Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Aug 18, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #646 of 4,363

The first picture is not the HD540 original cable, because the pins on the L/R plug aren't flat it's a new spare cable,
someone tried it & told me it sounds different compared to the original one
and most (>95%) HD540Is use the PX1 6.35mm plug, HD540-13 is very rare

It is the original stock cable of my HD 540-13 Reference (600 ohms).

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #648 of 4,363

My experience has been very different than yours. I've owned three HD540 I (which came with steel cables) and four HD540 II (which came with copper cables). I've tried these headphones with at least half a dozen sources, including both tube and solid state amps. In every instance using either of the stock cables on either model of headphone, I found the steel cable to sound too harsh, and in every instance, I preferred the sound using the copper cable. I've also used these headphones with a bunch of aftermarket cables, including ones that I've built myself. And again in every instance, I found the sound of the steel cable to be the least desirable.

Interestingly, one of the best sounding cables I've found to use with the HD540 II is the stock cable from a Denon D7000 (with the Sennheiser ends added, of course). With the HD540 II, I even prefer the sound of this Denon cable to that of a Stefan AudioArt Equinox and a Cardas smurf blue, both of which cost more than the headphones.

I know what you mean
A few years ago I didn't like the steel cable too
I tried Stefan Equinox/Jena labs/PC-OCC & HD600 cables for my HD540G/HD560  & I liked them.

but now,even the steel cable, sound very smooth & relaxing,
I've sold all these copper cables,the steel cable is my only choice now, the timbre is to die for.
Try it on a very good digital source or analog source(vinyl,tape),
those copper cables/gold plated plugs have too much coloration & image focus is not good.

It took me years to realize how good 540G/560 are,they are extremely revealing
please treat it like the best headphones

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #650 of 4,363
I prefer the OFC cable. More flexible, less microphonic and natural tone with less tendency for treble harshness. HD540 I and II are purer than my HD800 even though the HD800 beats them in almost every other aspect.

Timbre?
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #652 of 4,363
I've been comparing HD540I 300 Ohm and HD800 tonight again. HD800 treble seems slightly cleaner with a bit more projection. The larger driver delivers cleaner treble at higher volume with less tendency for any audible distortion in the rest of the spectrum but I still feel that HD800 is not quite calibrated properly. It is not quite the upscaled HD540 that I would have hoped for. HD540 certainly isn't perfect but even against the HD800, it's still a damn good headphone IMO. I can foresee my comparisons continuing for quite some time...

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #653 of 4,363
Hello all, I've been following this thread and gained a lot of good information about hd 540s.  I, myself, have the hd-540 Reference I 600 ohms version.  I like what most of you have to say about it.  I do have the silver/steel cables and I'm not a fan of the sound that much.  I would like to know where I could get this OFC cable that is out there for hd 540 but can't seem to find it.  If any of you can help that would be great, would really make my week! Thanks guys and keep up the good interaction.  

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #654 of 4,363
Hello all, I've been following this thread and gained a lot of good information about hd 540s.  I, myself, have the hd-540 Reference I 600 ohms version.  I like what most of you have to say about it.  I do have the silver/steel cables and I'm not a fan of the sound that much.  I would like to know where I could get this OFC cable that is out there for hd 540 but can't seem to find it.  If any of you can help that would be great, would really make my week! Thanks guys and keep up the good interaction.  

Sonic Electronix has it available.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #655 of 4,363
I did check Sonic Electronix but I could only find the silver cable for HD-540 Reference I 600 ohms.  Sorry, but I think I'm confused on where to find it on Sonic Electronix site.  I would appreciate any help in finding a specific link to the OFC cable.  I do appreciate your reply before.  

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #656 of 4,363
The "OFC cable" that I refer to is the standard HD250II oxygen-free copper cable that can be purchased from the Sennheiser Spares website. The part is identical to the default HD540II cable. About £19.00, I think. Simple, lightweight cable; no aftermarket BS required. In my experience, the steel-litz cable doesn't give any sonic advantages although others may disagree.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #657 of 4,363
I checked headphone spares on sennheiser site and I could only find this cable (code 037974)  
http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R189282-01.jpg

The cable seems to terminate in a 3.5mm silver end instead  of the copper or gold end I'm used to seeing from other sennheiser products.  I'm not sure if I'm on the wrong or right track here, would hope for some more guidance in my pursuit.  I looked up HD 250 II Linear and all sorts of variations of HD 250 and HD 540 and came up short.  Is it possible that the cable is OFC with 3.5mm jack in silver color?   Thanks for your reply cosmo, I appreciate it.  I think maybe a picture would help me even further of the cable used if a link is not possible.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #658 of 4,363
The 037974 is specified as the official sennheiser part number for the HD 540 II cable, but I don't know if it is the same as the original cable, or just one that works for all the headphones of that era (like the 250 II). It is the cable that I got from sennheiser, but I have no idea if it is actually "oxygen free" because IIRC the sennheiser product description also claimed it was kevlar, which it obviously isn't (it's just a normal cable).

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #659 of 4,363
Yea, I'm using 037974 silver color cable and the timbre just doesn't feel right to me.  It might be copper cable with silver end since we can't see the inside unless we strip it.  I believe sennheiser would normally go with OFC for most of their cables.  I'd like to know exactly what cable is being used to attain this amazing timbre out of HD 540 Reference I 600 ohm and HD 540 Reference II 300 ohm.

I did find this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547688-REG/Sennheiser_H_37974_PX_4_H_37974PX4_Replacement_Cable_w_PX_4.html      but a representative at B & H Photo claimed that it was listed as silver/steel and not copper and I"m still awaiting an email for them to confirm it from a previous buyer of that product.

After researching online, I was able to find this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75748_Sennheiser-Replacement-HD-25-SP-II-Headphone-Cable-523878.html        as a possible substitute for a copper end cable that could work for my HD 540s.  In the end, much of this is rather confusing and I hope to figure it out somehow.

I feel like copper is probably my ideal route to go as the silver end cable doesn't feel quite right in timbre as mentioned before by others.  It's sad when you feel like something is wrong with the sound and you're not quite sure what to do about it.  Btw, other sites did mention that the 037974 is a OFC cable but sennheiser doesn't confirm it.  Even worse now is that sennheiser in USA isn't listing parts for HD 540 anymore.  

I'm in the USA so I try to focus on more local online retailers and such.  Thanks again for any help anyone can offer in finding the right cable. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #660 of 4,363
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/dj-headphones/hd-250-linear-ii/cable-straight-with-35mm-stereo-jack-plug-3m-037974.html

Yes, this is the part that I used for the HD250 and what I now use for the HD540. At first I also wondered why the ends aren't gold plated like the original HD250II cable but it is completely identical to the standard HD540II cable IMO. They were £19 each but have now gone up to £22... I bought several about a year ago and I don't feel that they hold the headphone performance back. An audio engineer advised me that similar cables he measured have an electrical capacitance of under 500 picofarads and this is quite good so trying to source a lower capacitance cable may not be necessary.

The ends may have a silver colour but that doesn't necessarily mean they're silver... Haven't had any poor connectivity/conductivity issues. The cable may look nothing special but the sheathing may well be Kevlar-reinforced as it has a similar texture to my racing bicycle tyres, which have a kevlar guard for puncture protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back