WWII Sea Towers!
Nov 16, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 16
Thank you for an awesome WWII link! They look like something out of a sci-fi movie or anime
icon10.gif

I would have liked to see these in action. Imagine what the enemy pilots were thinking when they saw a hail of bullets coming from these weird ocean structures.

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Man, those would make awesome houses!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 16
Hey, those are cool.

I like pictures of crashed WWII era aircraft in the location they landed in. Unfortanately people enjoy recovering them back to flying condition.. I think that's kind of a pity.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 16
I believe the US built similiar platforms during the war, but were used for observation/radar?. IIRC, there was a maritime disaster when an occupied one fell into the sea during a big storm.

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 16
They are super ultra cool. I wish they were in the US and better preserved. It is like Waterworld and tree houses in the ocean. I wish I could live out there if I wasn't afraid a ship would hit me like the one that hit Nore Army Fort.

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 16
I can't remember the story exactly... But there are a few of those aways off the coast of England... At least one of which falls in international waters. I once heard that a family moved out to it (obviously it had been gutted) and claimed it as an independent nation! I think they were going to put a data farm on it ala Cryptonomicon.

Edit: My uber-google skills tracked down the story: History of Sealand

Here is the wikipedia article

According to its offical website seems that this little nation has, in its 40-year history:
- Engaged in a boarder skirmish with the British
- Won a war
- Established its claim in British courts
- Developed a thriving technology industry
- Established its own currency
- Field its own football team!

smily_headphones1.gif
Anyone want to immigrate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back