is a great sounding, neutrally tuned budget beater.

I haven't try the Fostex since it is hard to let me have a try (expect Xiaomi which I got the Piston V2 before) but how about the Vsonic VSD3S which I will go for a listen next month...

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #232 of 888
So sad.  I was heading home listening to the xiaomi gen 5s with the starline tips when the cable got caught on the turnstile as I was walking and the gen 5s got ripped out both from my ears and from my phone.  The plug got bent between the ground and right ear contacts, no sound now in my right earbud, and I'm not too keen to plug it into my phone anymore in case the bent part gets stuck.  Anyway thankfully no damage to my phone jack...and thankfully this was after I've done my A-B testing.  Maybe I'll wait till it's on sale next time as I think both the ZST and ZS3 are better!

Anyway my thoughts on gen 5 vs KZ ZST vs KZ ZS3

First, with the gen 5 I think I actually get more bass with the stock M tips, as the front port is better covered by my ears this way.  I do get a better seal with the starline L tips, but because they're longer the earbud sits further away.  Ideal for me then, would be the front port cover mod plus starline L tips, otherwise stock M tips

Gen 5 vs ZST
Both are hybrids, the gen 5 with 2DD + BA vs the ZST with DD + BA.  Bass I would say it's similar between the 2, assuming you get a good seal with the gen 5 which is not the easiest to do. With the ZST it's just so much easier to get a good seal every time.  Mids are richer on the ZST, and the highs are clearer also.  Indeed the gen 5 can get a little treble fatigue with certain songs. Soundstage wise gen 5s just seems a bit wider and a more airy feel, but I don't know if this is due to the better seal on the ZSTs.

In the end, I'm not sure if using a large DD and a small DD and the BA filling in the gap is the best design, as the simpler setup of ZST or even other hybrids with 1 DD for the bass and 1 or more BAs for the mid and highs seem to make more sense from a physics standpoint. But then I do like the gen 5s more than the gen 4s.

Still, the gen 5s are way easier to insert and take out of my ears, and the inline volume controls are great. KZ earbuds only have mic and the single button, no volume control, and the upgrade silver cables don't even have the mic.  On this point, I don't really detect any major differences between the stock and silver upgrade cable, maybe a TOUCH brighter with the silvers, but it takes some time to swap them out during A-B testing and all this could just be in my head.  

ZST vs ZS3
ZS3 has oh so much more bass, almost like a wall of bass.  Great for EDM and bass heavy music, but not as good for jazz/classical as the highs are recessed and muddled.  Mids I would say is a tie, ZS3 has warmth in the vocals, while ZST seems to have more resolution.  I also prefer the wires on the ZST that don't have the memory wire, which actually makes them more comfy and easier to store.
Both are super comfy to wear, but I find I have to adjust my ZS3s more frequently than the ZSTs when I'm using them while walking around.  The litmus test is when I put in the earbuds and get a good seal, then make a big smile which reduces the seal coz my ears move, then go back to normal.  ZSTs tend to go back to a good seal, while the ZS3s sometimes will stay loose and I need to adjust.

For extended/serious listening I used to use my UE TF 10s.  They still sound better than the ZSTs (so much more resolution and richness) but unfortunately the comfort level is lacking...my ears tend to ache after an hour or so especially with the reverse mod, but i also don't want to look like a teletubby.  Anyway I think the ZSTs will be my go to from now...

Bottom line, for the price the KZs are a no brainer, pick the one based on your preferred music type and sound profile.  If only their mic had volume controls as well then that would be perfect...at least for Android phones to keep the costs low.  I also can't wait for the ZSRs to come out, if they can tune it well it should be really awesome!

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #233 of 888
  So sad.  I was heading home listening to the xiaomi gen 5s with the starline tips when the cable got caught on the turnstile as I was walking and the gen 5s got ripped out both from my ears and from my phone.  The plug got bent between the ground and right ear contacts, no sound now in my right earbud, and I'm not too keen to plug it into my phone anymore in case the bent part gets stuck.  Anyway thankfully no damage to my phone jack...and thankfully this was after I've done my A-B testing.  Maybe I'll wait till it's on sale next time as I think both the ZST and ZS3 are better!

Anyway my thoughts on gen 5 vs KZ ZST vs KZ ZS3

First, with the gen 5 I think I actually get more bass with the stock M tips, as the front port is better covered by my ears this way.  I do get a better seal with the starline L tips, but because they're longer the earbud sits further away.  Ideal for me then, would be the front port cover mod plus starline L tips, otherwise stock M tips

Gen 5 vs ZST
Both are hybrids, the gen 5 with 2DD + BA vs the ZST with DD + BA.  Bass I would say it's similar between the 2, assuming you get a good seal with the gen 5 which is not the easiest to do. With the ZST it's just so much easier to get a good seal every time.  Mids are richer on the ZST, and the highs are clearer also.  Indeed the gen 5 can get a little treble fatigue with certain songs. Soundstage wise gen 5s just seems a bit wider and a more airy feel, but I don't know if this is due to the better seal on the ZSTs.

