Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #1,366 of 4,363
  Bringing this thread back from the depths.
I am a new 540 owner.  I bought a pair of  HD 540 I 600 Ohm cans on eBay.  I just happened to see the ad go up live and it was $79.95 or offer.  I put in an offer of $70 and an hour later I was the new owner.  I think I got a good deal even for the shape they are in.  Yes the ear pads are shot.  I have some cheap Chinese replacements coming until I figure out a better solution.  The only other pressing issue is the headband.  The foam bumps in the plastic area are now flat.  Also you can see from the photo they have a weird twist.  Any ideas on how to best deal with this?   I have no problem sewing the top part onto a new bottom part but have no idea of where to start.  Thanks for any pointers and suggestions. 

Nice.  Congrats!  I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago when I won mine on ebay too.  You can actually buy earpads that are made by Sennheiser.  Might want to check but I bought replacement pads about a year ago from Sennheiser's German website..  It's not the exact same one but it works.  I think it's actually for the HD430 which I also have.  It changes the sound a little but still enjoyable.

Regarding the headband, once in a while I'll find a HD540 on ebay that's broken selling for super cheap.  Buy for parts.  Also, you could try taking the headband off and leaving it in the sun to soften it and then leave it on a headphone stand with some weight on it.  The headband removes pretty easy from the headphones.  It just pulls off with some force.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,367 of 4,363
Congrats!
Personally I would try to keep the original pads if it is possible.
You can wash them by hand without any problem.
If they are flattered then thats another problem.

The reason why I recommend the original pads is because I found the velours a little bit more plastic sound and less natural.
I enjoy my original pads more and sold the velours.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,368 of 4,363
This is the other ear pad.  Not much left to save.  I may have to construct new fabric ones.  The velour ones will have to do until then.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,370 of 4,363
My set of HD 540 600 ohm's arrived today and . . .  well . . . words fail :wink: SO good
Anyway - i bought a really cheap set of pads because i knew the pads, although original were wrecked

Surprisingly the pads are superb AND only £3.20 !! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XBO3RJS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I have a good selection now of classic & vintage headphones but these are the first truly 'reference' sound
I have found that completely flaw me with their flawless sonic presentation

Ps: I cut the old pads off the plastic ring and stretched the new pads over the ring and popped it back in - easy
and unbelievably good for the price - Lucky !!

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,371 of 4,363
Last Monday, the 20th, I received a mint pair of HD540II with original box.  WOW is all I have been able to say all week.  I have not really listened to my HD540 series I as I am waiting on replacement earpads and my Crack Kit.  

This Saturday a friend stopped by and brought his HD650s at my request.  We had a 3 way 300ohm listening shootout on my Vali2 w/ Raytheon 6SN7.  The HD540II mopped the floor with the HD580 and the HD650.   Now I have a friend looking to ditch his HD650 and pick up a pair of 540s!

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,372 of 4,363
  Last Monday, the 20th, I received a mint pair of HD540II with original box.  WOW is all I have been able to say all week.  I have not really listened to my HD540 series I as I am waiting on replacement earpads and my Crack Kit.  

This Saturday a friend stopped by and brought his HD650s at my request.  We had a 3 way 300ohm listening shootout on my Vali2 w/ Raytheon 6SN7.  The HD540II mopped the floor with the HD580 and the HD650.   Now I have a friend looking to ditch his HD650 and pick up a pair of 540s!

SonicElectronix sells HD560 pads like the ones on the 540 I sold you for $40 I think $35. Worth getting to try with your other 540 I think :) They also have HD430 earpads someone says work well on his HD540.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,373 of 4,363

SonicElectronix sells HD560 pads like the ones on the 540 I sold you for $40 I think $35. Worth getting to try with your other 540 I think :) They also have HD430 earpads someone says work well on his HD540.

The 430 pads work for the 540 pads.  I have both.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,374 of 4,363
A vintage Sennheiser journey :)

I've been researching, buying, and very much enjoying vintage / classic headphones in recent months and am fortunate to now own the
HD 560 Ovation II, the HD 540 Reference 600ohm and the HD530 II

Thought is might be interesting to put my initial thoughts on the differences between these 3 headphones
They are all quite different from each other having different qualities which makes having them all worth while to invest in / keep
Its been really interesting seeng the evolution of how the engineers have re-tuned each headphone in turn
I think Im right in the order - I hope so because it makes sense!

