Wow, do I SUCK
May 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay guys, help me out here...

I'll be 42 later this month. I grew up on the Atari 2600, dominated on the Sega Genesis and the Nintendo NES. I graduated high school and started my life, and pretty much forgot about all things gaming. Fast forward to 2009: I started finding people casting online as they played certain games and fell in love with GTA IV. Bought the game, got hooked on it, and once that faded I pretty much lost interest again. 

Since that time I've had some spurts here and there, but now I'm at the point where I really want to try and find some games that I can enjoy. My theory is that I'll find outdated xbox 360 games on Amazon that were popular at the time so that I can try a bunch of stuff without breaking the bank. Then if I connect with a game/concept/etc, I'll feel better dropping $50 on the current version. Anyway, one of the games I wanted to get into was Call of Duty, so I picked up COD 4: Modern Warfare. I've lasted about ten mins each of the last two days before I came so close to throwing my controller through the window that I just had to stop. 

I think I've figured out that FPS games are not where it's at for me. It feels so unnatural to be inside the body of the dude as opposed to controlling a character from a third person perspective. I go smacking into walls, falling off ledges when I miss the rope, shooting everywhere but the target, etc, etc...it's really giving me a complex and it's only getting worse. 

Do you guys know of any warfare type games that would be as fun as COD, but also allow a third party perspective option? Or does that pretty much defeat the whole point of these games? I love the idea of COD, but hate the game play. 

May 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 36
You should probably check out Gears of War. I don't play it personally, but it's 3rd person so it might be something you'd be interested in. Another one is Ghost Recon.

May 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 36
  You should probably check out Gears of War. I don't play it personally, but it's 3rd person so it might be something you'd be interested in. Another one is Ghost Recon.

Thanks, much appreciated

May 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 36

+1 

I love the Gears series mechanics and 3rd person viewpoint, and its online multiplayer is pretty fun as well. I'm more into team based play stuff though. On CoD, I almost exclusively played zombies (once I beat the campaign) and rarely, if ever, played the regular multiplayer stuff. I enjoyed the Mass Effect games too. Not really warfare (story driven space opera RPG game), but it does have some good action when it's called for, and the 3rd game pretty much nailed the game mechanics (finally). They have a team based multiplayer as well, which is fun to play if you don't mind playing horde mode and everyone actually cooperates with each other when it's needed. You can play Splinter Cell games in 3rd person too..

May 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 36
Thanks, Cripple...the splinter cell games hit my radar when I was checking out some reviews on Amazon, so good to hear that reinforced. I'm going to pick up the first Gears of War and play around with it...much appreciated

May 5, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 36
BTW, I saw on Amazon that Gears of War has a co-op option. If I have a friend who wants to play online, are we able to just team up and suck together? 

May 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 36
  BTW, I saw on Amazon that Gears of War has a co-op option. If I have a friend who wants to play online, are we able to just team up and suck together? 

Yep, you can completely suck together on horde mode or just by being on the same team and playing against other teams in the various different game modes they have, like King of the Hill, Capture the Flag and so on.

May 5, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 36
No Xbox One yet for me. My headphone addiction takes all my money so I'm still rockin the 360 I got in '06 with 20GB of memory. Lol. I'll get one eventually though. Probably this year.

May 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 36
  No Xbox One yet for me. My headphone addiction takes all my money so I'm still rockin the 360 I got in '06 with 20GB of memory. Lol. I'll get one eventually though. Probably this year.

Very cool. I know it's probably because I only rarely play games, but honestly, I was really surprised at how good COD 4 looked when I fired it up. I think it came out almost 7 years ago now, and it really seems to hold up well. 

It's funny cause when I was a kid I loved playing colecovision (I know you guys have probably never even heard of that console) baseball...I really wanted to get a baseball game for the 360, so I started researching to see what IGN and the people on amazon thought were the best ones. It wasn't until I came across a video of MLB The Show on youtube that I fell in love...but then, as you guys know, the damn thing is only for the PS3. I'm still thinking about picking up The Bigs 2, but I'm less interested in arcade style than I am a simulation type game. 

If you guys want to see what I grew up playing in the early 80s (along with the Atari 2600), check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHl5e_8dZNc

May 5, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 36
That sir, is reeeeaaaalllly old videogame tech. Lol

May 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 36
lol, well I was only like 9 when I was playing that...but that's what we had in the early 80s...and believe it or not, it was a blast! 

May 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 36
I don't doubt it. I remember watching my older brother playing his Atari, Sega, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2. I never actually got a system myself until the first Xbox came out.

May 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 36
  I don't doubt it. I remember watching my older brother playing his Atari, Sega, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2. I never actually got a system myself until the first Xbox came out.

Your bro was smart to keep growing along with the technology...I think since I stopped playing after the NES came out, it was too big a jump to get used to all the buttons, triggers, and bumpers lol

But yeah, at the time it was a lot of fun...pretty amazing how far games have come in 30 years, though! 

May 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 36
FPS aren't really great for consoles, there's too little movement availability. I have played COD but it felt too much of a run (forward) and shoot over and over. It's great for a casual FPS. I suggest trying PC FPS, much better controls available IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back