In the end, I'm not sure if using a large DD and a small DD and the BA filling in the gap is the best design, as the simpler setup of ZST or even other hybrids with 1 DD for the bass and 1 or more BAs for the mid and highs seem to make more sense from a physics standpoint. But then I do like the gen 5s more than the gen 4s.

Still, the gen 5s are way easier to insert and take out of my ears, and the inline volume controls are great. KZ earbuds only have mic and the single button, no volume control, and the upgrade silver cables don't even have the mic.  On this point, I don't really detect any major differences between the stock and silver upgrade cable, maybe a TOUCH brighter with the silvers, but it takes some time to swap them out during A-B testing and all this could just be in my head.  

ZST vs ZS3
ZS3 has oh so much more bass, almost like a wall of bass.  Great for EDM and bass heavy music, but not as good for jazz/classical as the highs are recessed and muddled.  Mids I would say is a tie, ZS3 has warmth in the vocals, while ZST seems to have more resolution.  I also prefer the wires on the ZST that don't have the memory wire, which actually makes them more comfy and easier to store.
Both are super comfy to wear, but I find I have to adjust my ZS3s more frequently than the ZSTs when I'm using them while walking around.  The litmus test is when I put in the earbuds and get a good seal, then make a big smile which reduces the seal coz my ears move, then go back to normal.  ZSTs tend to go back to a good seal, while the ZS3s sometimes will stay loose and I need to adjust.

For extended/serious listening I used to use my UE TF 10s.  They still sound better than the ZSTs (so much more resolution and richness) but unfortunately the comfort level is lacking...my ears tend to ache after an hour or so especially with the reverse mod, but i also don't want to look like a teletubby.  Anyway I think the ZSTs will be my go to from now...

Bottom line, for the price the KZs are a no brainer, pick the one based on your preferred music type and sound profile.  If only their mic had volume controls as well then that would be perfect...at least for Android phones to keep the costs low.  I also can't wait for the ZSRs to come out, if they can tune it well it should be really awesome!

Sad to say that Xiaomi for me is a bit loose for me which I need to use other In-ear provided tips...

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #234 of 888
  I do agree that Xiaomi don't have a good seal for my first impression and I need to look for larger tip for this in ear...

It's not just the seal but the covering of the front port so that the bass gets directed to your ears and not outside.  Try KZ starlines or JVC spiral dots, and do the front port mod with some blu tac or tape.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #235 of 888
  It's not just the seal but the covering of the front port so that the bass gets directed to your ears and not outside.  Try KZ starlines or JVC spiral dots, and do the front port mod with some blu tac or tape.

Sorry to say but my tastes is more towards to IM02 (which is a bit neutral).The Xiaomi is like I can feel the looseness when it is in my ear but I still can hear the bass.Before I purchase this In-Ear,I've already knew that this won't be a neutral sounding headphone... 

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #236 of 888
  Sorry to say but my tastes is more towards to IM02 (which is a bit neutral).The Xiaomi is like I can feel the looseness when it is in my ear but I still can hear the bass.Before I purchase this In-Ear,I've already knew that this won't be a neutral sounding headphone... 

Xiaomi pistons were never neutral, perhaps gen 3 was the closest to neutral but everything else is pretty V shaped.  Also IM02 is about 8x the price, I wouldn't say they are in the same league...

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #237 of 888

Xiaomi pistons were never neutral, perhaps gen 3 was the closest to neutral but everything else is pretty V shaped.  Also IM02 is about 8x the price, I wouldn't say they are in the same league...

This is why I say I won't expect too much from it but I'll say from now,this in-ear wasn't too bad for the price and also I may buy some Spinfit ear tips and see how it goes...

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #239 of 888
oiQuote:
  anyone know where i can buy a real version of this headset in canada?

Although I'm living in Malaysia but if you know Chinese you just get into their Official Taobao Store and get one as their pay system (Alipay/支付宝 in Chinese) do accept Visa And Mastercard although I use my local bank system to pay it... 

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #240 of 888
Having read this whole thread I am still wondering how XiaoMi managed to f..k up this thing so much.

I mean, they start from the previous hybrids that fit well out of the box, had good bass out of the box and evolved to something that does not fit and needs a serious search for tips and then need some other mods to get the bass back and still has harsh highs which might not bother you too much if you're lucky.

And it costs more too.

I hope they fired the guy who designed this.

And also hope the next gen fits like the previous hybrids and does not need any mods to get bass.

Just my 2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back