Would people be interested in a new high quality DAP that takes 2.5 inch HDD's?
Nov 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61
as the title.  i for one am aware that Apple long lost the audio mantle in terms of quality but the ipod still maxes out the storage space.  my old 5G is only 60GB which SD cards have now matched but they arent close to the 160GB of the classic.

so i was thinking wouldnt it be nice if someone launched a new high quality DAP but instead of taking SD cards it took a 2.5 inch hard drive instead.  i for one would love to be able to buy my own hard drive, as large as i like and then fill it several hundred GB of music.

how many of you other people out there would be interested in such a thing?  i was hoping if there was enough interest in something like that then a DAP maker might take interest and make one.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 61
Desirable concept but should not compromise on the connectivity front like a proper linear line-out as well as a digital out (3.5mm toslink or like) since these devices are purposely to be made for audio primarily. Top it with a reliable fluid UI (native rockbox out of the box maybe) and pocketable mass. Sounds quite a good recipe to me already.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 61
well maybe but since im just speculating id rather it was removable like an sd card is so that as hdd or ssd's if youd rather get bigger  you can change up if you want.  id love ifi  could could just stick all my music on there rather than just a few thousand tracks.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:
Desirable concept but should not compromise on the connectivity front like a proper linear line-out as well as a digital out (3.5mm toslink or like) since these devices are purposely to be made for audio primarily. Top it with a reliable fluid UI (native rockbox out of the box maybe) and pocketable mass. Sounds quite a good recipe to me already.

Love the native Rockbox idea!!

Quality analog & digital outs + swappable HDDs + Rockbox + great sounding integrated DAC and amp = very happy head-fiers!!

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 61
Well, i would actually prefer 1,8" HDD's, just like the iPod's and Zune's have/had but i allways wanted a quick swap HDD tray, because pulling the ******* back cover off of the iPod whenever a drive fails kinda sucks... hmm aren't 2,5" a slight bit too heavy to be still considered as "portable"?

EDIT: btw there's another thing to consider: afaik, the 2,5 inch drives aren't as tough as the smaller ones, so there's quiet big change that a 2,5 inch drives fails, even after one single drop, while a 1,8" drive could survive... (own experience... i dropped 2,5 yr old iPod 6th Gen. 160 Gig already 10 times, at least! and it still runs on its first HDD!) 

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 61
Actually large hard drive DAPs are attractive to many head fiers include me because storage and portability. I wonder if Creative, iRiver , Samsung, Toshiba also start making 160GB+ DAPs, so many can enjoy there large libraries on it and if they comes with lineout, better DAC/AMPs then it will be great step up in audio file direction.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 61
I want a low priced player with 4 micro SDXC card slots.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 61
The prices of SDDs are getting lower. The number of ppl who want to carry around thousands of songs are pretty small, unfortunately.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 61
I have an iPod 5G 60go too, but in it I have a Tarkan => Compact Flash Sony Adaptator => Memory Stick Pro Duo Adaptator => Two micro SD, you can also up to 128go :wink:

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 61
Does that work ok - I mean the Tarkan adaptor >> CF Adaptor >> SD card??

I have the Tarkan and a 64GB CF card in my Ipod Video - I couldn't afford to go higher capacity. If you could use a CF adaptor and use SD cards it would be more affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back