XDUoo XD05PRO
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,141 of 2,347
I do not know how with sound (I have LPS too) but a clear advantage of a 12V linear power supply is over the end of this constant problem with switch on the rear (ext-batt) to enter 12V power mode.

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #1,142 of 2,347
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,144 of 2,347
20231202_194900.jpg

ESS Dac Card + Sparkos OPAs + IFI power x + Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM mod = B L I S S !

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,145 of 2,347
I found a potential issue. When I connected the Shanling EC Mini CD player using a USB cable, XD05 Pro went into "protected" mode occasionally. I tried different opamps and the result was the same. I tried with battery or external power supply to no avail. It usually happened when I pressed the next track button (both software and hardware). I changed to a different DAC and found there were pops when switching tracks. I think XD05 Pro was protecting the output circuit from the pops. It's perhaps a problem of the EC Mini mostly. But it may also happen to other audio sources as well.
IMG_4689.jpg

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,146 of 2,347
I found a potential issue. When I connected the Shanling EC Mini CD player using a USB cable, XD05 Pro went into "protected" mode occasionally. I tried different opamps and the result was the same. I tried with battery or external power supply to no avail. It usually happened when I pressed the next track button (both software and hardware). I changed to a different DAC and found there were pops when switching tracks. I think XD05 Pro was protecting the output circuit from the pops. It's perhaps a problem of the EC Mini mostly. But it may also happen to other audio sources as well.
IMG_4689.jpg
Check with another source and if it still happens, your device might be faulty.
I never had such a problem with my Xd05 Pro.
May be also check if the DAC/op-amps are properly installed.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,147 of 2,347
I had previously annoying the message "protected", but I installed opamps again and it's ok.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,148 of 2,347
Application of the opamp module with sparkos ss3602 with modification of sparkos operational amplifiers
I am not responsible for any damage caused by users attempting to follow the opamp module replacement procedure below.

Method 2 (new)
This time I decided to cut off my legs in Sparkos (a decent nail clipper is enough). I made this decision because I noticed that opamps with additional DIP8 adapters touch the floor after installation, so I think it is better not to use them. I believe this is not beneficial, for example for thermal reasons. The legs also do not touch the module capacitors. No need to grind the opamp PCB.

1. Unscrew the screws from the photo (red circles)
2. Video attached below:

(I was using my left hand, I had a camera in my right, so it was uncomfortable. Normally it takes a moment)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Application of the opamp module with sparkos ss3602 without modification of spaRkos operational amplifiers

Method 1 (old).
Before you start, switch to eco mode, volume 0 and continue operating with the device turned off, preferably in ext mode. Act without haste, sensitively, systematically and methodically, not abruptly. This way works for me.

I use additional DIP8 adapters to attach the sparkos opamps to the module. Unfortunately, I don't have a better photo and I don't want to remove the module again. I hope that the procedure will be clear despite this.

1. Unscrew the screws (
red circles).
2. As you gently press the opamp module door towards the DAC module, the structure will begin to give slightly -
you can practice (
green line and arrows).
3. Place the module diagonally into the hole, starting from the side opposite the module pins (
red arrows).
4. Now the module barely fits into the hole.
5. Now you need to put pressure on the door (point 1) and at the same time try to place the pins of the opamp module in the hole. The module from the pin side can be inserted freely or with little resistance.
6. Be careful not to move the opamps in the PCB sockets. This may end with the left opamp disconnecting and the message protected, or with sound in only one channel.
7. Place the module in the slot.
8. Tighten the screws not too suddenly and too strongly (I did not tighten the screws all the way). Before completely closing the module door, run xd05 and check that everything works properly with the headphones. Increase the volume slowly.

Good luck
SPARKOS OP.jpg

I also decided to cut off the legs and they fit much better.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,149 of 2,347
I have a question: does better USB-C cable going to improve sound quality? Stock USB-C cable is good enough for sound quality? 🤔
stock usb cable seems to be good quality, I don't hear any interference at least.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,150 of 2,347
So far, I am super impressed. It has nearly everything I could ever want from a battery powered DAC / amp. Package has pretty much every cable you could ever need. What more could I want. A definite keeper.

It is also great that as early adopters we got a good deal on it. :wink:
Fast forward 3 months, honeymoon probably worn out. Did you keep it? :)

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,151 of 2,347
Fast forward 3 months, honeymoon probably worn out. Did you keep it? :)
Yes, mine is still here in front of me and I am planning on keeping it. Frankly I am slowly I am slowly phasing out of the forums and I will only keep basic things but this will most probably stay. I am thinking of getting also the FiiO Q15, as it has a built-in PEQ, but that's all.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,152 of 2,347
Yes, mine is still here in front of me and I am planning on keeping it. Frankly I am slowly I am slowly phasing out of the forums and I will only keep basic things but this will most probably stay. I am thinking of getting also the FiiO Q15, as it has a built-in PEQ, but that's all.
I read through quite a lot of pages in this thread and was intrigued about this device at first. But then all the talk about it only sounds good after a lot of hassle (op module change, DAC module change, special power source etc.) my desire to own this device went away tbh.

I guess you are on a non-esoteric side of things after reading your posts. Do you still believe this device is great out of the box without all the modules and other stuff, just the basic package? Will I lose anything with the stock ESS/op etc. stuff?

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,153 of 2,347
I read through quite a lot of pages in this thread and was intrigued about this device at first. But then all the talk about it only sounds good after a lot of hassle (op module change, DAC module change, special power source etc.) my desire to own this device went away tbh.

I guess you are on a non-esoteric side of things after reading your posts. Do you still believe this device is great out of the box without all the modules and other stuff, just the basic package? Will I lose anything with the stock ESS/op etc. stuff?
It's great out of box (speaking of 3m experience). Frankly speaking ESS is the best dac on this device, but the fact that I can chang the dac on the go makes it more appealing. I usually change the chip once every two weeks. As to the op amps of you aren't into it they are good. I think many manufacturers use opa1612 so it is common sound signature for lots of devices. Although if you are into changing stuff it is superb option as like the that you can change sound signature on the go. Currently using the Burr Brown OP2228P imho they are better than stock opa1612 and burson v5i, better soundstage, better separation and much warmer (burson are too bright for me). Also I think the overall appearance of the xd05pro is kick ass. So if none of the above is appealing to you - you might found something cheaper or "easier".

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,154 of 2,347
Thanks for you reply @Jahgrid Yes, in fact, I'm looking for something easy. I'm using my SP3000 most of the time and It's a great device. But I'd like to have a device for desktop use with a small footprint for the sole purpose of playing music from my iPad and Apple Music. I tried the affordable Fiio K7 at first but discovered differences to the SP3k. Bass was less controlled and I had the impression that soundstage was smaller despite the K7 was pretty powerful with 2w balanced out.

The XDuoo appealed to me because it is still transportable, nice looking and delivers plenty power.

If you experienced owners think it also works great out of the box and all the other stuff make only minor (if at all) differences and are there to have fun, that's ok for me. Of course...

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,155 of 2,347
Any portable amp will sound a little better with an external power supply; that's just how it goes. Portable amps can only do so much on battery or USB power. But that doesn't mean it's not worth it. I think the XD05 is the best-sounding portable amp I've ever heard out of the box (beating the Fiio Q7 and the iFi Gryphon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back