Would you buy a SONY Walkman made by Cowon?
Feb 1, 2012 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

turokrocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Would you buy a Sony Walkman made by Cowon with flac/ape........ support, good SQ, microSD and at least 20 hours of battery life?
How would imagine this DAP to be? touch/no touch/ buttons on the side/......

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 23
Android OS I'm thinking?

Also depends on output impedance. I'm looking for something under 1 ohm.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
It will be bloody expensive!!
Take a look at the new Z series price for example:
16GB = €279
32GB = €329
http://www.sony.fr/hub/lecteurs-mp3-walkman/serie-z
And this is with NO FLAC, NO memory expansion & 14hrs music playback!

Hope not,  the price should be comparable to Cowon products, and they have to be competitive if they are willing to go into the global market and sell it.
So tell us what would you like to see in this DAP
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Universal codec support
High capacity(160GB+) or 64GB+Expandable memory
MSC mode
OTG Playlist support
Tactile buttons
Pocketable(max 3.7" screen)
Compatible price

Straight to the subject, and I think very easy to implement if there is an intention.
What price would you consider to be reasonable?

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
I'm not sure i understand the question, here. Are you just asking what features people would want in a player similar to the Sonys?

+1.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
I'm not sure i understand the question, here. Are you just asking what features people would want in a player similar to the Sonys?

Yeah, as if saying what is the best of both worlds.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 23
Sad thing about it Sony are more than capable of producing the perfect Walkman if they wanted, they get so many things right and then spoil it with a inherent list of what I call common sense abandoned on certain things leaving you wandering why?

If Sony took a leaf out of company's like Cowon when it come to firstly.... having better battery stamina, currently Sony are going backwards with the battery life of their Walkmans regardless of what technology they have put inside they should of done more R&D into making a battery that would be an acceptable standard by today's bar. Nut shell this new Z Series should of been able cope with 30hrs music playback at least. 

Sony have not remembered to put hard tactile buttons on top of the Z player as with the X series Walkman, that alone is one of those essential features that every touch screen dap should have imo, comes in bloody handy when in pocket, especially if for example on subway and I do not want to have to get the flashy Walkman out to show that bad posse eyeing up their next victim who will then want to come and knock my teeth out for it!

Would be great if we had the in-line remote's back on the Sony Walkmans as well which would be welcomed to no end.

Surely micro sd card slots have got to be the norm with today's music players, especially when the company's are dragging their heels now in bringing out bigger internal flash memory. 

Sony to start bringing out models with with at least 32b and dump the 8 & 16gb models, it's unnecessary in today's hungry on the go media library's  if you use high quality codecs for music, video and  the now added benefit of app's taking up room on the memory.

Even though It does not affect me directly as I only use WAV files now days it seems FLAC is one of those features which would sway a lot of people like a bee to honey if Sony incorporated this. 

Would be nice to see Sony make the Z in the next screen size down approx 3.7 as the 4,3 screen is a tad to large for true mobility as a pocket music player especially when most of us now have a 3.7, 4.3  smart phone stuffed in the other pocket .   I personally liked the X series size screen as I only wanted it for the music and not video so was just right size for a true Walkman but yet having the touch screen ability. 

I know apparently now there are app's for the following if using android dap's but would be nice if Sony could just take 10 minutes out of their lunch hour to program on the go playlist's into the their own UI itself just like the Sony HDD players of yesteryear.

If Sony can add these features rolled into the current Z Walkman whilst keeping the price around £300 at most for the 64gb I  personally would have a perfect Walkman that I would cuddle up to every night when I went to sleep! 

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 23
well said! I was eagerly awaiting the new A86x when the rumors began to circulate. But when  it was announced I was very highly disappointed for the lack of FLAC & expandable memory support, and was baffled at the high msrp! eventually we are paying for the same old walkman in every way just with a new touchscreen! Sony are never going to gain their lost DAP market share unless they up their game! I don't need apps and other fancy stuff, I've got a smartphone to do that! Sony walkmans offer one of the most intuitive and easiest interfaced DAPs with excellent sq. If Sony listens to their customers(US) and make these changes they will regain their crown as the personal audio King!

But will they?

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Sad thing about it Sony are more than capable of producing the perfect Walkman if they wanted, they get so many things right and then spoil it with a inherent list of what I call common sense abandoned on certain things leaving you wandering why?

If Sony took a leaf out of company's like Cowon when it come to firstly.... having better battery stamina, currently Sony are going backwards with the battery life of their Walkmans regardless of what technology they have put inside they should of done more R&D into making a battery that would be an acceptable standard by today's bar. Nut shell this new Z Series should of been able cope with 30hrs music playback at least. 

Sony have not remembered to put hard tactile buttons on top of the Z player as with the X series Walkman, that alone is one of those essential features that every touch screen dap should have imo, comes in bloody handy when in pocket, especially if for example on subway and I do not want to have to get the flashy Walkman out to show that bad posse eyeing up their next victim who will then want to come and knock my teeth out for it!

Would be great if we had the in-line remote's back on the Sony Walkmans as well which would be welcomed to no end.

Surely micro sd card slots have got to be the norm with today's music players, especially when the company's are dragging their heels now in bringing out bigger internal flash memory. 

Sony to start bringing out models with with at least 32b and dump the 8 & 16gb models, it's unnecessary in today's hungry on the go media library's  if you use high quality codecs for music, video and  the now added benefit of app's taking up room on the memory.

Even though It does not affect me directly as I only use WAV files now days it seems FLAC is one of those features which would sway a lot of people like a bee to honey if Sony incorporated this. 

Would be nice to see Sony make the Z in the next screen size down approx 3.7 as the 4,3 screen is a tad to large for true mobility as a pocket music player especially when most of us now have a 3.7, 4.3  smart phone stuffed in the other pocket .   I personally liked the X series size screen as I only wanted it for the music and not video so was just right size for a true Walkman but yet having the touch screen ability. 

I know apparently now there are app's for the following if using android dap's but would be nice if Sony could just take 10 minutes out of their lunch hour to program on the go playlist's into the their own UI itself just like the Sony HDD players of yesteryear.

If Sony can add these features rolled into the current Z Walkman whilst keeping the price around £300 at most for the 64gb I  personally would have a perfect Walkman that I would cuddle up to every night when I went to sleep! 

Took the words, out of my mouth. I could not have said it better myself. "Make Believe" is a SONY's motto, an It is making  us believe in nothing to hope for!
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 23
Sony isnt the best hardware manufacturer, thats why they aren't making money anymore.

Samsung can provide the software and hardware that doesn't relate to music e.g. screen, processor, Android (since they have the best Gingerbread skin that is arguably better than stock (TW4)), etc

Cowon can do the eq and the musical internals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back