Would Stax SR-80 Pro Electrets benefit from an upgrade in Amplifier?
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
I have the SR-80 Pros paired with the SRM-Xs amp.  I believe that any Pro bias amp will also drive them?  Is this true?  Would they get any benefit from an upgrade in amplifier??

Thanks so much,
Ian

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 6
I had electrets some years back and while not quite as detailed as electrostats, they would in all likelihood show an improvement with a better amp.  And if not then use your amp with a better headphone.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 6
The SRM-Xs uses the same PCB as the earlier SRM-X but the bias supplies aren't populated nor is there a wire from the bias pin.  Both can be easily added turning it into a fully fledged electrostatic amp.  It's not a bad amp at that, mosfet outputs and pretty much the same circuit as is still used in the SRM-252.  Here is a shot of the inside of my unit with the bias supplies populated (red caps)...

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Spritzer.  I was worried no one came to these forums anymore.  I'm not very good at DIY and would hate to ruin the amp.  The SR80 Pros are nice but I feel they are lacking in a lot of areas.  I'm finding more enjoyment from my M50 and Amp right now.  However I miss the Stax quickness and soundstage.   I really don't have $1500 to upgrade to a nice set of Stax though.  I did try to sell the SR80 and SRM-Xs but mo one has bitten on it.  Not sure where to go from here to be honest.  
Thanks for your help!

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Tell me, you can connect headphones to the amplifier Stax SR80 Stax SRM-600 ?
Do not they burn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back