Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #991 of 4,363
  The HD540, especially II, is certainly a better performer than the HD600 and HD650. I hate to sound so dramatic here but they are both quite a coloured mess in the bass and lower midrange when you compare them against HD540/HD560/HD800. Going back to the HD540II is like a breath of fresh air. The HD800 (S/N 30466) that I listened to carefully over several weeks showed that the modern drivers are fantastic in the frequencies but not so great in phase alignment, which ultimately is going to affect the presence of the reproduction; whether the playback feels distant/withdrawn or engaging/foot-tapping. Sort out the phase of the HD800 and you have the basis for a headphone that can be a substantial improvement over the HD540/HD560 models. No amount of technologically advanced analytical equipment can do the listening for us so the wise, educated listener is perhaps the best critic of sonic fidelity we have. Sadly with the HD800, corporate greed came before musical enjoyment... Even though the HD800 is a partial failure, I still consider it a very important development in transducer technology and therefore I still respect its capabilities.

hi! what do you think about HD580? Just don't say that this is almost the same as the HD600\650, only worse.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #992 of 4,363
Good price in my opinion Storydog. If it's in good all-round condition.

Oh yeah, I'm reminded of a question that I asked in this thread months ago. Let me try again. Is there a currently manufactured headphone that strongly resembles the HD540's signature which is not the HD800? I really like the 540's but the fact that we have to do without spares is doing my head in.

Not That I am aware of. But then again there are so many headphones out there I haven't heard. I'm sure o0CosmoMemory0o will have an opinion on this matter :D.

As far as spares are concerned, if you can salvage the plastic ring that clips the cushions into the headphones from an old pair, then with a bit of foam and some velours or other cloth making your own replacements can't be too hard. If find that the later (velours) versions can easily be washed though. I have not yet noticed any deterioration...

A new headband can also be made from various materials if need be.

Cables are easy to find.

Any other spares got you worried?

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #993 of 4,363
Earpads mostly. Many on the secondhand market are in questionable shape and to DIY stuffing isn't my thing. Not so much because I wouldn't be able to but I just like to have the product as it was intended and manufactured. Snap on ready to go you know?

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #995 of 4,363
I haven't listened to the HD580 at all so I can't offer any listening impressions. I used the HD600 for extensive listening in 2012 and I listened to HD650 rather briefly in 2014. I wouldn't expect the HD580 to sound very dissimilar from the HD600 though but that's just my prediction based on images of the HD580 and from what others have written about them. The truth is, I'm not a headphone expert and I don't pretend to be. I only know what I need to know.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,000 of 4,363
Yes, the cable on the right is the HD540I steel-litz cable. Not as flexible as the OFC and quite microphonic with vibration. I don't particularly want to put it on any of the HD540s that I will sell. Other cable on the left is a HD600 cable whose plug plastic has been cut down a bit to try and fit the HD540. Black rings are for fixing earpads into the capsules. Spare earpad skin for putting foam into and also a headband, pair of shells, aluminium rings and some cloth for covering the backs of drivers.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,002 of 4,363
The HD600 cable and the HD540II headband with a couple of clips for holding the headband pad on would set you back £25 GBP including postage to Portugal, if you think that's fair.

You will have to provide the headpad though. I don't have one to go with this headband.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,003 of 4,363
and some cloth for covering the backs of drivers.

Are those original? From memory mine look different (mine is an HD540 I, 600 Ohm), and are a sandwich construction of black felt/cloth on the outside and white felt/cloth on the inside. The acoustic impedance of this material is quite important for the tonal character of the headphones, it is not there just to keep the dust out...

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,004 of 4,363
The cloth is original but used to have a thin layer of foam on the inside face. This layer was falling apart on most of the ones I had so I washed all the degraded foam off. This foam removal would affect sound leakage more than perceived sound at the ear IMO. I can't hear any difference, to be honest. Changing the foam between the driver and ear has a much more audible effect on the sound.

HD540I cloth material has a slightly different appearance than what is in my IIs

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,005 of 4,363
The cloth is original but used to have a thin layer of foam on the inside face. This layer was falling apart on most of the ones I had so I washed all the degraded foam off. This foam removal would affect sound leakage more than perceived sound at the ear IMO. I can't hear any difference, to be honest. Changing the foam between the driver and ear has a much more audible effect on the sound.

HD540I cloth material has a slightly different appearance than what is in my IIs

Oh, that's a bummer! In you experience, is this like the degrading foam in cameras which starts crumbling apart when disturbed, but stays in place as long as it isn't disturbed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back