Worthwhile upgrade for JVC HA-RX700 for around $150, under $100 if possible
Apr 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Rhymenoceros

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all!

I've had a RX700 for a couple years now, always surprised at the quality for the price paid but it's pretty beaten up now and I think it's about time to upgrade.  After browsing through a number of threads and asking questions in the general help thread I believe I narrowed it down to a few sets that would fit what I'm looking for, so I'm going ahead and making a thread to help me whittle it down further. 

I'm not the best yet at describing the type of sound I want, but essentially I'm looking for what the RX700 gave me but more:  great detail, clear mids and highs, good soundstage and positioning, and hopefully with a bit of warmth and bass I can feel at the same time.  I may want to try something  a little more analytical this time around, so probably willing to sacrifice the low end for more clarity. 

I listen to a wide variety of genres but primarily rock (indie and otherwise), electronic/dance (Bjork, Burial, Massive Attack, etc), and occasional smatterings of jazz, rap, and classical. 

My setup is at home a desktop PC going to a Creative X-Fi USB DAC (supposedly able to power up to 330ohms), and on the go an iPod Classic with a LOD to a Fiio E5.  This would probably be mainly home use, but I would like portability for when I need it at all possible.  I could scrimp/save and push my budget to around $150 but if I could find a noticeable upgrade for under $100 it would be great. 

Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to:

Shure SRH840 (had some experience with SRH440, was good but maybe a little lacking in bass and probably not an extensive upgrade from the RX700)
Brainwavz HM5
ATH-M50 (It seems a bit overly recommended around here, but if it's the kind of upgrade I'm looking for or need I'll go for it)

Under $100 if any of you think it may be a decent upgrade:

Koss Pro DJ100 (the build and warranty seem appealing too)
Sony MDR-ZX700 or MDR-V6 (I'm guessing FWIR that the ZX700 would be the superior sound signature, but the V6 may be better for portability if I need it?)

Also have been suggested the Creative Aurvana Live! and HFI780, and have considered Denon D1100, but maybe too bassy for my tastes?  I like warmth and a little punch/extension in low end but don't want it to drown everything else.

Any other suggestions welcome, though I'm really trying to narrow it down from here.  Thank you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back