XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #781 of 2,100

Do you set the input and output to proper level? I usually max them.

If settings are OK, try to do some test.  USB in and use line-out, to test the DAC part. AUX in and headphone out, to test the AMP part. If it is the amp part, maybe switch back op-amp.

It was working fine before using same settings on my mac earlier. I am not able to find any other volume settings on my macbook. But good idea on testing the other parts. Also I just received the review unit 2 days ago and I have kept it stock. PLugged it in once last night with my HD600 was working fine and now I am getting this issue. I will see if restarting the laptop will also help or if using a portable source reproduces the same problem.

Thanks again :)

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #783 of 2,100
I would like to thank you I think.  I took mine(black) apart last night and saw the gold pins.  The case was scratched off and grounded but the two end plates were not.  I scratched off areas between the contacts and places were the case meets the end plates.  I used to have bad EMI from my phone.  It was not really an issue as I had a long cable and just moved it further away.  Today I placed my phone on top and I may have gotten a tiny bit but not like it was.  Obviously I cannot duplicate the EMI due to different towers, bands, and the weather, so I will continue to update.  I figured it wasn't a big risk to scratch off the paint on the inside. 
Update: so the EMI is still there but sitting with my phone directly on top with the aux cord wrapped underneath, gain on mid and as high as it goes with no music playing I can just faintly hear it some times. That could just be area I am in etc but seems to be an improvement.

Also for those that asked about getting the knob off, it is just a press fit.  I had to use a screwdriver to pry it off against the front plate. 

I should thank you both :) I wouldn't have noticed that if it wasn't for your posts.
Mine (black) was scratched only on one place and it was wrong. Both front and black plates were not scratched. The main cover was scratched inside, but over where the contact pin is. On a place that would work If you revers the cover or the PCB inside. Just 15min extra work to remove the paint when opened the unit to replace the op amp.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #785 of 2,100
  Has anyone been able to play DSD256 with Foobar2K successfully?

I play 256 as much as possible. It is somewhat finicky in regards to other audio applications borrowing the audio device. If you are looking for ASIOProxy settings, they're fairly easy. Use the latest foo_input_sacd, foo_dsd_asio and foo_output_asio (not from the xDuoo disc). Ignore the xDuoo instructions, out of date. ASIOProxy will probably look similar to this, play with the settings to suit your tastes. Use SDM Type B for best "conversion" of formats- if you have a mixed library I recommend setting everything that is DSD/DoP to 256 to prevent annoying transition hangs on the DAC's part.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2583/wHmtX3.jpg

Final result:

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/7758/BGd3B3.jpg

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #786 of 2,100
Just received my XD-05 yesterday from Massdrop. Loving this, the setup and configurations were easy, no problems from me. Waiting for OTG cable to use with my Nexus 6p. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #787 of 2,100
Just received my XD-05 yesterday from Massdrop. Loving this, the setup and configurations were easy, no problems from me. Waiting for OTG cable to use with my Nexus 6p. 

Hi timorinolee,

I received mine a week ago. Cool device. Used it as it is to get used to the sound signature (I really liked it although it was just a bit too bright for me) and then changed the op amp to Burson V5i. I like the sound much more now. It is softer and much more musical.
Do you plan to upgrade it or will be using it stock?
Enjoy the new toy :wink:

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #788 of 2,100
Hi timorinolee,

I received mine a week ago. Cool device. Used it as it is to get used to the sound signature (I really liked it although it was just a bit too bright for me) and then changed the op amp to Burson V5i. I like the sound much more now. It is softer and much more musical.
Do you plan to upgrade it or will be using it stock?
Enjoy the new toy
wink.gif

Hey man, 

Currently still exploring the device and it's sound signature. The detailness is something that's pretty nice for me right now and I'm waiting for my IEM's to arrive, then only will I decide whether I'm gonna mod it or not. However was reading the previous posts and the mod does sound tempting. Do you have a guide for it? (just in case)  

Cheers!

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #789 of 2,100
Hey man, 

Currently still exploring the device and it's sound signature. The detailness is something that's pretty nice for me right now and I'm waiting for my IEM's to arrive, then only will I decide whether I'm gonna mod it or not. However was reading the previous posts and the mod does sound tempting. Do you have a guide for it? (just in case)  

Cheers!

It is very simple. To open the device, you need to unscrew the screws on the back plane (4) and the front (4), then slide out the PCB by pulling the front plane. The op-amp is located behind the display, close to the volume pot. It is not soldered. It is using a DIP socket. You just pull the original out and replace it with a dual Burson (V5i D).
I would also suggest you scratch the paint off the chassy where the ground pins make a contact with (it that is inside and will not bevisible).

Cheers

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #790 of 2,100
It is very simple. To open the device, you need to unscrew the screws on the back plane (4) and the front (4), then slide out the PCB by pulling the front plane. The op-amp is located behind the display, close to the volume pot. It is not soldered. It is using a DIP socket. You just pull the original out and replace it with a dual Burson (V5i D).
I would also suggest you scratch the paint off the chassy where the ground pins make a contact with (it that is inside and will not bevisible).

Cheers

Awesome stuff! Thanks alot, may get it in a week or two. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #792 of 2,100
What are the chances that someone owns both the XD-05 and the ZTE Axon 7 like me? I don't know if my ears are adjusting or playing tricks on me, but I prefer the sound of the Axon 7...seems tighter. Its really messing with my mind...lol

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #793 of 2,100
Does the Burson V5i swap make the treble smoother? Does the Xduoo get warmer from the switch? I see almost no description of the actual change in sound that results from this, other than 'tighter' and 'more detailed', which are not things I desire all that much. The brightness of the XD-05 has been a bit of a sore spot for me, and I'm reluctant to spend more money on the amp unless this is something that improves with this kind of swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back