These are just some initial thoughts that I wanted to pen to help me gather my thoughts and to add to this thread

(DX 80 DAP / Necolabs Audiophile burr brown Headphone amp / NAD 3020 Amp)

1, Sennheiser Ovation HD 560 II 

The first one I bought. It has the original beautifully soft dark grey pads -
The sound is balanced with a warm, lush yet delightfully restrained presentation. They have this quality of almost warmly whispering the music into your ears with a warm breath
At time quite enchanting. Certainly the warmest and softest of the three. The soundstage is normal although sometimes they do surprise you by throwing out elements of the music
to the left and right. Very much a sit down and relax with headphone. The music is held together is a fairly tight manner, quite linear in that no frequencies are given prominence.
They strike me as a high end Hi-Fi to Audiophile level headphone. certainly more geared towards a general audience

2, Sennheiser Reference HD 540 600 ohm

The 2nd 5xx headphone I bought. Luckily,  I found the 600 ohm version. Now THIS headphone is [for my budget!] an end game headphone
I recently tried the HD800S at a Head-fi show - For £1500 I was expecting a lot - what I found was clarity, soundstage . . .  all that BUT it just sounded like
it was really trying to hard to impress - I just felt like 'all right mate - whatever'  - It sounded like it was really just showing off - like some rich dude in an expensive car
who knows it!
Almost like it is SO good it has lost the essence of the emotive content of the music itself
Im saying all this because given the choice between a new HD800 S and a new HD 540 I would take the 540 . . . easily
What they have done with the 540 is capture that magic something - PRAT - that only happens rarely and is almost impossible to pin down as to how or what they
did to achieve it
The music just sounds so 'real' though the 540's - If you have ever played an instrument you will know what I mean when I say you can find moments when you manage to
express perfectly the inexpressible plethora of emotions through your instrument - Magic happens
Anyway, the sound of the 540
Everything is crystal clear, the vocals always have prominence in the mix where vocals are important. The rendering of both female and male is so natural
Every instrument in the mix has its own space and unusually sounds like it should - drums sound like drums, symbols sound brassy, lead guitar has the sound 
you would expect if you were sitting in Studio B of Abbey Road Studios.... The main point is that it seems every instrument has a rare naturalness within its own space
Compared to the HD 560 the soundstage is like going from flat to 3D - there can be incredible height from lead guitar bouncing of the ceiling to stuff happening almost behind you 
Even though the 3D soundstage is phenomenal it always remains natural and the centre stage never suffers 
Im not sure what they mean by 'reference' but they 100% Audiophile.
Unfortunately its quite difficult to actually listen to music as you tend to become engrossed the realism of single instruments in the mix !!!
They do need some power - with my portable headphone amp (a very powerful amp) they absolutely shine. A lucky perfect marriage!
I could go on but I think these are one of the finest headphones every made
How do they compare to the AKG 240DF (also considered one of the finest headphones made) - They share many similar attributes although I find the 540 to more 
accessible musically, I think because they have an almost tube like warmth. The 240DF are a bit more reference like in their sound
I think what makes these Headphones 'reference' is what some people may see as a fault - the bass is not exaggerated! I have yet to find myself wishing for more bass
I find the balance of frequencies to be of the order of genius in terms of tuning but if I really wanted to rock out deep to, for example, Band of Gypsies by Hendrix there are admittedly other headphones that would give a deeper low end but then, 995% I listen to audio not music !

3, Sennheiser HD 530 II 600ohm

I was really looking forward to hearing this headphone as it was supposed to be improvement of the 540. How could that be possible ?!
They have original pads but the foam is missing so I can't be 100% of the sound But the different tuning is fascinating to hear as they are quite different
To summarise the 530 II's are a whole lot more 'reference' than the so called 540 Reference. They are a lot more neutral, colder with a more realed in
soundstage. Unlike the 540's that make anything shine I find with more acoustic / vocal based music the 530 sound their best, with other genres
not so much - maybe not surprising in that they were tuned specifically for Jazz & Classical. 
They are not as natural or warm sounding as the 540 and so are not as much fun to listen to and yet they come across as a lot more natural !!
Im currently mastering some audio and did some work using the 530's - They strike as perhaps the best headphones I have yet to hear for accurate
reproduction of sound in that whatever work is done on the sound during the mastering would be reliable. This is quite a feat for a headphone
Over all they come across as Very neutral, natural all be it leaning towards coldness - In other words, a very useful tool for the audio professional
but with a sound that may be enjoyed by some who like that sound / have a sound system that has a good synergy
I would love to hear these phones with vinyl through a warm tube amp.

