x-cans v3 and x-psu ?
Dec 17, 2003 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

madwolfa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I've just got an X-24K DAC and X-PSU powersupply. Couldn't find X-Cans V2 though, my fellow has only V3s available.

So I guess I won't be able to plug V3 into my X-PSU ? What will be better, X-Cans V2 + X-PSU or X-Cans V3 with stock power supply ? Well, I'm quite uncertain.

And I'm quite disappointed, that only one X-PSU exit will be used :p No much use of it, huh? But maybe it's worth to be used with X-24K anyway ?

Please let me know, thanks..

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by NetRunner
From what I gather the v3 still uses 12 VAC 500 mA mains adaptor.. So X-Psu should work just fine.
I'd also think that v3 beats the v2 + X-Psu .

I have the V3 and it uses 24 VAC.

Peter

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by NetRunner
From what I gather the v3 still uses 12 VAC 500 mA mains adaptor.. So X-Psu should work just fine.
I'd also think that v3 beats the v2 + X-Psu .

X-PSU is a 12v unidirectional power supply and the stock X-Can V3's power supply is a 24v (12-0-12) bipolar power supply. I was told that even simple bipolar PSU is in any way better than the more advanced unidirectional one.

Is that really true ?
confused.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

I'd also think that v3 beats the v2 + X-Psu

I'd wager a bet that my Pink Floyd customised X-Can v2 Turbo, with custom PSU, will whip the pants off the v3...

Think Mullards, Cerafine caps, ventilation, great...

wink.gif

John

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 39
Sorry about that. Then it really can't be used.. Though the custom v2 PSUs aren't in any way amazing complicated things: they are really really simple. See Pinkies good pages.
*Hmm.. Would you get 12 - 0 - 12 if you crossed the secondaries in a toroidal that has one primary and two secondaries? (Then it would be a simple matter with custom psus outlined by PinkFloyd. Or could x-psu be so converted?)* Oh well.. Don't listen to me. =)

jtc: But isn't a customized v3 way better than customized v2?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 39
I'm confused.

The V2 PSU is 12 VAC. The V3 PSU is stated above as being 12-0-12 - is it DC? There's no such thing as 12-0-12 VAC unless you are talking about phase differences (it could describe 2 phases of a 3-phase supply I suppose, but it's an odd way of doing it). What does bipolar ac mean? Surely it's a contradiction in terms?

So, is it +/- 12V DC, 24 VAC, or am I missing something?

Dec 19, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Alick
I'm confused.

The V2 PSU is 12 VAC. The V3 PSU is stated above as being 12-0-12 - is it DC? There's no such thing as 12-0-12 VAC unless you are talking about phase differences (it could describe 2 phases of a 3-phase supply I suppose, but it's an odd way of doing it). What does bipolar ac mean? Surely it's a contradiction in terms?

So, is it +/- 12V DC, 24 VAC, or am I missing something?

I don't quite understand as well, because I've heard that:

1) v3's PSU is 24V
2) ----------- is +/- 12V
3) ----------- is 12-0-12

So what variant is correct? Sorry, but I'm lame.
confused.gif

I've heard the term "12-0-12" from the specifications of X-Cans V3, here's the quote:

"Power Requirement 12 - 0 - 12 Volts AC 500 mA (via mains adaptor supplied)"

Dec 19, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 39
OK folks, I'm all over this thread. I'm ordering the X-Can v3 and am/was ordering a Welborne Labs P1. I gotta have a real power supply. (no wall warts please)

Can a V3 owner please shed some light our way?

And does anybody want to build me a power supply? or recommend me an nice enclosure for the P1?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 39
The back of the V3 at the power inlet states

24 VAC
500mA

I would certainly be interested in a powersupply that was cooler to the touch or gave an improvement in quality of sound. Is it possible that a standard off the shelf power supply would be compatable or is 24VAC unusual?

Dec 19, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 39
The power supply on my V3 reads 24 VAC. The manual reads 12-0-12 Volts AC 500 mA. I am not very knowledgeable at all about power supplies but this would appear to be a center tapped power supply (as I said I am not knowledgeable in this area)
smily_headphones1.gif
From one side of the secondary it is 12 VAC or 24 VAC across the whole secondary.

I do know that playing with different power supplies with higher current can cause problems and this is what happened with a lot of V2s when people tweaked them. Apparently the return rate on X-Can V2s increased a lot.

Peter

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 39
As a former x-psu xcanv2 owner, I find this pretty interesting. Can PinkFloyd or someone clear all this up?

Dec 22, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 39
As an xcans v2 user I used to use an Ault power supply.I too had to return my unit under warranty for replacement.The unit was
still working but as many users have reported it ran much warmer
with the Ault,and eventually began to dissipate a burning smell.Thats when I had it replaced,but musical claimed it was
power supply damage.According to pinkie the voltage on my
unit should have been alright.14.1 volts without load but I still
had trouble.A friend of mine is using the same Ault power supply
on his xcans V1 without any problems.His measures 13.7 without
a load.I,m afraid to try another psu on my new unit until someone
thoroughly convinces me that their is a unit available that will not
cause problems.It seems that the V2 units are more sensitive
to the power supplies.

Duane Upshaw

Dec 28, 2003 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Peterg2
I have the V3 and it uses 24 VAC.

Peter

Just got my X-Cans V3 and burned em in for about 20 hours.. damn, it sounds like a Music God
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back