Wrinkled driver
May 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tregnoto

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So recently my Sennheiser HD 280s started sounding noticeably quieter in the left ear.  I opened her up, and it looks like there's some wrinkles on the driver (see image).  Is this the likely cause?  Does anybody know how to go about popping these out?  I tried blowing in them from the other side and I also tried popping it out with some duct tape- no dice either way.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

IMAGE:

http://s22.postimg.org/xji6nbpcx/photo.jpg

May 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hey guys,

So recently my Sennheiser HD 280s started sounding noticeably quieter in the left ear.  I opened her up, and it looks like there's some wrinkles on the driver (see image).  Is this the likely cause?  Does anybody know how to go about popping these out?  I tried blowing in them from the other side and I also tried popping it out with some duct tape- no dice either way.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

IMAGE:

http://s22.postimg.org/xji6nbpcx/photo.jpg

Driver flex caused it...  You have to try to unflex them.  Once they are in this position, it may not be possible to unflex them :/  You can try putting the headphone on your ear and pushing in the left earcup repeatedly (you'll hear clicks, that's the driver flexing) until it unflexes...  Warning though, this could actually make your problem worse, but it can also fix it.  I'm not sure if there are any other ways.  I'd wait and see if anyone else has any ideas before trying my suggestion (because it could screw up the problem further :/).  Good luck with your issue. 

May 4, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 5
You have to be more careful with the duct tape, only use a very thin strip of it, and try to very specifically couple the tip of the tape with the crimpled region then yank. You aren't gonna un-crimple with a large piece of duct tape. I've had similar issues sometimes with my KSC75s and had to uncrimple them, it is never impossible to do.

May 5, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies guys.  No luck with duct tape, it seems like every time I try to press it down, I end up wrinkling the driver further.  I feel like if I could get enough air pressure behind it from the other side they'd unpop, but there seems to be air escaping somewhere when I try blowing it out really hard.

Has anyone had success using some kind of putty or glue you could lay on it and peel off?

May 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 5
*sigh* just an update, I managed to get the wrinkles out with duct tape, but the problem has not been solved.  I'd soldered one of the connectors myself about a month ago, and while the result wasn't pretty, they seemed to be working 100% until just the other day.  Maybe it's just wiggled loose a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back