Extraordinary headphones - I wish Sennheiser would make them like this again!! :wink:

EDIT: Update - I found a pair of medium soft velour pads under some furniture o_0 which  I put on the 530's - They have certainly sorted out the 'cold' presentation
The low end has a much more prominent place now although the combination of added warmth & low end can on occasion take them away from a more reference 
type of sound and have made them a more enjoyable listen although due to some slight muddying there is a trade off which has pushed them away from being unique
and moved their sound closer to the 560 Ovation's! - Very nice now though for classical

EDIT 2 : UPDATE
A pair of replacement pads arrived today from China - the oval ones designed / sold specifically for this headphone. They are not as thick the original although seem to be of a similar material.
Interestingly, coupled with 2x foam disks that I also added I seem to have found a perfect middle ground between the cold, clinical analytical sound of the original pads and the warm but slightly uncontrolled low end of the velour pads
These new pads seem to offer the detail, clarity and balance with just enough warmth to make them pretty much perfect in their delivery and to actually now make sense as an upgrade to the 540 in terms of tuning from the Sennheiser engineers.
They now sound incredibly 'mature' Maybe one of the most 'grown up' sounds I have heard in a headphone. The balance of all the elements that come together to present a sound from a headphone in this case are breathtaking in their NON-wow-able sound -!! Like a fine vintage Bordeaux, for those who have a deep and knowledgable pallet the 530's will provide one of the finest dining experiences available today :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,375 of 4,363
Are you sure the HD 530 II has 600 Ohm Impedance, they were only available with 300 Ohm.

The first HD 530 was changeable with 300 and 600 Ohm.

I have both HD 530 Generantions, everyone with 300 Ohm.

Natural and impressive for the age and price range(ca. 180 bis 200 Deutsche Mark).

How much they are in Dollars 

But the soundstage is in fact more wide than deep, compared with my old Beyer DT 990 Pro.

And now back to the HD 540.

" The HD540II mopped the floor with the HD580 and the HD650."  So funny, Hahaha.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #1,376 of 4,363
  Are you sure the HD 530 II has 600 Ohm Impedance, they were only available with 300 Ohm.
  The first HD 530 was changeable with 300 and 600 Ohm.
  I have both HD 530 Generantions, everyone with 300 Ohm.

Natural and impressive for the age and price range(ca. 180 bis 200 Deutsche Mark).
  How much they are in Dollars 
  But the soundstage is in fact more wide than deep, compared with my old Beyer DT 990 Pro.

And now back to the HD 540.

" The HD540II mopped the floor with the HD580 and the HD650."  So funny, Hahaha.

Ive read in a couple of places that there are various signs that indicate what makes the 530 II a 600ohm. I appreciate that the 600 ohm are rare and I may very well be mistaken but either way they are phenomenal headphones - Still prefer the 540's though :wink:

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,377 of 4,363
There's a reason that I owned over 16 HD540 headphones a couple of years ago. It's because of their potential for remarkable sound reproduction. The HD800 did not have the same musical qualities despite its improved technical abilities. I had to buy a low serial number AKG K1000 in order to get a full upgrade to the HD540II and HD540I 600 Ohm models. The 540II model was consistently excellent across different units whilst the Reference mk1 version 300 Ohm was a bit hit 'n' miss in sound quality across different units. This is why I only chose to recommend the HD540II variant to others. I compared a 600 Ohm mk1 next to a mk2 (300 Ohm) from the dual output of the Graham Slee Bitzie. Both performed phenomenally and were pretty much equal in ability. I couldn't decide on a winner but I think the 600 Ohm mk1 may have been an incremental improvement overall.

And yes, the HD540II wipes the floor with the HD600/HD650 models, which are coloured headphones and not really high fidelity. The HD540II (and Ref I 600 Ohm) is the best value for money headphone design I have ever used. The HD560 Ovation II isn't as spatial but is also tremendous value for money.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #1,378 of 4,363
Must admit that I really hated the resonances of the non-silver HD600 against its cup grills but I recently got ahold of a HD540II with pleather earpads and this thing has *NO* bass at all? Earpads and foam discs seems fine for that matter.

