Would you accept a postal COD as a payment option?
Feb 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got on offer in on something I'm selling but the prospective buyer insists on this payment method, which seems to involve payment to the sender before the item can be fully "delivered." Has anyone used it and if so what were your experiences?

Here's the CP link: Canada Post - Collect on Delivery (COD) - Supplementary Services

thanks and best,

o

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 12
If he doesn't pay on delivery the postie won't give it to him so it should be safe. Unless he pays with counterfeit money.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 12
It's a totally legitimate form of payment, but why does he insist on paying COD? What happens if you send it to him, and while it is in transit he decides he doesn't want it? Then you have paid for the shipping, and the item is sent back to you. I can't really think of a reason that someone couldn't pay either by a cheque or paypal. Srsly.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 12
no. postal cod isnt as safe as fedex/ups.
im not 100% sure on this but on postal cod, receiver can choose to either pay by check or mo. if that is the case, if the check isnt good, you are also not good.

we ship a lot of things everyday and we dont take postal cod as payment option. however, we accept ups/fedex cod money order. but again, nowadays, they make counterfeit money orders, too.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 12
I would check with Canada Post, personally. According to the link, CP sends you a postal money order when they receive payment. However, if the cheque/money order they receive is bad, who takes the loss? I expect it's not CP - they would probably pass that on to you. If it's you who takes the loss, then I would make sure it's a reputable head-fier you're selling to before proceeding.

Why don't they just send you a cheque/MO, and let you send them the goods after it clears? You have good standing around here.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 12
I thought COD is cash only. I did COD once way back in 1986 and had to pay cash to the CP postie. Personal check or other form of payment was not an option. That's why it is called "cash on delivery". Maybe the payment options have changed since then though.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought COD is cash only. I did COD once way back in 1986 and had to pay cash to the CP postie. Personal check or other form of payment was not an option. That's why it is called "cash on delivery". Maybe the payment options have changed since then though.

i believe that cod stands for collect on delivery.

a long time ago, we shipped a merchandise to virgin island or something. we demanded cod money order but i think they said they cant control the payment method. so we decided to just ship it. we told the buyer to send a money order, not a check but he sent us the check and it bounced a few times. fortunately, we re-deposited it several times and it went thru.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a totally legitimate form of payment, but why does he insist on paying COD? What happens if you send it to him, and while it is in transit he decides he doesn't want it? Then you have paid for the shipping, and the item is sent back to you. I can't really think of a reason that someone couldn't pay either by a cheque or paypal. Srsly.

Srsly.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 12
In my country COD means Cash on delivery so the goods won't be delivered if you don't pay cash to the postman. If in Canada you can choose using a check, then it's better for you to ask.
COD has the advantage for the buyer over Paypal or wire transfer that he/she will only pay if the goods arrive and it's what he purchased. Any other method -but Escrow services- is a blind bet on the seller's good will, hoping he's sending the goods once receives the money. I think this is an obvious difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back