Xbox Live Arcade
Feb 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are a few Xbox threads on the go, but none dedicated to the Arcade aspect of XBL.

There are two super sweet games coming to the service...

Ikaruga - One of the best 2d shooters ever made. The semi-sequel to Radiant Silvergun. It showed up on the DC and on the Gamecube, but copies are rare and expensive. I am very excited for this one. If they bring Radiant Silvergun as well, I will masturbate furiously.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - If I had a quarter for everytime my cousin told me how amazing this game was, I would have a lot of quarters. I have never played it myself, but recognize through reviews and word of mouth that this is the best of the series. I can't wait to play this one.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Ikaruga looks interesting, when is it coming to XBL Arcade? I've always been a big fan of scrolling shooters. Raiden II is still a pretty fun game as are the Strikers 1945 series. Giga Wing on Dreamcast has some pretty good graphics and I like the shield feature. I've never seen Radiant Silvergun before, but I'll see if I can get a used copy online. Have you ever played Einhander for PS1? That game is intense for sure and there's a nice variety of weapons and ways to use them. It's worth owning and has some pretty decent graphics too.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is definitely a fun game. There's so many cool weapons and other things to find. The best sword I found is the Crissaegrim, which utterly obliterates enemies. If you ever find it you'll see what I'm talking about.
biggrin.gif

Metal Slug is also extremely fun, especially with two players. Some of those boss battles get pretty intense! I love the vehicles too.

One of my all time favorite side scrollers is Super Metroid. Man I would love it if that ever came to XBLA. Hopefully there will be more new scrolling games coming out, but it's kind of a niche market so I doubt it. When having money isn't a problem, someday I'd really love to fund a small group of developers to make some awesome side scrollers just for the old-school fans. Just imagine the potential for graphics and speed if one took full advantage of the 360's hardware.
blink.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - If I had a quarter for everytime my cousin told me how amazing this game was, I would have a lot of quarters. I have never played it myself, but recognize through reviews and word of mouth that this is the best of the series. I can't wait to play this one.

I played it a few months back and got really bored halfway. (I've played and beaten almost all the handheld castlevanias) I guess when it was first released it was considered innotative and fresh, but in this day and age... chalk it up to nostalgia.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ikaruga looks interesting, when is it coming to XBL Arcade? I've always been a big fan of scrolling shooters. Raiden II is still a pretty fun game as are the Strikers 1945 series. Giga Wing on Dreamcast has some pretty good graphics and I like the shield feature. I've never seen Radiant Silvergun before, but I'll see if I can get a used copy online.

It was Sega Saturn only, and to find it now it is rediculously priced.

eg: http://cgi.ebay.ca/SEGA-Saturn-RADIA...QQcmdZViewItem and this for a copy in "good" condition.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 11
I have made 2 XBL purchases and am looking forward to Castlevania. The two I have are Doom and Zuma. Zuma is possibly the most addicting puzzle game I've ever played, and Doom is a lot of fun to play with the 360 controller and for some reason I really like the old graphics, and its also insanely hard. My buddy is downloading it so we can go through it coop over Live, so that should be a lot of fun too.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have made 2 XBL purchases and am looking forward to Castlevania. The two I have are Doom and Zuma. Zuma is possibly the most addicting puzzle game I've ever played, and Doom is a lot of fun to play with the 360 controller and for some reason I really like the old graphics, and its also insanely hard. My buddy is downloading it so we can go through it coop over Live, so that should be a lot of fun too.

Doom is always fun.
biggrin.gif
I just finished it on Hurt Me Plenty to unlock the achievements and am presently working on Ultraviolent mode to get that one. Yeah it's really is nice playing with the controller, so much more precise than the keyboard!

The problem with co-op is that for some reason there is quite a bit of lag so you can't run nearly as fast as you can single player. Plus you can't save in co-op so if you get killed by your friend accidentally you have to start the session all over.
frown.gif

I'll have to check out Zuma.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 11
just got frogger, joust, and robotron for free with the free arcade games thing; hope you folks got in on that; anyway, i don't seem to play a lot; i really liked the demo for the top-down driving-shooting game, assault hereos i think it's called

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Alien Hominid is a MUST PLAY when it's released.

Ikaruga is a MUST PLAY, but only if you're the type of shooter to get into the game's mechanics and exploit the combo system (as a straight up shooter, it's otherwise too short and easy). Treasure games FOREVER!

And if you haven't already, get Geometry Wars. Worth owning a 360 for that game alone.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 11
holy christ! I didn't know Ikruga was come out on XBLA! Now i"m very excited. This is one of my favorite games for the game cube but my copy was damaged beyond repair a couple of years ago. This is a must have to people who like shmups!

I've known about castlevania for a while and have been looking forward to it but there still is no release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back