Would a high end DAC make a significant difference in 320 kbps MP3 files?
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dulalala

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi sorry for the relatively noobish question, but can someone explain to me if having a better DAC that has support for 384kHz/64bit (as an example) will affect the sound quality significantly if I use 320 kbps MP3 files? Thanks!

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 5
320kbps MP3 is only 16bit/44100hz. Using a DAC with that kind of resolution compatibility is pointless, and if it upsamples the signal, chances are any difference is due to distortion and noise thanks to the upsampling.

If anything the analogue output section might be what makes a difference, but that assumes that whatever you're using now has a very low signal voltage that your amplifier has to compensate too much that you get noise and/or distortion from the amp, or the response is deliberately skewed.

Just use whatever cheap but known to be good enough DAC that is compatible with whatever source you're using, stop sweating the possible difference and just sit back and listen.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hi sorry for the relatively noobish question, but can someone explain to me if having a better DAC that has support for 384kHz/64bit (as an example) will affect the sound quality significantly if I use 320 kbps MP3 files? Thanks!

Regular CD-Audio is 16-bit/44.1K and any mp3 (320k) or FLAC made from that source will not really need to be any higher then 16-bit/44.1K.
So can't really see you having a need for a DAC that can do 64-bit/384K

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 5
It depends on your headphones and your source. If your current devices already have a good chipset in them, then no, it won't make any difference @320kbps. However, if you have devices with low quality DACs (read: Nexus 6P, basic desktop) consider picking up a small, entry-level DAC such as the Sound Blaster E3 or FiiO K1. Those devices will be more than enough for 320kbps tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back