Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Nov 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 856
Anywhere to buy for $16 yet? I noticed that when the Piston 3's came out they sold for ~ $25 then after a few weeks began going on sale for ~ $16. Xiaomi was quick to come out with the 4 so soon after the 3!

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #20 of 856
Very interested in these.

I found the Piston 2s fit my ears brilliantly whereas the 3s did not. Hopefully these will have the more balanced sound of the 3s but the comfort (for me) of the 2s.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 856
I'm quite surprised that they released a new version of this so soon after the march release of pistons 3.0. 

I know a lot of people are just getting their 3.0s and are still testing it out.

And now with the newest version they've changed so much it feels like yet another brand new product. 

Are you guys excited about these new pistons ?

Well, looks like they really are here. XD nice timing on Xiaomi's part with the 11/11 release (as in the PRC 11/11 signifies a TON of sales and discounts left and right). However, why is everybody calling them the Pistons 4.0? Just at first glance you can tell they aren't the Pistons with their single dynamic driver design. That, and Xiaomi did not name it the Pistons, hence it is a completely separate product on its own. Additionally, note how they're being released so quickly after the Pistons 3.0. With no evidence supporting that this new IEM is a Pistons IEM, obviously this is a separate product. There's no doubt about that.

Edit: ON that note, I'd like to simply call it the Hybrid IEM, seeing as that's how the original Chinese name goes.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 856
Anywhere to buy for $16 yet? I noticed that when the Piston 3's came out they sold for ~ $25 then after a few weeks began going on sale for ~ $16. Xiaomi was quick to come out with the 4 so soon after the 3!

They sold for $25 on the third-party sellers. This was to ensure the third-party gets some profits by ripping off the people who can't buy the Pistons from Xiaomi themselves with these higher prices. 99 RMB (~$16) has always been the Pistons' retail price. That remains unchanged today.

(Also, again, it's not a Pistons 4, ***)

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #23 of 856
They sold for $25 on the third-party sellers. This was to ensure the third-party gets some profits by ripping off the people who can't buy the Pistons from Xiaomi themselves with these higher prices. 99 RMB (~$16) has always been the Pistons' retail price. That remains unchanged today.

(Also, again, it's not a Pistons 4, ***)

Nonetheless it only took a few weeks till third party sellers sold them closer to the MSRP.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 856

I'm quite surprised that they released a new version of this so soon after the march release of pistons 3.0. 
  I know a lot of people are just getting their 3.0s and are still testing it out.

And now with the newest version they've changed so much it feels like yet another brand new product. 

Are you guys excited about these new pistons ?

Well, looks like they really are here. XD nice timing on Xiaomi's part with the 11/11 release (as in the PRC 11/11 signifies a TON of sales and discounts left and right). However, why is everybody calling them the Pistons 4.0? Just at first glance you can tell they aren't the Pistons with their single dynamic driver design. That, and Xiaomi did not name it the Pistons, hence it is a completely separate product on its own. Additionally, note how they're being released so quickly after the Pistons 3.0. With no evidence supporting that this new IEM is a Pistons IEM, obviously this is a separate product. There's no doubt about that.

Edit: ON that note, I'd like to simply call it the Hybrid IEM, seeing as that's how the original Chinese name goes.

Thanks for the pointer. I had issues translating the Chinese and I corrected this in the original post. These no longer look like Pistons (to be fair Pistons 3.0 didn't really look like pistons but were still called that on the Mi official website) and hence I agree with the name change. The model number "QTER01JY" makes a pretty poor name choice too. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 856
Can't wait for impressions of this. What an unbeatable price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back