Would love to hear from diy'ers of Senn 580/600/650
Mar 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
I have a the 580s myself and I would love to improve them. They are currently not doing it for me. I am using them with a Millet Max and emu 0404 usb from a laptop.

I prefer a warmer presentation to the music so I want to give the Senns a chance. Can anyone offer up their personal experiences of modding these cans?

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried the HD650s? They have a different sound characteristic than the 580/600.

There a lot of ways to 'upgrade' the high-end Sennheisers. Some people simply remove the foam padding that's over the drivers. There's a whole industry of aftermarket Sennheiser cables, both single-ended and balanced. Some even send them to a place like Headphile to get the cups 'woodied', where you can completely customize the cup aperture (or make them into closed phones).

Of course, there's always the option of auditioning other brands.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the reply MoodySteve.

I contemplated trying other headphones but I wouldn't know where to start. I thought I could try to make the 580s as best a possible and the reevaluate.

Have you ever changed the grills, made your own cable, or removed the foam padding yourself?

I briefly attempted to remove the foam padding but it seemed to me one had to rip it out. I wasn't ready to do that.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Try this link from apuresound:

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure

It goes through removing the foam pad in front of the driver, as well as the foam at the back.

Keep in mind, the foam removal at the back is semi-permanent, and it is very hard to put the foam back in once you've removed it.
(You might want to remove the front foam first, and if you like the effect then consider the back.)

I've de-veiled my HD580's that way, and the highs seemed slightly more transparent after removing both the foam at the front and the back. Unfortunately I changed my mind when I saw the exposed driver sticking out.

Solution: Remove the foam and cover the driver with stockings.

Try both out and see what you like...

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 18
The 580's are fairly dark with the stock cable. I never thought I'd say this, but the Cardas cable can make all the difference. I have one, but put it on my HD600's when I bought a pair of those. Going back to the stock cable on the 580's with the MAX is sort of yuck.

The funny thing is, the HD580 (mine with the Cardas) is what cetoole and I both used to prove out the MAX prototypes. So, the synergy is there with the right cable and setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 18
tomb, great to hear from you. Thanks for chiming in. I will try the mods and find myself a cable. The darn things get scoffed up so quickly on here. This is going to be fun!

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 580's are fairly dark with the stock cable. I never thought I'd say this, but the Cardas cable can make all the difference. I have one, but put it on my HD600's when I bought a pair of those. Going back to the stock cable on the 580's with the MAX is sort of yuck.

The funny thing is, the HD580 (mine with the Cardas) is what cetoole and I both used to prove out the MAX prototypes. So, the synergy is there with the right cable and setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whats the cardas cable like with hd600? Do they make much difference? Where can you get them?

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Last night I removed the foam in front and behind the driver by following the instructions in the links above.

A helpful tip I would suggest is to use a butter knife to remove the grill. Slide the knife behind the cup and gently pull the knife towards you. The cup will pop right off.

Another note, the foam behind the driver was not as easy to remove as I expected. I did not have tweezers on to use though.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 18
I am not ready to say just yet whether the change made a real difference or not.

My initial impressions are that I am enjoying the headphones more than yesterday though. I like to listen for a while, leave my desk for a while then come back for another listening session. In the past when I put the headphones back on, I can tell how significant the veil is. Right now I am heading less of the "veil" effect and the highs seem to exist.

I will keep you posted.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 18
The only change I made was to swap the original cable for a HD650 one.

I thought it improved them a lot, but I might have imagined it.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back