Would an audiophile DAP sell?
Aug 12, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #31 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All non-IMod'd iPods sound like absolute crap.

You don't know what you're talking about.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

All non-IMod'd iPods sound like absolute crap.

You've owned/heard them all for an extended period of time, have you?

EDIT: Your Cowon X5's lineout is getting hammered by folks in the Move amplifier thread. It's looking like you are really biased vs. looking at things objectively. Statements like your one above are unnecessary.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #36 of 77
Quote:

lol, ok. Sure. What is your iPod setup?

I have seven iPods going back to a 30 gig 3g that I have had since it came out and all the way forward to an 8 gig iPhone. I've compared the balanced line level output of the 3g and 5g against my home CD player using AIFF files. The sound quality was identical. I use my iPods every day.

See ya
Steve

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 77
By the way, since I made the comment about wanting to see an iPod digital out, I have to say that I think what I'm getting out of my iPod the way it is--it's just fine, and I often run the iPod through my Opera to my Edition 9s in total happiness.

I don't think the iPod is crap, but I can tell that a lot of recordings certainly are--they sound the exact same kind of awful no matter what I run them through, even directly from CDs--and low bitrate mp3s suck, too, there's no question about that.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've owned/heard them all for an extended period of time, have you?

EDIT: Your Cowon X5's lineout is getting hammered by folks in the Move amplifier thread. It's looking like you are really biased vs. looking at things objectively. Statements like your one above are unnecessary.

It doesn't sound too great. Why do you think I'm trying to create an optical out on it? It has a **** load of hiss.

I had a mini (the battery died after a few months), and I've listened to many, many iPods (4G and up) and they sound like crap. I haven't heard the LO for too long though. Mainly just HP out.

Aug 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 77
I too have not been impressed with the LO on my x5...you are actually trying to do a digital out! thats brave, hope you dont fry your x5! let us know how it turns out.

the audiophile diy dap project will appeal to some and not to others I think it has great potential. and with 2.5 drives getting larger all the time

am hoping it will compete, and be a poor mans opus

Dan

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

It doesn't sound too great. Why do you think I'm trying to create an optical out on it? It has a **** load of hiss.

I had a mini (the battery died after a few months), and I've listened to many, many iPods (4G and up) and they sound like crap. I haven't heard the LO for too long though. Mainly just HP out.

I'm just curious why you think adding an optical out would clean up the overall line out signal? Looks like there is more wrong with the design on line out. It makes more sense to put the time taking something with potential and tweaking it.

As far as not listening to line out long, that is the problem with your analysis of the iPods. The line out is where the value starts and iModded line out improves on it.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

I'm just curious why you think adding an optical out would clean up the overall line out signal? Looks like there is more wrong with the design on line out. It makes more sense to put the time taking something with potential and tweaking it.

As far as not listening to line out long, that is the problem with your analysis of the iPods. The line out is where the value starts and iModded line out improves on it.

Do you understand digital...at all? As long as the X5 sends a bit-perfect signal (it probably does, I don't really know though), the digital out of an X5 and the digital-out of an iRiver, would be the same.

And if I can get the digital out to work, I can use it with an external DAC (such as the Micro DAC from headroom, or the iBasso D1, or the new Headroom Micro amp which includes a DAC) and it should trump the X5, iPod, iMod, etc.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Do you understand digital...at all? As long as the X5 sends a bit-perfect signal (it probably does, I don't really know though), the digital out of an X5 and the digital-out of an iRiver, would be the same.

I misunderstood what you were trying to do; honestly I must have lost sight of it in the rhetoric. I would guess that people have been wanting to do what you are saying since they dropped optical from PCDPs. I'd expect a spdif connection would be less intrusive power-wise.

Using a better quality DAC may beat out the rest but then again the same theory would hold true to take an iPod straight to DAC, or PCDP to DAC, etc. So solve that issue once and it's essentially solved for all sources.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

I misunderstood what you were trying to do; honestly I must have lost sight of it in the rhetoric. I would guess that people have been wanting to do what you are saying since they dropped optical from PCDPs. I'd expect a spdif connection would be less intrusive power-wise.

Using a better quality DAC may beat out the rest but then again the same theory would hold true to take an iPod straight to DAC, or PCDP to DAC, etc. So solve that issue once and it's essentially solved for all sources.

Yes, but you'd have to attempt the mod I'm trying to do for my X5 on an iPod, so they are equal in that respect.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

I thought at one point some company was offering that around $2000 but I can't remember where. From the amount of discussion of that fine modification I guess it never took off.

here it is, the $2000 iPod with it's docking station's and it's Fiberoptic lineout. not quite portable.
http://www.msbtech.com/products/iLink.php

ya know I saw some other sites I wish I had saved that are doing iMods something like Vinnies. anyone know who?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back