Xduoo Amplifiers
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #49 of 1,994
Hey guys,

Headfi newb here - and, as you could imagine, I'm scouting for some good entry-to-mid-level equipment which will mostly be used with my closed-back Denons and Senn HD650s (all kinds of rock / blues / jazz / funk). For budget, convenience & purely audio reasons, I'm interested in getting an integrated DAC + amp unit - both are an absolute necessity so I'd rather have them combined in one piece. I have looked at Schiit's combos and, while they seem like a good idea even though most of them are separate units, Julius' review @ Headfonia.com somewhat surprisingly seemed to favour the Aune T1 over the Schiit entry-level combo. Based on numerous comments within the HeadFi community and elsewhere, I'm left with the impression that Xduoo's TA-1 seems to represent an improvement over the Aune T1; Chinese-made equipment seems to be held in high regard lately and has been included in numerous of the "best" lists available around here - so I'm assuming that, in general, Xduoo make nice equipment (for the price).

Now, my real question is how you guys feel about Xduoo's TA-3 DAC + amp:
http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/EnProductShow.asp?id=41
Weirdly enough, it has been dropped over on Massdrop at least once over the last few months and yet, I can't seem to find any full-length reviews of the TA-3. Luckily, some of you seem to have experience with it (thanks for sharing it in this thread!) - but some more detail would be very much appreciated... Generally, I'm wondering whether the TA-3 does represent a real improvement over the TA-1, as well as whether the "hotness" issue is something to worry about in the long run.

Alternatively, I've also looked at JDS Labs' O2+ODAC combo which, with the 6.3mm jack "option" included, would end up costing quite a bit more though - and that's even before VAT. Besides, their new "Element" looks like a more interesting and better proposition in terms of design and sound quality - but it comes at a cost of >100 USD more than the Xduoo TA-3 which I must admit I find more handsome than the Element. Yeah, yeah, I know, glowing tubes and newbs - I admit that the added value of tube rolling is a really exciting option... aside from the purely aesthetic side of things :)

So it'd be nice if any one of you has the knowledge to help me out here - both with the above questions and with a general pointer in the direction of Xduoo / JDS / Schiit / elsewhere. I would, of course, just snatch a TA-3 and write a review - but to be honest my untrained ear doesn't really have that much to compare it to (yet!).

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #51 of 1,994
Thanks... The product I was really interested in hearing about was the TA-3, though. I can find bits and bobs on the TA-1 on various sites, but no comparisons / detailed reports on the TA-3 whatsoever.

Bottom line is, I'm not so sure if that's the 'right' product since there's nowhere I can see actual numbers based on the TA-3's performance which I could pit against other similar usb tube dac amps. Considering how prices on the Xduoo TA-3 have mysteriously been jacked up by at least 20% from September 1 universally - which I found rather annoying - I'm already reconsidering.

May 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #53 of 1,994
Got mine (TA-01) today.

So far I like it, some have complained about the Chinese tube, but I found it OK.
Since 17AU7s are not over priced here, I might try some other tubes in the next couple weeks.
But I think I will use the stock tube for some time, to see how it performs after run-in.

May 22, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #55 of 1,994
My tube rolling journey has started for a couple days by now...

I have replaced the stock tube (12au7 China) with a Toshiba 5814A. Actually at first I intended to purchase plain Toshiba 12au7 Hi-S for communication and testing, but the seller mistakenly sent me a 5814A. Turned out I am the lucky one. Compared to the stock tube, the sound is more smooth and full. At first I found the Chinese tube OK, but after several days with 5814A, I put the stock tube back and found it not as pleasant as 5814A. Perhaps I have damaged the tube during the removal/reinstall process, because the mica is cracked and I can hear some noise, which was not present before the tube rolling and with 5814A.

I have also bought a gold lion ECC82/B749, I think it is a reissued tube since the box is new and the price is very reasonable. I found that 5814A is not inferior to Gold Lion, but the burn in time for 5814A is much longer than Gold Lion, so the comparison may not be fair.

