Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #946 of 4,363
pic 1 & 2= later version

earlier version (headband & ear pads are different):

Someone told me the earlier version sound a lot better than the later version.I don't know....
hd540/560/250/222 are so mediocre when compared to 1970's flagship (grundig horer220/telefunken th60/sennheiser hd224x etc)

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #947 of 4,363
HD250, HD540 and HD560 models are all what I consider to be reference headphones; engineers who require a faithful reproduction of recordings could/should use these for critical analysis IMO. As long as they're not faulty and as long as their driving configuration provides enough voltage swing and a transparent signal, they have the potential to sound really fantastic and set a very high standard that is difficult to beat. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #949 of 4,363
have you tried the new hd430 pads?and few ten hours of break in/warm up
hd430 resolution,clarity,highs quality are even better than hd800/stax lambda signature
it lacks some bass, but it's much more musical than 800/540/lambda
and you will need a very good source & amp for it, on bad source, it can sound thin & harsh (hd430 is like a Sennheiser version of Sony SA5000)

I can't try the new HD430 pads, as I haven't got an HD430 (my dad had one when I was still living with my parents). To be brutally honest with you, I wouldn't want to have one either...

I have the HD800, HD650, HD560 and HD540 (600Ohm).

I almost exclusively listen with the HD540 and HD800, depending on the material (which mostly means the HD540).

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #950 of 4,363
2leftears, talk me through how you feel HD800, HD650, HD560 and HD540 600 Ohm compare against each other. I want to see whether any of your impressions correlate with my own. How do you feel about the HD800? Do you find music through it as focussed and engaging as through HD540 and HD560?

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #951 of 4,363
Just wondering, is there any information around on how to take these headphones apart? I'd like to replace the headband on my HD 250's to a softer leather but I have no idea how (or if it's possible without breaking them) to take the headband apart.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #953 of 4,363
HD250 and HD540 both have a very similar snap-together construction and share the same dimensions/appearance for several components. Pull the end of the headband firmly away from the capsule at 90 degrees to separate them. To remove the capsule shells requires careful use of non-sharpened finger nails to grip the shell and pull it out of its clips. There are six fixture points around the circle, I think. Patience and careful handling are needed to prevent scratching of the finish or snapping of plastic parts.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #954 of 4,363
2leftears, talk me through how you feel HD800, HD650, HD560 and HD540 600 Ohm compare against each other. I want to see whether any of your impressions correlate with my own. How do you feel about the HD800? Do you find music through it as focussed and engaging as through HD540 and HD560?

o0CosmoMemory0o, happy to!

In reverse order of preference:

The HD560: I got one of the last models before they were discontinued. I never really got on with this one. My father had a very early HD560, which sounded definitely better (certainly a bit "warmer") My dad could also hear the difference clearly. On top of that, I don't know if Sennheiser was selling off the leftover capsules, because the left and right capsules on mine are not particularly well matched. The peaks in the treble region are clearly at slightly different frequencies which means that spatial definition on this particular par of cans is not great. Sennheiser feedback on my complaint was that my hearing was extraordinarily sensitive :D / :mad: ? Furthermore, I have big ears and the cups on the HD560 are simply not deep enough. They hurt my ears after an hour or so. They also contain a fine plastic mesh underneath the foam covering the drivers, which used to have an annoying habit of just ever so slightly resonating at certain frequencies (until I glued it down). Other than that they sound good, but not quite in the league of the HD540 /HD800.

The HD650 has an identity crisis; it is confused as to whether it is a pair of headphones or a head clamp. Way to tight on the head :triportsad: ! As far as sound is concerned: good, but a little too warm for my taste. The somewhat emphasized bass makes the mids sound a bit retracted, and on the whole I find the sound not all that well balanced. Because of these reasons I don't use them all that often.

