X-Fi Extreme Music vs EMU 1212m?
Apr 9, 2008 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an EMU 1212m right now and it sounds great however, I would like to move to a single card solution so I can fit a new gpu cooler on my graphics card. I can get a good deal on an OEM X-Fi Extreme Music so I was wondering how that card will stack up against the EMU. My last official Creative card was the Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro and the sound was just ok. Also, despite the high SNR, there was a noticeable amount of hiss. Will this be a problem with the Extreme Music? Thanks for the help!

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 11
The X-Fi XtremeMusic has the same DAC as the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. (The X-Fi Elite Pro has a better DAC.) I'm pretty sure the opamps are the same. IMO it's not a worthwhile upgrade unless you're planning to change the opamp.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 11
The XtremeMusic will be a downgrade. Check out the ASUS Xonar D2 or the AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude. Both will be side-grades in a way, because they use some of the best DAC chips from the other two big DAC makers: Burr-Brown and AKM, respectively. The 1212M uses the top chip from Cirrus.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the help guys. The Asus looks amazing however, its more than I wanted to spend. I can get the X-Fi OEM for just $40 but it seems the Asus will run me about $150-200. I don't mind if the SQ is less since I don't do critical listening with my computer but the noise would bother me. Will there be noticeable hiss on the X-Fi?

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 11
It seems that I've done the contrary of you, sweep the xfi(Plat) for the EMU.
I never get problems with the xfi, maybe some crackling now and then with some old drivers, its great for gaming,DTS, and Dolby, its good for listening music through asio. Thats all i can say

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that I've done the contrary of you, sweep the xfi(Plat) for the EMU.
I never get problems with the xfi, maybe some crackling now and then with some old drivers, its great for gaming,DTS, and Dolby, its good for listening music through asio. Thats all i can say

And is this big improvement in sq? I am also thinking of replacing X-Fi with E-Mu 1212M or E-MU 0404.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And is this big improvement in sq? I am also thinking of replacing X-Fi with E-Mu 1212M or E-MU 0404.

Sorry, I haven't received it yet!.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind if the SQ is less since I don't do critical listening with my computer but the noise would bother me. Will there be noticeable hiss on the X-Fi?

I guess it depends on the quality of your other gear, but I haven't heard of hiss complaints from the majority of X-Fi owners. If SQ isn't a huge issue, the XtremeGamer and up should be good enough. It sounds like you might be gaming anyway, in which case one of the X-Fis is probably the recommended solution.

May 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Just to note that E-MU1212M is great. I could'nt wait to downl the new drivers, so i installed the CD.(buggy) First, I didn't noticed a big improvement over the xFI on ASIO. There is a button on my Amplifier, Source Direct, it's supposed to cut off the EQ of the Ampl, to drive the speakers with the real audio source. Well with the xfi when pressing SD, was all a flat sound with no bass at all, I thought my B&W were crap, but with the 1212M the sound is real not too much, not too less.
Maybe the DSP seems a bit complicated,I have to get used to it.
By the way when I load Winamp(ASIO), there is a 3 minute of freezing, then everything back to normal?,
Trying to be greedy, maybe the sound is not that warm as with the Cd players.

May 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 11
PS: One disappointment, was the ribbon cable connecting the PCI1010 with the daughter card which has the analog out. How can that transmit high audio quality, is there any other brand?

May 2, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: One disappointment, was the ribbon cable connecting the PCI1010 with the daughter card which has the analog out. How can that transmit high audio quality, is there any other brand?

It's just a short-run digital cable... It doesn't have to be beautiful or super-massive.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back