XiangSheng DAC-01A vs. Fiio E7+E9 Combo
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

szanella

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I'm looking for a DAC and Amp combo for my Ultrasone Pro 900.

Unfortunately, I cannot spend very much, and I'm setting my price limit at around $250.

So far, the most recommended has been the Fiio E7+E9 combo.
Nevertheless, I found today this XiangSheng DAC-01A that is a Tube Amp and seems to be nice.

Which would be the best option here?
Or would you suggest me another set?

Thanks!
Stefano

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 8
For your price limit the E7/E9 combo seems like a very save bet.

However if you do not necessarily need a DAC then I would recommend the Schiit Asgard as amp. 

But if you really need a DAC then yes, go for the E7/E9. I used the E7 in the office as DAC/Amp before I got my Valhalla and D3 so am now using the Fiio D3 DAC (needs SPDIF optical or coax) and the Valhalla with my Ultrasone Pro 750 in the office.

I never had the E9 but it seems that most people are very happy with this amp.

So long,
K

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks very much K!

Unfortunately, I do feel I need a DAC, since I've been runing audio through my onboard soundcard.

What abou the HifiMan EF2A?
It is a DAC and tubeamp, and Hifiman does seem to be a cool brand.

Cheers!
Stefano

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, the E7/E9 combo is proven and got good reviews. I did not follow the Hifiman reviews but it certainly looks nice. 

Why don't you try it and write a review afterwards :wink:

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Thanks very much K!

Unfortunately, I do feel I need a DAC, since I've been runing audio through my onboard soundcard.

What abou the HifiMan EF2A?
It is a DAC and tubeamp, and Hifiman does seem to be a cool brand.

Cheers!
Stefano

I tried the HiFiMAN EF2 and thought it was a very nice unit. I would suggest you read up on the many posts on this unit, BTW if you get it roll some tubes after the initial burn-in . Good luck.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 8
I had literally just discovered the  XiangSheng DAC-01A on Ebay minutes before I read this. It seems to me like the XiangSheng is a clone - or at least close relative - of the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, which is $199 as well. Read up on it here.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you all K, Mrarroyo and sepinho!

I actually bought the HiFiMan and some NOS 6AK5!

Now, I'm really thinking about getting another one to compare and sell the one I like less.

This Maverick really seems to be very nice.

Which should I get to compare to the HiFiMan then: Fiio or Maverick?

Cheers!
Stefano

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Decision, decisions! I'll be getting the Fiio E9 in a few weeks, so if you happen to be in Berlin in late July/early August by any chance, you're welcome to visit and check it out.
I've been eyeing the Maverick as well, partly because it's just such a slick-looking device. I might go for the D1/A1 combo some day to replace my aging office desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back