XDUoo XD05PRO
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,741 of 2,155
Has anyone found a decent hard case for XD05 PRO that's about the same size as the device? I'm struggling to find one so any recommendations would be welcome.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #1,742 of 2,155

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240329_021233_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_021233_AliExpress.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240329_021238_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_021238_AliExpress.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240329_021244_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240329_021244_AliExpress.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #1,743 of 2,155
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #1,745 of 2,155
this is the leather case on eBay, not a hard case. Still protects the unit form the scratch. :wink:

IMG_3873.jpeg
I'm using this, impressed with it's high quality leather!

IMG_20240321_211753.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #1,749 of 2,155
I have been doing a little more testing of the AKM and ESS modules with different IEMs. I'm using SS3602 opamps, source is typically Qobuz via a Quloos QU02 DDC and good quality Toslink optical cable. I haven't tried my headphones yet, but will get to that later.

I'm tending to find I prefer the AKM module with Subtonic Storm and Kinera Loki (Emerald version), whilst I prefer the ESS with ThieAudio V16 and TSMR X. I suspect that's due to the more relaxed overall presentation of the latter two vs the more precise delivery from Storm and Loki. There's not a huge amount in the DAC modules, but enough to warrant switching around depending on transducer, music, and preferences on the day.

The AKM module continues to appear slightly warmer and bassier, with marginally softer treble. The ESS feels a touch cleaner and more neutral overall. I wouldn't feel short-changed just using the stock ESS, but the AKM adds a subtly different flavour I feel is justifiable to me. Personally, I'd challenge the assumption that only one module is "best" - it really does seem to depend on transducer, music, personal preferences, and probably the weather!

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,750 of 2,155
I have been doing a little more testing of the AKM and ESS modules with different IEMs. I'm using SS3602 opamps, source is typically Qobuz via a Quloos QU02 DDC and good quality Toslink optical cable. I haven't tried my headphones yet, but will get to that later.

I'm tending to find I prefer the AKM module with Subtonic Storm and Kinera Loki (Emerald version), whilst I prefer the ESS with ThieAudio V16 and TSMR X. I suspect that's due to the more relaxed overall presentation of the latter two vs the more precise delivery from Storm and Loki. There's not a huge amount in the DAC modules, but enough to warrant switching around depending on transducer, music, and preferences on the day.

The AKM module continues to appear slightly warmer and bassier, with marginally softer treble. The ESS feels a touch cleaner and more neutral overall. I wouldn't feel short-changed just using the stock ESS, but the AKM adds a subtly different flavour I feel is justifiable to me. Personally, I'd challenge the assumption that only one module is "best" - it really does seem to depend on transducer, music, personal preferences, and probably the weather!
Does XD05 Pro drive Subtonic Storm fully? Any lack of technicality like imaging, soundstage and detail retrieval? What's volume and still more headroom?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,751 of 2,155
Does XD05 Pro drive Subtonic Storm fully? Any lack of technicality like imaging, soundstage and detail retrieval?
Fully? No. Well? Yes.

Storm is best with desktop amps. I have a MASS-Kobo 394II, which drives Storm brilliantly. Really good quality desktop gear just seems to grip and control the drivers in Storm better than any portable device can manage. I have only tried HiBy RS8 of the top-end DAPs (320MAX, N30LE, M9 Plus, e.t.c) so can't really compare with those. However, I feel Storm is about as well-controlled with XD05 PRO as you'll achieve with a single portable device. In terms of value for money and ability to drive a wide range of transducers, it's impressive.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,752 of 2,155
Fully? No. Well? Yes.

Storm is best with desktop amps. I have a MASS-Kobo 394II, which drives Storm brilliantly. Really good quality desktop gear just seems to grip and control the drivers in Storm better than any portable device can manage. I have only tried HiBy RS8 of the top-end DAPs (320MAX, N30LE, M9 Plus, e.t.c) so can't really compare with those. However, I feel Storm is about as well-controlled with XD05 PRO as you'll achieve with a single portable device. In terms of value for money and ability to drive a wide range of transducers, it's impressive.
I want to save up for Storm! But i heard it one of the hardest to drive and i like portable not stationary. So XD05 pro is viable option.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,754 of 2,155

In the end its all about SYNERGY.

Starting with source, wiring, dac, wiring, amp, wiring, transducer, ear chamber, brain, heart & soul... Everything Counts :k701smile:

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,755 of 2,155
In the end its all about SYNERGY.

Starting with source, wiring, dac, wiring, amp, wiring, transducer, ear chamber, brain, heart & soul... Everything Counts :k701smile:
Absolutely agree, and that was one of the points I was trying to make. Approaching audio with an open mind being another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back