From the same seller of 5814A, I also got one Toshiba 5963. Someone on the net have considered that 5963 very close to ECC802S, I can't comment on this, since I don't have experience with ECC802S, and only put the 5963 on for a very short time. However, my first impression of 5963 is also very good. The highs of 5814A are more piercing than 5863, sometimes a bit uncomfortable, while 5963 is more spacious than 5814A. However, the image I got from 5814A is clearer than 5963, and the mids seem richer. Which is better, I can't decide yet. Update: I have to admit, I can't really tell the difference of the two so far. 

BTW, the 5814A I got are triple mica version, which is said to increase the ruggedness and reduce the microphonics. And indeed I didn't experience any microphonics with it. Interestingly enough, the stock 12au7 china also has triple mica structure, while the 5963 I got and gold lion 12au7 have double mica structure.

Since these Japanese tubes are not as well known as those European/US ones, the prices are very reasonable and I am really happy with them, for now.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #56 of 1,994
Both 5814A and 5963 are both very good on xDuoo TA-01, but I still want to try something different.
So here it is, Sylvania 12BH7A in place of 12AU7:

I have asked xDuoo and they clearly stated that 12BH7 can be used in place of 12AU7, that's reassuring.
However, as the weather gets hotter, so as the temperature of TA-01, though it still functions well...

This is a grey oval-plate, D-getter 12BH7A with yellow Sylvania marks (almost invisible now).
I can't tell the difference between Toshiba 5814A and Toshiba 5963, but the upgrade to 12bh7a had significantly improved the dynamics, sound stage, warmth and speed.
Some have argued that 12au7 is more emotional than 12bh7, however, I found the opposite. Maybe these Japanese tubes are more neutral?
Next I would like to try 6350, however, I can't find an adapter for it now...

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #57 of 1,994
  Both 5814A and 5963 are both very good on xDuoo TA-01, but I still want to try something different.
So here it is, Sylvania 12BH7A in place of 12AU7:

I have asked xDuoo and they clearly stated that 12BH7 can be used in place of 12AU7, that's reassuring.
However, as the weather gets hotter, so as the temperature of TA-01, though it still functions well...

This is a grey oval-plate, D-getter 12BH7A with yellow Sylvania marks (almost invisible now).
I can't tell the difference between Toshiba 5814A and Toshiba 5963, but the upgrade to 12bh7a had significantly improved the sound stage, warmth and speed.
Some have argued that 12au7 is more emotional than 12bh7, however, I found the opposite. Maybe these Japanese tubes are more neutral?
Next I would like to try 6350, however, I can't find an adapter for it now...

Hi, I've no experience with tube amps and was wondering if they would power my hd650s? I have the Xduoo X3 DAP which is excellent and far better than any of the Fiio DAPs I've used.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #58 of 1,994
I don't have HD650, thus can't give you a definite answer.
However, TA-01 is very powerful and can drive 16-600 ohm headphones.
Of course, how does it pair with HD650 is another question.
Since you already have DAP, maybe you can use their pure amp TA-02, or some popular tube amp, such as Bravo V2.
(on the Bravo Audio V2 thread, some claimed that Barvo Audio V2 does not pair well with HD650 or high impedance headphones.)

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #59 of 1,994
Sylvania 6350 (green label, black plate, D(?)-getter) on TA-01 through a custom 6350 to 12au7 adapter.

Only power on for a few hours now...
Haven't compared with 12BH7A thoroughly, but so far it's not inferior to 12BH7A.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #60 of 1,994

got the TA-03 yesterday and I am in heaven :)  So damn good I was actually surprised lol. Can't wait for the tubes to settle and eventually tube roll. But for now, ut sounds like boss sauce out of my Geek Out V2. The amp is clearly the star here, the dac seems so so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back