Would it be possible for a record label to sell binaural vinyl records?
Sep 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes, it's possible and they exist. Binaural has been around since 1881.

If you look on eBay, you can find old binaural vinyl records for sale. You'll probably mostly find demonstration records, live jazz, and live classical recording in binaural on vinyl. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 11
  Yes, it's possible and they exist. Binaural has been around since 1881.

If you look on eBay, you can find old binaural vinyl records for sale. You'll probably mostly find demonstration records, live jazz, and live classical recording in binaural on vinyl.

1881? I'm assuming you meant to say 1981.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 11
  1881? I'm assuming you meant to say 1981.

Nope. I meant 1881. There were early experiments with binaural  just after the invention of the telephone.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah, if you look on eBay, you'll find old '70s vinyl binaural demonstration LPs from Stereo Review magazine and stuff like that. Way before the CD and digital, they were putting binaural stuff on vinyl.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Great reply from Statocasterman!

Binaural has indeed been around for A LONG TIME.

However, early stereo was also referred to as binaural.

A for binaural on vinyl...yeah...it's possible but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Why? The noise. To really appreciate binaual dummy head and holophonic recordings, you need to listen to the playback on headphones. Headphones will augment the noise that's in the vinyl groves. I own several mint binaural records and no matter how well you clean them, you will always hear more noise than what I consider ideal.

If you really want to enjoy binaural, it's best to find modern day recordings recorded digitally. They are hard to find but there are a few out there worth pursuing. The best ones, IMHO, are done using the Aachen Head with the Neumann KU-100 being a close second.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 11
  Great reply from Statocasterman!

Binaural has indeed been around for A LONG TIME.

However, early stereo was also referred to as binaural.

A for binaural on vinyl...yeah...it's possible but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Why? The noise. To really appreciate binaual dummy head and holophonic recordings, you need to listen to the playback on headphones. Headphones will augment the noise that's in the vinyl groves. I own several mint binaural records and no matter how well you clean them, you will always hear more noise than what I consider ideal.

If you really want to enjoy binaural, it's best to find modern day recordings recorded digitally. They are hard to find but there are a few out there worth pursuing. The best ones, IMHO, are done using the Aachen Head with the Neumann KU-100 being a close second.

I've never listened to a vinyl record through a pair of headphones before so I wouldn't know what this effect is like but, for what it's worth, I happen to like listening to the imperfections inherent in vinyl through speakers. I think the pops and other associated noises add character to the music. These noises help me to "feel" the music if you know what I mean. Because of this, I don't think I would mind listening to a binaural record through headphones but I could be wrong.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 11
I would love to see binaural versions made available for current recordings. This would be digital of course. I think this is a bit of a dream which won't see reality, however there are so many people listening to music now on headphones with the iPod and other mobile devices so common, that maybe some recording companies might consider this.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 11
  I would love to see binaural versions made available for current recordings. This would be digital of course. I think this is a bit of a dream which won't see reality, however there are so many people listening to music now on headphones with the iPod and other mobile devices so common, that maybe some recording companies might consider this.

People have been doing this for years and yet I haven't seen any record labels show any interest in doing what you said. It certainly doesn't seem like binaural recordings are ever going to be a mainstream thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back