Mids were nothing special either, is HD250II any better? Yes I do run beefy headamps. I was hoping for a circum HD25 but as much as HD25 is equally old we all know how Senn like to make silent upgrades such as those silver HD6x0 drivers so I'm afraid HD250II would equally be a major waste of my time and money 
evil_smiley.gif

Hard to believe HD630VB is their current TOTL closed model too.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,379 of 4,363
  Must admit that I really hated the resonances of the non-silver HD600 against its cup grills but I recently got ahold of a HD540II with pleather earpads and this thing has *NO* bass at all? Earpads and foam discs seems fine for that matter.

Mids were nothing special either, is HD250II any better? Yes I do run beefy headamps. I was hoping for a circum HD25 but as much as HD25 is equally old we all know how Senn like to make silent upgrades such as those silver HD6x0 drivers so I'm afraid HD250II would equally be a major waste of my time and money 
evil_smiley.gif

Hard to believe HD630VB is their current TOTL closed model too.

Well, just got my HD250 Linear in today. 

You know how good this thing is? It's one of those headphones that you almost write off almost immediately. Because nothing is glaringly wrong with it. It is a real sleeper. 

I'll say this, if its the same driver that is in the HD540, than this is a very good, well-tuned driver. It has no problem whatsoever with bass, and I'm very familiar with HD25 1-IIs.

The HD250 extends much further than the HD25 up top and down low. This has no problem rumbling away, I would say it gives my D2000 a run for its money. I'd have to really compare the two extensively. The D2000 strikes you as more sophisticated, more detailed, and it has a liquidy sound. The problem with the D2000 is its splashy up top (easy to EQ down). The HD250 and D2000 are both quite linear but differ up top. The HD250 ends up sounding warmer, a bit drier, but more accurate from mids-to-highs. Out of the box, the HD250 is sounding quite spacious, and you can easily listen into the depths of reverb trails. 

The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to like what I hear. It is neutral, without being harsh, but not soft and 'veiled' like the HD650. It really sounds proper. Classical music sounds fantastic, as well as electronic. No eq required. Timpani and drums are fantastic. However, I could see how for some this might just have a tad too much bass. 

Compared to my MDR-7520, well the HD250 is more spacious and the sub-bass is more linear to the mid-bass. 

I almost just packed this one back up when I got it. But listening to Symphony No 5 by Shostakovich, these are quite sublime. 

I didn't compare them much to my open headphones. The HD700 strike you as technically more competent and sophisticated. They also have a frequency range that is anything but linear in the truest sense. The HD700 are brash in comparison, and I could see how they would sound very sharp or even shrill. Though the HD700 has a more holographic and wide soundstage, the HD250 is more relaxed, you sound like you are listening to the orchestra mid-house. Still very vivid, just not in your face like the HD700. The HD700 manages to pulls off more intensity while somehow keeping a natural, intimate, smooth and expansive tone (it's a weirdy).

Putting aside technicalities, tuning of a headphone can become a critical factor, especially over time. It is what has allowed the HD25, HD580/600/650, and I imagine the HD250 and HD540/560 to become classics.

I may prefer the tuning of the HD250 over my other headphones in time. My LCD2, could use a lift of air and some bass, my Denons are close but could use that treble dialed down a bit. When I had the HD650, it was almost perfect, just needed a bit more bass extension and something up top was not quite right. The HD250 seem to have even a more correct tuning than the 650 - more even treble and more extended low end. The mid-range is a bit more recessed than the 650, but still has a very good quality. 

Build, well a lot of plastic, as you might expect similar to the HD25 in that department. But it looks light-weight. The headband is in very good condition with the 'Made in Germany' printing perfectly intact.

Comfort wise, initially I didn't like them, but I don't think these have been used much at all. Pads look quite new. or at least in very good condition. Very light as well. Not as comfortable as the Denon. Perhaps a bit more comfortable that the 7520s. Miles behind the HD700 for comfort, but so are most headphones. I think a pad upgrade could change this. Also, it bothers with glasses, but this is different for everyone. The foam feels quite stiff, so if anyone has any recommendations I'm open to them, as I think that's the only real downside of these headphones. Also, mine are supposed to be 600ohm, but I can't even engage my gain on my O2 as they'll distort. They work fine on the default gain. 

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,380 of 4,363
20170501_082001.jpg 20170501_082100.jpg 20170501_082526.jpg 20170501_082545.jpg
Bought a good looking pair of HD540 Ref1 300ohm last week.
Want to discover the history behind this pair.
pads, cable (black L red R, steel or copper) and estimated year of manufacture
Please help, thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back