Would you guys kill me if.....
May 12, 2008 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I bought a JVC DX1000 and used it unamped? (Macbook/iPhone headphone out)

I have major problems with amps (I'm amp challenged). For one, I lose them. Yep...my portable amps tend to get lost. The only amp I have never lost is my giant Stax energizer...which is 3000 miles away in California. I also accidently destroyed an amp by running AC through it (don't ask). When I have amps, I tend to not use them because I like to lay in bed with my Macbook and listen to music...amps tend to be clunky and get in the way. All in all, I don't think God wants me to have an amp.

I really want a world-class closed headphone, but I don't want to use an amp. I currently really like my Ultrasone DJ1. I like what I've read of the JVC-DX1000 sound signature. Soundstage, bass, and noise-isolation are my main concerns.

EDIT: You guys are very funny...I had a good chuckle....but I am seriously looking for advice on closed headphones to use unamped. Would the JVC's be a good choice?

EDIT2: I'm now looking for tube/DAC combos...damn HeadFi!
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 45
Certainly not!
To each their own. Even if it mean they run big headphones direct from a MacBook/iPhone out.

May 12, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 45
You can also drive your Porsche with the hand brake on, just don't expect good performance.

May 12, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 45
Bad analogy, you want actually damage anything running the JVC from an iPod.

I tried running one from an iPod during the time I was loaned it, I found the sound to be less than impressive, however I didn't much fall for the phones when amped up either. They look awesome off the head but daft as hell when you wear them and they are phenomenally comfortable.

I prefer the W5000. But its not got as good isolation.

May 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad analogy, you want actually damage anything running the JVC from an iPod.

I did not imply damage merely reduced SQ!

May 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 45
I'd guess your porsche would get pretty funked up by driving it around with the handbrake on though! :p

May 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not imply damage merely reduced SQ!

bad analogy though... driving around with your handbrakes on for a porsche will do physical damage as well as performance decrease

May 12, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 45
Just wanted to point out that we wouldn't have known if you didn't tell us
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 45
No analogies are needed by the o.p.........uh, nevermind. Must be from California.

May 12, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahaa yes! Now its too late, the head-fi secret ninja's have been deployed already!

May 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly. Now I must take it upon myself to kill you.
"A local man found dead at his home. The cause of death was apparently a portable amplifier stuffed down his throat. The police do not currently suspect foul play and are treating it as a suicide. Story at 11."
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 45
You guys are very funny....but I (the OP) am seriously looking for advice on high-end closed headphones to use unamped. Would the JVC's be a good choice?

May 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 45
Make yourself happy. If that's how you want to use your headphones, go for it.

As for loss, might I suggest a desktop amp? Get one with tubes and big transformers. Those generally won't fall out of your pocket.

And tubes will make you happy.

May 12, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 45
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a very similar question. Just like the OP I'm looking for un-amped portable closed hi-fi headphone solutions. I'm currently looking at the DT770, but I see its an 80ohm headphone. Do laptops/ipods/diskman drive an 80ohm headphone well, or would I be better off limiting myself to choosing from 32 ohm headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back