The HD800 is a great pair of headphones. A very well balanced sound with unparalleled spacial definition. I do find it very critical with respect to the quality of the recorded material. Many popular albums can suffer from excessively aggressive treble with this one, and it is sensitive to sibilance. Also, material with a lot of "attack" (drums, plucked instruments, piano etc.) seem to loose their coherence just a little bit. I think this headphone may exhibit some of the typical behavior of bandpass-enclosures, which are "group delay" or a frequency dependent time shift, and poor impulse response. It is the same reason I don't like reflex-loaded (ported) speakers. Mine are closed-type enclosures (Spendor S3/5R2). Just a little less deep bass, but much more coherent bass and way better pulse response. The best way to describe this group-delay is like listening to music from a little distance, and the speed of sound being just slightly dependent on the frequency. For all these reasons I use The HD800 mostly for very well recorded classical music with predominantly voice, choral, or non-plucked string instruments (Viola da Gamba, Cello etc.). Harpsichord is still OK, maybe because it has relatively little bass generated after striking the strings. On these recordings however the HD800 is sensational.

The HD540 (600 Ohm) are still (since 1990!) my favorite pair of cans. Extremely comfortable. Honestly, I could wear these for days. I much prefer the double headband construction rather than the apparently more popular single headband construction. The HD540 is light, distributes its weight beautifully and has loads of space for my big ears. The sound is heavenly. Yes, it has less spacial definition that the HD800, and less air around the instruments, but on the whole it has an equally balanced sound as the HD800. I have always thought that as far as sound balance is concerned the HD800 is the closest Sennheiser have come to the HD540. But unlike the HD800, sound with a lot of "attack" sounds more coherent with the HD540. This is therefore my preferred headphone for popular music, or classical with plucked instrument like the Lute, Theorbe, Chinese Qin, Japanese Koto etc.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #955 of 4,363
Thanks 2leftears. I would definitely say that the HD800 is less coherent than the HD540. HD800 has an absence of driver distortion over the HD540 giving HD800 a slightly purer upper midrange but HD540 wins on timing, giving it a really expressive and engaging quality.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #956 of 4,363
  Thanks 2leftears. I would definitely say that the HD800 is less coherent than the HD540. HD800 has an absence of driver distortion over the HD540 giving HD800 a slightly purer upper midrange but HD540 wins on timing, giving it a really expressive and engaging quality.

I think I can subscribe to that.  Plus I find the HD800 headband less comfortable.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #957 of 4,363
  Clip out the earcups (carefully, the plastic can snap off) and the headpad is held by plastic pieces as well which you can clip off.

Btw I guess you can just wrap the headpad around with something (Headphile-style) without taking them apart.

HD250 and HD540 both have a very similar snap-together construction and share the same dimensions/appearance for several components. Pull the end of the headband firmly away from the capsule at 90 degrees to separate them. To remove the capsule shells requires careful use of non-sharpened finger nails to grip the shell and pull it out of its clips. There are six fixture points around the circle, I think. Patience and careful handling are needed to prevent scratching of the finish or snapping of plastic parts.

Thanks both of you, I got the earcups off with no issue although I can't really figure out how to remove the leather strap from the plastic section of the headband. Are there clips in the little plastic bits holding the two pieces together that need to be pressed down?

I don't want to just pull it apart as it seems like it could break. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #958 of 4,363
I use the handle tip of a large smooth nail clipper to remove the headpad clips. I tuck the flat metal firmly underneath the clip at 90 degrees to the headband direction and then twist firmly to pop it off. The pad is then free to be removed. To put back on, put the pad back in place and simply push to clip back onto its fixture.

This is the same for both HD250 and HD540 models that share that particular headband type.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #959 of 4,363
  I use the handle tip of a large smooth nail clipper to remove the headpad clips. I tuck the flat metal firmly underneath the clip at 90 degrees to the headband direction and then twist firmly to pop it off. The pad is then free to be removed. To put back on, put the pad back in place and simply push to clip back onto its fixture.

This is the same for both HD250 and HD540 models that share that particular headband type.

Great, that worked out for me too. Thanks again for the help, should be quite easy to make a replacement headband!

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #960 of 4,363
I have a HD 540 reference
was in storage box for 15 years
condition is very good,
except for the earpads of course.
I now want to use them again.

But...
is there a good manual how to replace them?
Im not native on english.
so with some pictures or video would be nice.
any idea where to find such manual?

Thanks
Ron555

Users who are viewing this thread

Back