wow - using NAIT 3 integrated amp as headphone amp
Jul 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
I recently purchased a K1000 from a guy in Sweden. Haven't received them yet.

I'm not sure what to do about amping them. As most of you probably know a regular headphone amp doesn't work.

The only speaker amp I own is a Naim NAIT 3 integrated amp, which is solid state. Normally I'm a tube guy. I actually have a terrible speaker setup, so it was never high priority. I got the NAIT 3 in a good deal from a guy on Audiogon. I had heard many good things about Naim so decided to try it with my speakers. With my speakers, it sounds pretty good, but that wasn't really proof of anything because my speakers are tiny monitor speakers in a terrible room and positioning. I did have to admit what I heard was not "solid-state-like" at all, and much closer to tubes.

I got the idea this evening to try using the NAIT 3 with a pair of ordinary headphones (like the AKG K601) by putting a series resistor in place. I used a 1K ohm resistor. This would be a true test of the NAIT 3---getting to hear them with a high-resolution headphone.

Well, I must say I am impressed. Very impressed. Naim is famous for PRaT---"pace, rhythm and timing." I now know what everyone is raving about. Listening to some Mozart right now, the articulation and flow of the music is wonderful. The quality of attack, the legato lines... it's all very fun, very colorful and full of variety.

The transparency into the mix is wonderful... super detailed.

Microdynamics (the ability to sense small shades of dynamics) is pretty decent. Not as good as the DNA Sonett, but not bad.

I am really looking forward to hearing the K1000 with the Naim.

I am like totally going to have to rethink my position on solid-state. Wonderful solid-state is possible. I don't know how they do it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 17
Okay, update after a lot more listening.

Hmm, the highs are not very good. Fatiguing, grainy, not fast and a little overemphasized. Transients come out sounding a little messy.

That's weird because transients are so essential to PRaT. The PRaT is there, no doubt about that. but the highs are fatiguing.

I don't know if this is a result of the rather terribly-soldered-together, low-quality-component attenuator I built.

It may be improved with the K1000, which doesn't need an attenuator. Fingers crossed.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a difference a day makes.

Top of the morning to you! I'm about to go to bed!

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 17
Mike: You're using too large of a series resistor on the output of the NAIT. Try a 100 - 120 ohm resistor. If 120, then you'll have the same output impedance as the Sonett when set to IEC.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Okay another update. In my attenuator circuit I put some parallel 10 ohm resistors, to try to make the amp happy. They were cheap wire-wound resisters. I suspect this was a problem. I disconnected them.

Also I discovered one side's ground was unconnected.

So good news---the highs are way, way better.

I probably shouldn't give a blow-by-blow update and just save the news until I am sure the whole things works right. But I am excited to discover this much quality in a SS amp.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike: You're using too large of a series resistor on the output of the NAIT. Try a 100 - 120 ohm resistor. If 120, then you'll have the same output impedance as the Sonett when set to IEC.

I just want to make sure I don't blow out the headphones. If I switch from 1K to 100 ohms, I will make everything 20 dB louder. I already have to use the volume control near the bottom end.

I'll try it though (being careful with that volume control)!

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Don,

Yeah, a 100 ohm resistor (instead of 1K) improves the tonal balance tremendously. Very nice. However, there is a lot of noise. I think the amp needs to see a smaller impedance on its output to reduce the noise. What do you suggest?

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 17
I think you're hearing the noise floor of the amplifier. Remember, it's meant to power loudspeakers, not headphones which are much more sensitive.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I think you're hearing the noise floor of the amplifier. Remember, it's meant to power loudspeakers, not headphones which are much more sensitive.

Would putting a parallel resistor reduce the noise floor? If the noise comes from a current source, then a lower loading resistance equal less voltage. I probably didn't say that right, but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say.
-Mike

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would putting a parallel resistor reduce the noise floor? If the noise comes from a current source, then a lower loading resistance equal less voltage. I probably didn't say that right, but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say.
-Mike

The lower the series resistor, the less the attenuation from the voltage divider formed by the series resistor and headphone impedance. Less attenuation = more easily the amp's residual noise is heard.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The lower the series resistor, the less the attenuation from the voltage divider formed by the series resistor and headphone impedance. Less attenuation = more easily the amp's residual noise is heard.

I'm talking about a parallel resistor, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back